cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need Help!

Hi everyone! 

I'm struggling to develop a skincare routine, because I've recently realized that the one I've been using is not working for me. I have oily, somewhat acne-prone skin (I tend to get a hormonal breakout on my left cheek, but aside from that my skin is clear). I've been using Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL to remove my makeup and wash my face, alternating with First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL when my skin needs a deeper cleanse. After cleansing, I use Thayers Witch Hazel Coconut water toner (sometimes I skip this step if my skin feels too tight after washing), followed by OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum® Mini in the morning, and OLEHENRIKSEN Invigorating Night Transformation™ Gel 1.0 oz/ 30 mL at night, both followed by OLEHENRIKSEN - Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer. I'm not in love with any of the products, except the Tatcha oil cleanser, and I don't feel like the ingredients are as natural or as effective as I would like them to be. I know the basics of a routine (Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize, and occasionally Exfoliate) but even after doing extensive research, I am lost on what products I should be using to keep my skin happy, balance out the oil, and prevent breakouts. Every time I find a product that I think would help, it has a harmful ingredient or bad reviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

RE: Need Help!

I definitely agree with adding spf. Not just because of the vitamin c, but Ole’s invigorating night gel contains Aha’s. Both vitamin C and aha’s can increase our photo sensitivity. This means the sun can be doing damage to your skin, even if you don’t get a sunburn. I use primarily Tatcha for almost every step in my routines so my opinion might be a little biased, but if you’re getting a tight or dry feeling after cleansing with FAB (which I did every time when I used FAB) I’d recommend Tatcha’s deep cleanse or rice polish. Also to combat the breakouts and balance your skin I’d also recommend introducing Niacinamide. The Ordindary has a niacinamide serum I’ve been using for a couple years that’s extremely affordable and works well. It also doesn’t have a bunch of hidden ingredients that could cause issues. I recommend alternating nights between this and the night gel from Ole, since they work at different ph levels and could cancel each other out as well as cause irritation if you use them together.

RE: Need Help!

I would add a sunscreen especially if you’re using anything with vitamin c. I’m concerned about your skin feeling tight. Your routine seems fine but looking at adding a hydrating mask or sheet mask may help. Also, keep track of your water and sugar intake. I noticed the oil ness of my skin reduce when I started drinking at least a liter water consistently.

Re: Need Help!

I have a similar skin type to you (oily and acne prone). I haven't perfected my skincare routine but I can share what I'm working with now for nighttime. I remove my makeup with the Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL. I actually started using this after switching from the Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL (which I also liked, but the Farmacy one is better at removing everything, especially waterproof eye makeup). I follow that with the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Pore Perfecting Cleansing Gel 7.5 oz/ 225 mL, which I think has made a big difference in keeping acne at bay. It's important for us to use AHAs and BHAs for our skin type. Then I tone with the Paula's Choice 2% Salicylic Acid Exfoliator. At this point, I want to incorporate a serum but haven't used one yet. Just purchased Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum 20% Vitamin C + 10% AHA 1 oz/ 30 mL so I'll see how that goes for me (apparently everyone should be using vitamin C cause it helps to brighten, even out, and anti-age). My final step is the acne.org glycolic acid moisturizer.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing