Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Need a new skin care routine!!

Hi!! I’m currently in my teens and I’m looking for a good skin care routine for somebody who has combination to oily skin, acne in the T-zone, chin, and starting on the cheeks, some acne scars, and clogged/larger pores. If you can help me that you be great since o don’t even know where to start!!

Re: Need a new skin care routine!!

Hi @Bennie131 ! I’m also a teenager with acne, and the brand that really transformed my skin was Proactiv. But it can be a bit drying, so if you have more dry skin, I’d suggest something hydrating. I also love Kate Somerville EradiKate Daily Cleanser 4 oz/ 120 mL , and this brand also has other products for acne in the Eradikate line. The Ordinary is also great because it’s inexpensive, effective, and simple The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . I would recommend talking to a dermatologist as well, because they will be able to help! It’s a good idea to start with using only a few products, because you don’t want to dry out or irritate your skin. Hyaluronic Acid is a really great moisturizing ingredient, so I would also look for that in a moisturizer! SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL  💧 I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, have an amazing day! 😊

@Bennie131 Proactiv Proactiv+ 3-Step System, 30 Day Introductory Size Proactiv Emergency Blemish Relief 

@Bennie131 You'll want to start slowly before adding in too many products. If you're setting up a new routine, a good base would be cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Adding in other products before you have those set could lead to irritation or even damage. Here are some recommendations for those areas:

-cleansers- philosophy Purity Made Simple First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 16 oz / 473 mL 

-moisturizers- belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb 1.68 oz/ 50 mL OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

-sunscreen- MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen 1.7 oz COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL 

Once you have those in place, you can look at adding other products to target your issues. A good BHA/salicylic acid will help with clogged pores and acne. Using a clay mask once a week can help keep oil in check. And vitamin C (particularly, L-ascorbic acid) can be super helpful with acne scars (as far as discolorations). If your scars are more textured, you may want to consider an AHA serum (Iactic or glycolic acid). 

@Bennie131  I just want to stress the importance of this point again, please, please, please don't start using several new products at once, it never ends well! We all want to see results yesterday but please following @quspork advice and start with just the basics and add additional products in slowly, one at a time. 🙂

I also have combo-oily skin and I also recommend the belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb 1.68 oz/ 50 mL I have also recently tried Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and I really like that one as well.

For cleanser, I would recommend a gentle cleanser,my personal favorite is Fresh Soy Face Cleanser Limited Edition 6.7 oz/ 200 mL

SPF is a hard one for me since I haven't found one I love yet but the best one so far has been Farmacy Green Defense Daily Mineral Sunscreen I also like Kate Somerville UncompliKated SPF 50 Soft Focus Makeup Setting Spray You should re-apply sunscreen throughout the day but when I am wearing a face full of makeup I can't slather more on so I reach for this which I can spray right on top of my makeup.

Hi @Bennie131!

For acne and scars, the best thing is to talk to a dermatologist.  They're the most knowledgable and will be able to prescribe you the best medications to treat them.

Oily skin is really just skin that's dehydrated so moisturizing and drinking water is important.  I use Cetaphil Cleanser for normal to oily skin, OLEHENRIKSEN Balancing Force™ Oil Control Toner 6.5 oz/ 193 mL, Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Treatment Face Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL for oily skin, acne and pores, Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... and sunscreen.  You can use some blotting sheets throughout the day as needed to remove excess oils.

For pores and scars, you could try The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing