cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need skincare recommendations!!

Hi beauties,

I've recently stepped into the vast world of skincare only about a year ago, so I'm a beginner. I'm approaching 21 years old and have combination skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry everywhere else). My concerns at the moment are dead skin, texture (little bumps), discoloration, acne scars, and hydration. I'm looking for a really good exfoliating cleanser, a heavy overnight moisturizer, and a really good day moisturizer that could be worn under makeup and would keep my oils at bay. Might even have to switch up my entire skincare routine lol. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Re: Need skincare recommendations!!

Skin care can be a super daunting task. But I'd say it gets down to feeling it out with your skin and sticking to a routine. Getting to know your skin is something that will eventually come with time. But I don't think you'll need an extensive skin care regimen since you're so young. You should look for a cream like make up remover (I use a super basic drug store one - ponds), when you're cleansing your face that should help take everything off especially if you like playing with eye makeup. It'll just melt it right off, but be super gentle on your eyes. Set one should be getting all the makeup off before you start putting on any toners or moisturizers. 

I'd recommend double cleansing that way if you start with a rich creamy makeup remover, it also acts as a great moisturizer as well. The next cleanser you should look for should be something that balances out the amount of moisture you're putting onto your skin with the first cleanser. So something like a charcoal cleanser might be nice and deep cleansing. Next you should use a toner but anything that stings your eyes is too abrasive for your skin. That's my general rule of thumb. Sometimes I'll use a toner that stings to clear up any break outs I have, like a rose water toner. I use the first aid ultra repair cream in the winter and my skin is so soft, moisturized and hydrated! Throw in some masks a couple nights and week and you'll be golden. 

My saving grace has been the duo face brush by sephora. I will use it when I'm cleansing my face with the cream cleanser and it acts as an exfoliator that will literally take out all your dead skin, clear your pores and leaves your skin feeling super soft and smooth. I use it with the cream cleanser because I feel like it's not as abrasive on my skin.

In my books that is a good place to start and grow your skin care regimen as you get to know your skin. 

RE: Need skincare recommendations!!

@jmuii Skincare can be very overwhelming! You have your youth on your side so it’s all about prevention right now. For your acne and scarring, I would recommend Sunday Riley’s UFO oil at night. For your oil, I would truly recommend a Korean Skincare regime called the “7 skin method”. Your skin is dehydrated, which in turn, makes it produce more sebum. The 7 skin method is very simple: apply a hydrating essence 7 times in a row. I used to be oily and this method makes my skin hydrated alllll day without having to apply heavy moisturizers. I have a thread in Skincare Aware that talks all about it. You can find amazing Essences for less than $20. After this step I every morning, I would use a Vitamin C Serum like Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum. It will also help brighten and fade any dark spots. Finish off with an SPF and you’re set! I would recommend Cane+Austin Prime and Protect. It’s actually a mattifying primer that smooths, is tinted and is also has SPF 50! It’s my most favorite primer ever. If I’m correct, we’re both of Asian decent. Lucky for us, we age pretty gracefully. Lol. My skin is better now at 37 than it was at 27. I know this is a lot; for both our heads and our wallets! Keep your routine simple. Hope this has helped! ❤️❤️❤️

Need skincare recommendations!!

Hey There! Skincare can be daunting, but it's lots of fun trying stuff out! For removing dead skin and also Exfoliating, try using Peter Thomas Roths Firmx Peeling Gel. You rub this over your face and it removes all the dead skin cells while Exfoliating your skin. For a heavier night cream, Philosphy's Renwed Hope in a Jar is phenomenal. Even at my very worst for dry skin this stuff clears it up in an instant. For a lighter moisturizer for in the morning, I'd recommend Caudalie Moisturizing Sorbet. It's light weight yet effective. As for helping with the bumps on your skin, you should try using Origins Retextureizing Mask with Rose Clay. It helps to smooth over any impurities such as those and it also helps exfoliate. Hope this helps!

RE: Need skincare recommendations!!

I am newer to skin care and have been testing sample sizes to see how my skin reacts to certain things. I find it’s better to go with the small sizes at first to see what you like best ( every skin is different) I can honestly say after trying 12 plus of Sephoras brands my ABSOLUTE GO TO skin care products are by kate Somerville and drunk elephant. Anything from those two companies will not disappoint !!!
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing