Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need advice on eye makeup removal

I'm trying a different method of removing my eye makeup, and I need some help refining it.  For years, I washed my face with First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser when I got home from work.  It removed a lot of eye makeup, leaving me with some trace amounts under my eyes, near my upper lash line and occasionally on my lashes.  Before bed, I would use Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover, followed by DHC Olive Cleansing Oil (just a little) and then wash my face with the FAB.

Now, I'd like to remove all my eye makeup when I come home from work.  I've been soaking a Shiseido Super-Soft, 100% Natural Facial Cotton 165 sheets in the PC remover, pressing it lightly for 60 seconds, then swiping the cotton pad around to remove my eye makeup.  My eyeliner comes off, but I'm struggling with the mascara.  I feel like I'm wiping and wiping - I have to wipe upward to get the mascara that's left on my lashes off.  Even then, I can't get it all off.  So, I'm having to use a fair amount of the cleansing oil.  Then, I wash my eye area and face with the FAB cleanser.  I feel like this is causing harm to my eye area.  Any ideas on what I can do to improve?

For reference, the eye makeup I'm trying to remove is SEPHORA COLLECTION 12 Hour Contour Pencil Eyeliner (this is waterproof, but easy to remove), Marc Jacobs Finerliner (waterproof, but easy to remove) and Essence Lash Princess in False Lash Effect (washable - NOT waterproof).

Thanks!

Re: Need advice on eye makeup removal

Hey There 😊

i had issue removing mascara earlier but then i tried pharmacy makeup remover balm.. Its soo good and ur makeup just slide off like butter..

Try itzzI love this product 💕

Try using take the day off by Clinique… 

@greeneyedgirl107  I usually use Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover on a reusable round the same way you do. If any eye makeup remains, I use either The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL or plain ol' Vaseline to very gently remove it. When using petroleum jelly, I let it sit on my lids &/or lashes for a minute before gently wiping it off with a wet bamboo round. My only issue with petroleum jelly is how blurry it sometimes makes my vision if I don't get it all off. I find the Oat Cleansing Balm does the job if I use the PC makeup remover first—which makes sense because that balm contains 3 oils. 

A friend of mine always removes eye makeup with Neutrogena Fragrance Free Body Oil, which is mostly an emollient (I forget which one) and sesame oil. I sometimes use that stuff on my body during winter as a moisturizer. I tried it on my eyes a couple times and didn't like it. I mean, I liked the idea of it: just gently rub some of it on the lids and lashes, and instead of wiping away mascara I could rub/pull it away with my fingers. But my eyeballs didn't like that body oil. They weren't super irritated but didn't feel 100% pain-free. I think some folks just tolerate that body oil around their eyes better than I do. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for the in-depth response.  🙂

Before washing my face with water and cleanser I usually take my eye makeup off with a mini makeup eraser. They're so good! If I'm not wearing much makeup a makeup eraser with just warm water works for me. But if I'm wearing more makeup, or using waterproof makeup, I put some Lancome eye makeup remover on the makeup eraser instead of water. It's my all time favorite! 

The Original MakeUp Eraser Wildflower MakeUp Eraser 7-Day Set Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover 

@greeneyedgirl107 I will apply the Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Sweet Apple all over my face and eye area, but before that, I soak a make-up eraser so I can easily grab it, I first remove the eye makeup then go onto the rest of my face, be very careful not to apply too much balm to your eyes

@lmaster Thanks for the insight into your technique!

@greeneyedgirl107 no problem! 

I second the farmacy balm. I find however that this does make a mess with eye makeup and even though i don’t usually have a lot of shadow on, i always have a black eyeliner & mascara. If i don’t feel like taking the time because it does get messy, i go in first with #Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover to remove eye makeup and then Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm to remove my face makeup and any reisiduals on my eye. Along with a The Original MakeUp Eraser Avocado Makeup Eraser Set its the magic combo

@aviscardi How do you incorporate this with the Makeup Eraser?  Do you massage the product onto your eyes, then wipe with a wet eraser?  I'm trying to come up with a gentle method 🙂

I apply like 2 generous scoops of the farmacy balm to the palm of my hand and massage it onto my dry face. Once i have it dispersed i will add a bit of water and massage further to get it to a nice light lather. Usually i let it sit on my face for a few minutes while i wash my beauty blender. By then it’s really melted away, so i can take a makeup eraser (run it under hot-ish water) and then gently press on your eyes to further melt away eye makeup. And use it to wipe away the balm and wash off your face before cleansing. This method works great for removing eye makeup too but like i said eyeliner and mascara get messy lol. @greeneyedgirl107 

@aviscardi Thanks for the detailed reply!

I had a similar problem removing mascara when I used the Essence Lash Princess False Effects @greeneyedgirl107. What works for me was Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Sweet Apple ( I use the Very Cherry scent which I can not tag). I plan on retiring that mascara because it doesn’t play well with my use of over the counter eye drops. 

@Loretta55 Have you noticed any eye irritation from the fragrance with this product?

I have no problem with the fragrance bothering my eyes @greeneyedgirl107 . I just rub my eyes for about a minute with the balm and wash it off with no problem.

Jumping in. I haven’t had an issue with the Apple scent, it’s very light. However this was LE so i don’t think this scent is available anymore on Sephora but it is still showing on the farmacy website. Along with the very cherry and they’re having a 20% off Labor Day sale. 

@greeneyedgirl107 I use Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover 3.4 oz/ 100 mL and then Bioderma Sensibio. If there is any residue left then I use MAC wipes. I use waterproof and regular mascara and don’t have any issues taking it off. 

@SportyGirly125 Interesting.  This wasn't even on my radar.  Does the balm make a mess with mascara?  I'm afraid the black of my mascara will go everywhere.  

Also, the directions say to rinse with water afterwards.  Do you use the Bioderma Sensibio on wet or dry skin?

Thanks for the info!

@greeneyedgirl107 You use the balm on dry skin and then you add some water to help get it lathering and your face clean.

I think anytime you use a balm with makeup it does make a mess.  I usually have a towel handy to wipe it off if needed.

With Bioderma Sensibio I use it on dry skin.

@SportyGirly125 Thanks!!!

27 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 65 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing