Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

New Skin Routine

Hey everyone. I’m 19 years old I’m looking for a good brand for skincare. I’ve had my eyes on Youth to People, Tatcha, and Drunk Elephant. I’m looking for something preferably vegan with no scent. I want to do my research before spending a lot of money on new products. 

Let me know what you guys think!!

#youthtopeople
#tatcha

#drunkelephant

Re: New Skin Routine

Hi Shaunabon! I’m also 19 yrs old and changed my skincare routine about 3 months ago and I have seen amazing results so far! I have oily, acne prone skin and also deal with hyperpigmentation and dark circles. I’ll mention all the products I use (some are from Drink Elephant and YTTP) and you can check them out and see if they may be something you would like to try!

Cleansing Balm: Drunk Elephant Slaai™ Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser  (I use this every night to help take off sunscreen, and makeup whenever I wear it)

Cleansers: Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser (I use this every morning and 3-4 nights a week)

The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml (I use this 3-4 nights a week to help control my acne or whenever I experience breakouts)

Exfoliants: The INKEY List Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL (I use this every night to help exfoliate dead skin cells and help brighten my dark spots)

Paula's Choice Mini Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 1 oz/ 30 mL (I use this every morning and really helps to blur my pores and tighten my skin. If you have sensitive skin, I believe this will help you because it’s gentle)

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL (I use this once a week to just completely exfoliate everything that has happened throughout the week. I do recommend patch testing this first if you decide to try it because it can be too harsh for some people’s skin)

Serums: The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  (I use this day and night every day. Really helps to brighten my skin and I can verify that it does help to control sebum.)

The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml (I use this twice a week since Retinol is a very strong ingredient, but you can use it up to 3 times a week. I started using it cause I have extreme smile lines that I wanted to fade, but I would recommend building up your skin to using it many times a week.

Eye Cream: First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Niacinamide Brightening Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL (I use this day and night every day and I have seen the immediate and long term effect it’s had on brightening my dark circles)

Moisturizer: First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL (I use this day and night everyday and it does wonders for oily skin! It’s very lightweight and sinks into the skin immediately without making me look oily)

Sunscreen: Dr. Jart+ Every Sun Day™ Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 50+ 1.69 oz / 50 mL (I use this every morning even if I’m not going outside. I have medium skin so I do notice a bit of a white cast, but it goes away if you work it in.)

tarte SEA Set & Protect Mineral Sunscreen Powder Broad Spectrum SPF 30 0.28 oz/ 8 g (I use this everyday every 2 hours after my initial sunscreen in the morning to help keep my skin protected. This especially works for me since I have oily skin because it helps to control my oiliness)

Those are all the products I use and they have been working for me. I hope some of these caught your eye and you can test them out for yourself!

I would definitely choose youth to the people and drunk elephant over tatcha. I think tatcha has very pretty packaging and smells nice  but that’s about it from my experience,  and if I’m going to spend $$$ I want results. Another brand that is very effective but pretty reasonable in cost is the inkey list. Their salicylic acid cleanser works amazing! Cleans out your pores but does not dry your skin out whatsoever and I believe it’s like $10. Youth to the people’s superfood cleanser is amazing as well. I rotate between these two everyday. I love drunk elephants serums. I rotate through the powerpeptide, TLC, and the retinol. I definitely think they are overpriced however I haven’t found anything that works as well. Please remember that you do not need to only stick with one brand (unless you want to)..like some brands say you do like **cough cough dunk elephant**. I know sometimes it makes things simpler, but that can make things get really really pricey. Good luck with your new routine and don’t forget sunscreen!!

Hi @Shaunabon I really like the Origins clay masks and the mega mushroom lotion to use as soon I come out the shower. I have also really been liking how hydrating the glow recipe banana moisturizer is on my skin. I also recommend the Ren toner, I have sensitive skin so I switch out that toner for the Glow recipe toner and I enjoy those most so far! 🙂 I would recommend Fresh products as well, the rose and Black Tea line is very luxuriously moisturizing if that is what you're into. Im getting into my 30's in a few months and I need to keep my skin barrier moisturized and protected as well as I can now.

Hi @Shaunabon ! I've tried products by all 3 brands you listed. My skincare routine's a mix of products by various brands, because there's no single brand whose entire product line works for me. But I jotted some quick notes based on what you're looking for: 

Wants/needsYouth To The PeopleTatchaDrunk Elephant
VeganYep.Nope. Some products are vegan, others aren't. Yep. 
Fragrance freeNope. YTTP's added fragrance components (limonene, hexyl cinnamal, etc.) to their products lately.Nope. Several Tatcha products are fragranced. Yep. 
Cleanser1 gel cleanser, and it contains fragrance. 1 oil cleanser, 1 cream cleanser, 1 gel cleanser, & 4 enzyme powder exfoliating cleansers. 1 cleansing balm, 1 micellar water, 1 gel cleanser, 1 cleansing bar, & 1 exfoliating cleansing bar. 
Moisturizer2 creams, 1 facial oil, 1 hydrating mask (basically another cream moisturizer), & 1 hydrating mist.5 creams, 1 neck cream, 1 facial oil, & 1 hydrating mist. 2 creams, 1 facial oil, & 1 electrolyte "mask" that's really just a moisturizer. 

Sunscreen 

(You didn't mention it, but you do need it!)

None.1 broad spectrum hybrid (mineral + chemical) SPF 35 PA+++2 broad spectrum mineral SPF 30 sunscreens: one's tinted, the other's not. 

You also mentioned creams and serums. Which brand's creams and serums will be best for you depends on your specific needs: what specifically do you want additional creams (do you mean eye creams?) to do for your skin? Not everyone needs products beyond a gentle cleanser, good moisturizer, and sunscreen, so don't feel like you must build a long complex skincare routine just for the sake of doing it. 🙂 

My personal experiences with those 3 brands—note that your experiences may be different, since we don't all have the same skin: 

Spoiler
I can't use cleansers by any of those brands. I've tried YTTP's, 2 of DE's, and 1 of Tatcha's, and they all left my mostly-dry combo skin feeling very tight, stripped, and itchy-dry. One of the DE cleansers (Pekee Bar) caused a red burning reaction around my eyes. 😞 

I haven't tried every Tatcha skincare product. But of all those I've tried, the only one my skin tolerates is their lip mask. 😄 Something in Tatcha products (including their Silk Canvas primer) irritates my skin. Many other people have no issues with the brand, though. 

My skin also hates nearly every Drunk Elephant product I've tried, including Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL which causes a bumpy itchy reaction on my face. But I do like Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL : I used to use it in winter. I stopped using it a year or 2 ago. Oh, and I can use their leave-on exfoliants. But I don't seek out DE products for my routine. 

I used to love Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... . It was my favorite AM and PM moisturizer. Sadly, YTTP reformulated it with several fragrance components, and I can no longer use it. I asked YTTP directly about their reformulation (so did another BIC member) and couldn't get a straight honest answer from them. So I no longer trust YTTP as a brand, and I'm phasing them completely out of my routine. That's too bad, because their hydrating mist is quite nice, as is one of their jarred masks. 

The brands and products I use daily in my skincare routine: 

Spoiler
At night, I remove makeup with either Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover or The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL , then wash my face and body with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar. I use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer. I also use a retinoid treatment each night by Avene (it's a retinaldehyde cream; I use it mainly to reduce large areas of hyperpigmentation). I use Glossier Bubblewrap as a lip serum and top it with Aquaphor Ointment as a lip balm. 

In the morning, I either gently wipe my face with a wet plush microfiber cloth or use Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser. I repeat the Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer and rotate through various broad spectrum sunscreens. In addition to Glossier Bubblewrap and Aquaphor, I apply a Vanicream SPF lip balm. 

Most nights and mornings, I also use some combo of these: hydrating + antioxidant toner, hydrating serum, soothing/anti-inflammatory serum, hydrating mist, hyperpigmentation treatments, exfoliants (1-3 times a week, usually AHA, BHA, or PHA), and sheet masks. It depends on what my skin needs at the time. Brands include It's Skin, COSRX, Paula's Choice, Good Molecules, Timeless, The Ordinary, and The Inkey List. 

You can definitely find less expensive options than Tatcha, Drunk Elephant, and YTTP. Several drugstore brand products work just as well, and there are plenty of great options within The Ordinary and The Inkey List's lineup. But if you want to stick to one of those 3 brands you mentioned, you'll need to research each product you're after and decide what'll work best for your needs and skincare goals. 

Wow!  @WinglessOne , your knowledge is so impressive and this info is so helpful!  🌟🌟🌟

Aw, thank you @Titian06 ! 😊

Yes thank you so much!! 

@Shaunabon  All 3 are really good brands, my favorite out of them is youth to the people. The Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser is scented but it is light and not overwhelming. The Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m...  is a great moisturizer that is barely scented. The Youth To The People 15% Vitamin C + Caffeine Energy Brightening Serum for Uneven Tone 1 oz / 30 ml is the best vitamin c I’ve tried, but it is scented. I don’t think the scent is too strong though. Tatcha is great but almost everything I’ve tried from them has a kinda strong scent. Drunk elephant Protini is a really good unscented moisturizer. The Beste jelly cleanser is ok and I don’t remember it having a scent. Their vitamin c has a strong unpleasant scent though.

@Shaunabon I have tried all 3 brands that you mentioned.  What are you looking for in particular?

I’m looking for a good cleanser, moisturizer, creams, and/or serums. I’m honestly open to whatever!

@Shaunabon Do you have a budget and what's your skin type?

The cheaper the better, and its normal and a bit sensitive

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 25 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing