Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need serum for dry skin

Hi friends.. I'm looking to add serum in my daily routine. I use moisturizer but it's not enough for my dry skin. Should I spend money on a good moisturizer or try serum may be containing hyaluronic acid before applying miosturizer? My skin is dry and I'm 30+ so starting seeing fine lines around my mouth area. Thanks!!

Re: Need serum for dry skin

I have really dry skin too, I've been using StackedSkincare's HA Hyaluronic Acid serum and Drunk Elephant Protini moisturizer together and it's helped a lot. On really dry days I just use rosebud salve all over my face. 

Hi @Wadhera ! I have questions: 

1. Which moisturizer do you currently use? If it's not doing enough, you should consider replacing it with one that contains more occlusive ingredients like petrolatum, shea butter, squalane, sunflower oil, argan oil, safflower oil, marula oil, mineral oil, or dimethicone—though your dry skin might not be very impressed by dimethicone unless it's combined with at least one other occlusive. (Dimethicone seems to fare better on oily skin; it may not be moisturizing enough for some folks' dry skin.) I don't want to recommend a moisturizer without knowing what you already use. 

2. Do you apply moisturizer to damp skin, or do you apply it when your skin's dried down? The former is a much better habit than the latter. If your skin's dried down by the time you reach the moisturizer step of your routine, tap or mist a little water on your skin and then apply moisturizer while your skin's damp. This gives your moisturizer some hydration to seal into your skin. 

Spoiler
You can use a hydrating mist instead of plain ol' water if you'd like. Throughout my routine, I use COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner whenever my skin dries down.

When I use The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL (one of my favorite hydrating serums), I follow it with Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL . I find these 2 products are a fantastic hydrating pair: Buffet's hyaluronic acid bearhugs the YTTP mist, and I get skin-strengthening (and hydrating) peptides from both products. I quickly follow that with my moisturizer. 

Hydrating serums & other products: I already mentioned Buffet, but you could also consider something that contains polyglutamic acid (aka PGA, another humectant that may be even more effective than hyaluronic acid) like The INKEY List Polyglutamic Acid Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . (If your skin's sensitive to coconut, avoid that PGA serum.) Both The Ordinary and The Inkey List also make standalone hyaluronic acid serums. 

Spoiler
You could also consider a hydrating toner or essence. In the morning, I alternate between e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence and Good Molecules Niacinamide Brightening Toner, both of which contain hyaluronic acid and niacinamide. (I'm testing the Good Molecules product; the e.l.f. product is a tried and true staple in my routine.) Hydrating Water Essence also contains many other hydrating ingredients: carrageenan, urea, sodium PCA, coconut water, and trehalose. 

If your skin likes honey, that's another good humectant. I use some honey sheet masks once in a while, but I can't use honey too frequently on my skin. You may want to check out Farmacy's honey-based products. 

Where to start??  For hydrating I love Skininc My Daily Dose; SkinMedica HA5; Innisfree Intensive Hydrating Serum; and Lue by Jean Seo Balance. 

@Mamalion1313 I love Skin Medica's HA5. My dermatologist recommended it.  Isn't it amazing?

Hey! I had a problem with dry skin too (still have a bit). I had try to use a serum and an hydration cream, but once I found a really good cream I didnt need the serum as much. I’m 28 ans starting to see fine lines too. I would recommend to you the Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisturizing Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 2 oz/ 60 mL # (although expensive it is very much worth the price). And for the night, Biotherm Aquasource Everplump Night #

Both are expensive, but you won’t need no serum with these + you need a really small amount, so they last very long.

@Wadhera The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 2 oz/ 60 mL 💧

I’ve used this serum from the ordinary and for the price, it’s excellent. I don’t like the texture as much as the more expensive options I suggested further down this thread, which is why I switched, but the hydration you get from this is pretty similar to the more expensive options. If cost is a factor - I think this serum is an excellent choice.

My vote is for a serum! I really like both the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and the Caudalie Vinosource SOS Deep Hydration Serum.

Additionally if your skin is very dry and you aren’t as concerned about breakouts, adding a facial oil might help. I’ve been really enjoying the The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mL.

I typically go all out and do serum, moisturizer and oil as my skin gets very dry in the winter and I’ve noticed that my fine lines are much less visible when my skin is very hydrated. 

Thanks for suggesting. I would definitely go for serum an...

Thanks for suggesting. I would definitely go for serum and add moisturizer on top.
12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing