Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

New post about products causing breakouts!

EDIT: I've taken the advice I got on my old post (I pasted it below) and I have only been using the TATCHA - The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser and the BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb and the breakouts have gotten worse, I have a bunch of white heads al my nose, forehead, and chin. I don't know how to figure out which one or if both are causing the breakouts. Should I try a new product?

OLD POST: When you’re trying a new product, how long should you give it before you can confirm that it’s causing you to break out more or if it just doesn’t work for you? I had to toss out all of my skin care products (Curology) because it literally made my skin burn. So I bought all new stuff from Sephora but I had no way of gradually adding the new products in because I had nothing else to gradually add it to or to compare it with. I don’t know how to figure out if these products work or if they’re making my acne worse....some advice would be really appreciated!!  

Mornings

clean and clear sensitive face wash (I've been using this product for a while so I think it's safe for now)

Witch hazle 

BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb

OLEHENRIKSEN - Banana Bright Eye Crème for my under eyes

Neutrogena SPF55 sunscreen

At night

TATCHA - The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser

Witch hazle

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL

BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb

OLEHENRIKSEN - Banana Bright Eye Crème

Re: New post about products causing breakouts!

Have you been using the Neutrogena product long or is that new too? For me, I can't use any Neutrogena products. They cause me to break out, aka a bunch of white heads, that I then realized was an allergic reaction, not acne. My sister is able to use Neutrogena fine, but not me. I have no other problems with any other product I've tried, and believe me, I use so many different skin care products, serums, oils, creams, washes, exfoliants, and have had no issues, except with Neutrogena. 

Also, I agree with the person who said only use the deep cleanser a couple of times a week. The more you exfoliate, the more you take out the natural oils from you face, then your face will start producing more oils. I have very acne prone skin and I find that the more I treat it right and pamper it, the better it behaves. 

Good luck. 

I used the nuetrogena product for several months and it didn’t cause any breakouts but it didn’t help

@amandadawnj A cleanser shouldn't treat acne, it doesn't stay on the skin long enough to treat. Use a basic, smooth cleanser daily. Skin easily gets irritated from daily exfoliation, which worsens acne. One good leave on acne treatment and moisturizer/spf. 

Go by ingredients that work for your skin, rather than bestselling.

I don’t know what ingredients work for my skin yet but I’m learning. What are products that you recommend to help with acne?

For acne, I use prescriptions as there's more ingredient choices. You may want to start with a dermatologist, to learn your skin and find a path that works. 

Others will probably chime in on otc options. Different types of acne have different treatments.

New post about products causing breakouts!

@amandadawnj I would recommend removing the Tatcha exfoliant for now. I have sensitive skin and this stuff doesn't sit well with my skin. I would try switching over to a gentle, safe for sensitive skin face wash. Purity Made Simple by Philosophy works well as well as FAB Oatmeal Cleanser. Fresh also has a nice Soy Cleanser that is pretty safe. I will be completely honest with you though, it may take a while before your skin heals/recovers from damaging skin care products. for now, keep things simple. drink plenty of water. P.S. as a side note...not sure how often you we're using the exfoliant but you should not be using it every day. This will damage your skin.

Thanks!! Do the products that you suggested help with acne? I got the tat ya cleanser because it was the best selling product for acne 

@amandadawnj I personally think using spot treatments are...

@amandadawnj I personally think using spot treatments are better for controlling acne. applying acne products to your whole face might not be the best idea (at least in my opinion). I have dry skin/sensitive skin so I only use spot treatments when I get acne. I like Origins one. works well, apply it at night and just moisturize around it.

I know it probably sounds counter intuitive but commit to the Korean beauty regime, in which their goal is to hydrate the face as much as possible. 

I've always have had acne and was super scared to try any type of moisturizer, cream, oil. I never thought that it would work. I always used Proactive products which are so harsh and it left my skin looking red, but my acne was better.  I would just cover up my bad skin with thick make up. So, in searching for something to help my under eye creases, I came across the Korean beauty routine. 

It's ten steps (sounds like a lot, but it isn't really).

1. oil cleanser to gently remove make up and impurities (only at night)

2. double cleanse gentle cleanser (only at night)

3. Exfoliator only 2-3 times a week (only at night)

4. toner

5. essence

6. treatments

7. sheet masks 2-3 times a week

8. eye cream 

9. face moisturizer 

10. spf (morning)

It sounds like a lot, but really, it isn't too bad. I dove head first and got all the items needed, even a facial oil that is good on acne prone skin (yes, an oil). HERBIVORE - Lapis Balancing Facial Oil.

I use a water gel moisturizer in the mornings and the evenings I slather on a nice thick night cream, which my skin soaks up by morning. MURAD - Nutrient-Charged Water GelALGENIST - GENIUS Sleeping Collagen

My face has never looked better! Except for the exfoliator every couple of days, everything else is very gentle. I use anywhere from 10 to 20 products at night and 10 products for the day (different moisturizers and serums) and none of them are to "treat" acne.

Good luck. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing