Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need a simple skincare routine!!!

Please help!! I'm 34 yrs old and I have oily skin with blackheads and acne scars on my cheeks. My skin seems dull and has a texture to it. I've never really had a skincare routine besides washing my face and using moisturizer. I'm looking to find a skincare routine that's simple and not super expensive. I recently bought these products but haven't got them yet. I was wondering if these products are good for the problems I have, and if there is anything else I might need to add? If so, in what order??

The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Acne + Blackhead Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL 

The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL  

The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum 

The INKEY List Omega Water Cream Oil-Free Moisturizer + Niacinamide 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Re: Need a simple skincare routine!!!

Kate Sommerville has good pdoubts for problem skins🐞🐞

Do you still experience breakouts, @beckyj08 or are you mostly just dealing with the scars left behind? And are those scars discolorations or textural scars? You've got a lot of actives listed here and likely don't need all of them, especially not without some other hydrating products, but if you want to keep it simple that may not be the best route to take. 

Thanks, @quspork for your help. I experience some breakouts but not a whole lot. It is mostly just acne scars, and they are textured not discolored. 

Gotcha, @beckyj08. So I'd focus more on the glycolic acid for now since that will help with the textural scars. I'd add it twice a week after your cleanser at night. Make sure to follow with moisturizer and wear sunscreen in the mornings when you go out (AHAs like glycolic make your skin more susceptible to sun damage). After a few weeks, you can add it more frequently if you feel you need to. But do keep an eye on how your skin is reacting. Glycolic is the stronger of the AHA options, so you may find that you need something more gentle like lactic acid instead. 

Hi!

You’re off to an awesome start here, I would alternate your evening retinol with something like Niacinamide - The Ordinary has a well priced one I like. I might also suggest some moisturizing serums because you have a lot of drying agents here. The water cream is a good idea but you might want to keep a hydrating serum on hand. I suggest hyaluronic acid, marine hyaluronics, or amino acid + B5, also all from The Ordinary. 

Remember not to use more than three formulas from The Ordinary in a single routine. I also don’t recommend using the retinol immediately after the toner. Direct acids can react with retinol. Try using your retinol about 30 minutes after the toner, if that causes issues maybe use toner on nights you don’t apply the retinol. You could also look for a hydrating toner. My absolute all time favourite is the essential power skin toner from Laneige but it’s more expensive than TO and TIL. 

hope this helps! 🙂

Thank you @Linz8503 for your help! I will try what you suggested and will post an update!!

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing