Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

New to skincare

I’m 16 and im really new to skincare and wasn’t really taught anything about it. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend stuff to me and give advice? From what I can tell im pretty sure I have dry  oily skin if that makes any sense? And I have SOME black and whiteheads around my t zone and forehead,and dark circles. I don’t really get pimples just white/blackheads. I don’t think I have sensitive skin but not sure, I’ve tried the ordinary,cetaphil, and proactive(when I had my first breakout) and none seem to work. If anyone is willing to help please do 🙂

Re: New to skincare

I have a 16 year old daughter and I'm always looking and teaching her what brands suit her skin better. I really recommend for young skin a clean brand. My daughters favorite is Youth To The People. Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m...  

For the black head try the Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots 40 Healing Dots they are easy to use. 

My best advise is always have 3 steps easy. 1.Cleanser, 2. Moisturizer, 3. Sunscreen. and you go from there. 

Good luck 

@emmy69420 For general skincare basics, I rec reading "The Original Beauty Bible (*Third Edition*)" by Paula Begoun.  I found it to be super informative, as did my friend whose sister is a derm.

Hey! I had the same problem when I was around your age, I think vanicream cleanser is perfect, it's from the drugstore and it helps a lot, it's really good for any skin types. I would also use a good moisturizer because it sounds like you have combination skin, I like to use the inkeylist peptide moisturizer and I use the hyaluronic acid serum from inkeylist as well, helps with moisturizing! And for detox masks I like to use the caudalie detox mask in the green bottle! 

Hi @emmy69420 ! I'm glad you're getting into skincare at a young age. 2 quick questions for you:

1. Exactly which Proactive system/kit (or product) did you use? The original Proactiv kit contains benzoyl peroxide. The Proactiv+ kit has benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid (BHA). And the ProactivMD kit has adapalene. 

2. Does your Cetaphil cleanser contain salicylic acid? 

For blackheads, 2 of the usual go-tos are salicylic acid (BHA) and a clay mask. BHA gets down into your pores to degunk 'em. A clay mask can absorb excess oil and might even loosen blackheads a bit. When using a clay mask, don't let it sit on your skin long enough to fully dry down. You'll want to rinse it off while it's still somewhat wet. Clay can dry skin out if misused. 

Here's a very simple skincare routine to consider: 

Night: 

Spoiler
  1. Cleanser (nightly) - your current cleanser's probably fine. 

2. Acne treatment (1-3x a week) - to get BHA and a clay mask in one step, consider The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . 

3. Moisturizer (nightly) - you mentioned using The Ordinary's moisturizer. Did you mean this product? The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA 3.3 oz/ 100 mL 

Morning: 

Spoiler
  1. Cleanser (optional, as needed) - I have mostly-dry combo skin (my oily zone is just on and around my nose) and find that the more often I wash my face, the worse it behaves. So I often skip the AM face wash. I just very gently wipe my face with a wet plush microfiber cloth like The Original MakeUp Eraser Foodie MakeUp Eraser 7-Day Set . If I do need a morning wash, I use a very gentle cream cleanser (my favorite is Paula's Choice RESIST Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser, but CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is another option) or a cleansing balm (either The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL or Paula's Choice Omega + Complex Cleansing Balm 3.5 oz/ 104 mL )—and sometimes I use it just around my eyes. 

2. Moisturizer (daily) - you can probably use your PM moisturizer here. 

3. Broad spectrum sunscreen (daily) - minimum SPF 30, applied generously to ALL skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) all year long, regardless of weather or season. Depending on the sunscreen you use, you can even skip the moisturizer step and let the sunscreen double as a moisturizer. It can be any type of sunscreen—chemical, mineral, or hybrid—since all types work largely the same way and one's not automatically better than another. A popular one that's easy to apply is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ , a chemical sunscreen; I often use that one myself. I rotate through several others on a regular basis, though. My current favorite mineral sunscreen is Native Unscented Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30, which you can find at Target (if you're in the US) or order direct from Native's site. If you have a local Trader Joe's, see if they have this sunscreen everyone claims is an Unseen Sunscreen dupe for much less money: 
    TJsunscreen.jpeg

For dark circles, treatment depends on what's causing them. If they're genetic (others in your family have them) or you have sunken skin where the dark circles are (for most folks, like me, it's hollow tear troughs), then your best option is color corrector and/or concealer. Topical skincare products won't reverse those dark circles. Do you have allergies and frequently rub your eyes? Getting enough sleep? Those are other common causes of dark circles. They can also be caused by sun damage. 

Omg thank you so much ❤️ And yes that’s the moisturizer I use! I don’t think my wash does contain that but I’ll go check, I also don’t remember what set it was..

Thank you! And yes I use the ordinary natural moisturizer:) all I have is cetaphil face wash and that moisturizer.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • TJsunscreen.jpeg
testing