cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

National SPF Day 2023 ☀️

Hello BIC, 

As you might all know National SPF Day ☀️ this year is rapidly approaching. May 27, 2023. I like to think SPF Day is every day because it is so important for our skin! I would love everyone to share their tips and tricks for sun safety and of course favourite sunscreens.

My favourite combo right now is using Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL as my base and applying Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation 20 Mulholland  over it. Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL I am still able to apply sunscreen over my makeup and it still gives a great finish and does not mess up my makeup! I also try to always wear a hat if I am going to be outside for an extended time and I never forget to protect my eyes with sunglasses 🕶️.

Right now I have been wanting to try these SPF:

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare All-Physical Lightweight Wrinkle Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 P... 

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sunscreen SPF 50 

Evereden SPF 50 Premium Mineral Sunscreen 2 oz / 60 mL 

Drop a comment below and share your favorite SPF or tips and tricks to enjoy the summer safely.

Happy National SPF Day!!!

Re: National SPF Day 2023 ☀️

@ather  Hooray for sunscreen! I recently posted elsewhere that it's a bad idea to have many sunscreens open at the same time (sunscreens do expire) as a self-ding because I usually have 5 or more open at once. 😂 I like to have options, so I rotate through several sunscreens throughout the year. Plus, I'm always testing new-to-me sunscreens. For the last few years I've been looking for a new favorite hybrid sunscreen, since my old Japanese fave was reformulated to something I can't use on my face. 

About my skin (because we don't all have the same skin type/behavior): 
Spoiler
I have mostly-dry combo skin on my face, very dry skin on the rest of my body, and quite reactive/inflammation-prone skin on my whole body. My torso has flushed red and welted up simply because I had the audacity to apply body lotion 🙄 —the rubbing/friction was enough to throw my skin into tantrum mode. 

My eyes are fairly sensitive and hate most US-available UV filters. My skin tone’s in the “medium-deep to deep” range. And I live someplace that gets all 4 seasons—sometimes within one week, and often to the extreme. (The joy of midwestern spring and fall, and having a Great Lake in your city's front yard.) I make skincare adjustments to fit current weather conditions, and that includes which sunscreens I use. 
My SPF must-haves and dealbreakers: 
Spoiler
Must-haves: 

• Minimum SPF of 30 
  • Broad spectrum 
  • Natural, radiant, or glowy (but not greasy) finish; preferably a naturally radiant look* 
  • Blends easily; doesn’t require lots of rubbing (otherwise my skin will flush red and possibly welt up) 
  • Bonus points for at least one good moisturizing ingredient (dimethicone, shea butter, squalane, etc.) 

*In winter, I don’t mind heavier greasy sunscreens. They’re an extra layer of protection from windburn and deep-freeze dehydration. But during summer, those sunscreens are usually too much for my facial skin to handle.  

Dealbreakers: 

• Noticeable white/grey/purple cast 
  • Eye stinging (if I plan to use it on my eyelids and undereyes) 
  • Itchy reaction 
  • Pilling 
  • Essential oils 
  • Lavender extract, water, or oil 
  • Strong fragrance 
  • Very matte finish 

Currently using:  

• Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 - many people's favorite chemical sunscreen. Need I say much about this one? 😄 Natural skin finish, invisible, and very reliable. It's the sunscreen I always travel with. 
  • Trader Joe's Daily Facial Sunscreen SPF 40 - the hyped up Unseen Sunscreen dupe, and for good reason: phenomenally low price point for what seems like a very good sunscreen. It's thicker and greasier on my skin than Unseen Sunscreen. 
  • Native Unscented Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30 - my current favorite mineral sunscreen. No tint, natural skin finish, and almost no white cast on my skin. I recently bought the body version but haven't tried it yet. If the body version performs as well as the face version, I'll buy that one from now on. 
  • La Roche-Posay Anthelios UVMune 400 Hydrating Cream Fragrance-Free SPF50+ - I ordered this chemical sunscreen from Portugal last year. It contains chemical UV filters we can't get in US sunscreens (gee, thanks FDA), including LRP's new Mexoryl 400 filter. It's pretty shiny/greasy but I can tame the shine with a little sheer powder foundation. And this sunscreen plays nice with my eyes, so I often use it in that area and apply a different sunscreen on the rest of my face. Contains a tinosorb (one of the UV filters we don't get in the US) which can leave a white cast, but on me this only happens when the sunscreen pools in my deeper wrinkles. 
  • Bondi Sands SPF 50 Fragrance Free Sunscreen Lotion (body version) - another chemical sunscreen I use on both my face and body. Moderately shiny/glowy finish. 
  • Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun Rice + Probiotic SPF 50+ - hyped Korean chemical sunscreen that uses better UV filters than we have in the US. Another sunscreen with a tinosorb, so beware of potential white cast. 
  • Eucerin Age Defense Face Sunscreen SPF 50 - cream moisturizer texture that blends to a radiant, sometimes dewy finish. Never creeps into my eyes, thanks to its texture. Can feel thick/heavy in warm weather, so Im now using it more on my neck, décolletage, arms, ankles, etc. than my face. In cold weather, my face loves it. 
  • Dermstore Collection Daily Sheer Tint Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 - very silky mousse texture that blends easily to a nearly invisible natural (eh, mildly matte) skin finish on me, leaving a barely noticeable cast (the tint helps mask it). Plays nice with my eyes and doesnt pill. Total sleeper product that Dermstore should market more heavily. 
  • Abib Quick Sunstick Protection Bar SPF 50+ - Korean chemical sunscreen stick containing the newer and better UV filters. (Seriously FDA, just approve the new filters for us so we can stop relying on avobenzone for UVA protection!) This is now my on-the-go reapplication sunscreen, if I don't carry a tube of Unseen Sunscreen with me. 

My few tips & tricks: 

• To avoid white cast with mineral sunscreens, apply it in several thin layers instead of one big glob. I mean, still apply the generous amount necessary for adequate UV protection. Just do it a bit at a time, so you can blend out each layer before applying more. This doesn't eliminate white cast with all sunscreens, but it's worth trying. 
  • Body versions of sunscreens can be used on the face. With most brands, a body SPF comes in a bigger tube/bottle and costs less per ounce. 
  • Sensitive eyes like mine? If you're gonna wear concealer and eyeshadow anyway, apply a mineral sunscreen around your eyes and a different sunscreen everywhere else. Your makeup will cover any white cast left behind. Or if there's a particular chemical sunscreen you know your eyes will tolerate, but you don't wanna use it on your whole face for whatever reason, apply it just around your eyes. 
  • Any sunscreen that doesn't play nice with your facial skin might work well on other body parts that are exposed to sunlight: arms, wrists, hands, legs, ankles, feet, nape of neck, etc. 
  • When using a sunscreen stick, apply it in multiple passes/layers. The AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) recommends 4 passes for adequate UV protection, but I apply many more than that, especially with Abib's very smooth stick because it's hard (for me) to tell how much product is actually staying on my skin. 😄 Also, after applying all the passes/layers, use your hands to spread the sunscreen around your face to make sure everything's covered. I know folk want sunscreen sticks to be 100% hands-free, but that's not really how they work best. 

On deck to test: all of these just arrived from Stylevana. (The cream in the green tube is a moisturizer, not a sunscreen.) 

Happy National Sunscreen Day (May 27, 2023)!Happy National Sunscreen Day (May 27, 2023)!

The Verdio sunscreen is the current version of my old favorite Japanese sunscreen. Japanese skincare brands tend to reformulate their products on a near-annual basis, including sunscreens. When this one was reformulated a few years ago, it included ingredients my face hates, so I couldn't restock the sunscreen. Hopefully this new version works well! I checked the INCI list before ordering and it looks harmless for my facial skin, so we'll see how it performs. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for this info. I am terrible about consistently applying sunscreen. I’m decent about putting it on my face, but not so much the rest of my body. Do you have any recommendations for something that would absorb quickly on the legs? I hadn’t been to the dermatologist for a couple of years and just went last week and learned I need to be much more careful. 

@PrettyPaint  I wish body sunscreens were more comfy to wear on legs. Many US chemical body sunscreens are greasy and can feel kinda sticky, which isn't so bad until you try to wear any fabric over your sunscreened legs or feel that sticky feeling when standing up from a plastic or wood seat. 😓 

Eucerin used to make a decent SPF body lotion. It wasn't very high protection, definitely under 30 SPF, but it was good to wear under pants or skirts that covered all that skin because it felt more like Eucerin's body lotions than a sunscreen. It did have that weird plasticky sunscreen smell though. I don't know if Eucerin still makes it or is replacing it... I just tried looking for it at their US site and couldn't find it, and I haven't seen it in stores lately. I still have a tube of Eucerin's SPF 30 hand cream that I use throughout the day. 

Aveeno now makes a promising looking body sunscreen that's SPF 60: 

aveenoSPFbodylotion - 1.jpeg

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll look for the smaller size (comes in the pump bottle and a 3 oz tube) on my next Target run. I might need to use a regular body lotion/cream under it since I have dry body skin. But if this sunscreen absorbs as nicely as Aveeno's regular body lotions, then it's a good option to consider. The INCI list includes fragrance... hopefully it's not obnoxious and just light enough to mask that typical sunscreen scent. 

This reminds me that I have a tube of Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Body SPF 40 3.4 oz / 100 mL to test. I've only used it on one forearm so far and need to wear it a few more times (on more body parts, including my face) for better feedback. Supergoop also makes a more traditional body lotion/cream sunscreen but I've never tried it. 

I hope your derm appointment went well, aside from the UV exposure warning! 

@WinglessOne Thank you so much for such a helpful reply! I agree that a lot of the body sunscreens I've tried just aren't very comfortable. I really hate the feeling of pants sticking to my legs. I think I will give the Aveeno that you posted a try. It looks to be reasonably priced, and I think having a pump on top will encourage me to use it regularly (and maybe it will help eczema issues in the process). It looks like Supergoop also makes a body mist. I wonder if that would be more comfortable than a lotion. It was good that I went to the dermatologist because they found a melanoma. I think that they found it early enough that it should be okay, but it's definitely a good reminder to start applying sunscreen more consistently.

@PrettyPaint  Whew, I'm glad your doc caught it in time. ❤️ 

And I hope the Aveeno sunscreen works out for you! Sunscreens masquerading as body lotion are a good way to get folks into the mental habit of daily body SPF application. I used to be awful about not applying sunscreen to my exposed feet and ankles, even if I did apply it to my legs. Same goes for my hands, even if I applied sunscreen to my arms and shoulders. I need SPF that doubles as body moisturizer to Jedi mindtrick myself. 😄 

I've never tried Supergoop's body mist, but that's definitely another option if it doesn't leave a sticky finish. Though with any SPF mist, make sure you apply enough for adequate protection, and spread it around with your hands to make sure all areas of skin are covered. The main reason I don't use sunscreen sprays on my face and body is not being able to tell if I've applied enough product. I do have a Coola sunscreen spray; I bought it specifically to try on my scalp where my hair's parted. I still haven't tested it yet though, since my scalp hasn't been exposed lately (I haven't been parting my hair lately). Gotta pull that sunscreen out so I'll remember to try it. 

Guilty as charged. I often have many open at once, when I'm doing my best at wearing it everyday I like to have options too, I relate to that @WinglessOne 

Thank you for the info.  I do 2 swipes with my sun stick, eeep! I gotta aim for more,  I didn't know 4 swipes was best for adequate protection. Yikes!

@CynthieLu  Heh, glad I'm not alone on the gimme options front. A friend once joked that I swap out sunscreens like I swap out sunglasses and umbrellas*—and you know what, maybe if more folks thought about sunscreen as both essential skin protection and a useful accessory, they'd actually use sunscreen more often. 😄 Well, also if sunscreens were less pricy considering how quickly one can use up a tube/bottle of the stuff. And especially if brands would stop fear-mongering against chemical sunscreens. But I digress. 

Definitely get into the habit of at least 4 swipes with a sunscreen stick, and be sure to finger-spread it around. I think more about layers than swipes, which helps me apply enough product since I apply all types of sunscreen (even the 100% invisible chemical ones) in multiple layers anyway. One full face layer with a sunscreen stick is 4-6 swipes on each major area of my face (forehead, both cheeks, nose bridge, chin, jawline) and neck which I then finger-spread around. Then I apply another layer of the same number of swipes all around my face. I often apply a third layer. It takes me longer to reapply with a stick than it would with a tube of sunscreen I can just measure out on my fingers. But the stick's more convenient on-the-go, even if my fingers get sunscreened up either way. 

*Surely I'm not the only person who has, um, a lot of umbrellas and sunglasses? I LIKE OPTIONS. 🙃

Oooh Kay 4-6 swipes with the stick.I am drilling that knowledge in. I want my attempts at spf protection to be helpful to my skin. 😉

I also like the way you describe it as layers. That does change the way we think about it a bit,  a few layers rather than trying to goop on a ton all at once,  that's more do able and less goopy. I like that way of thinking @WinglessOne

Thank you 💖 🙏 again for the explanations!

Um, I felt validated when I read you had a few sunscreens on the go.  I just switch it up depending on different things, but I do like wearing it when there is a bit of variety in the mix. The same thing everyday is just not the best method for me. 😅

I'm making note of all of the ones I haven't tried as I have almost every deal breaker in common with you (recent lavender allergy diagnosis - yay). The BoJ one is a favorite of mine as well and I've had my eye on the Skin1004 range for a while now. LRP sunscreens seem to not agree with me oddly enough apart from the Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer + SPF 30.

> I have a couple of Korean and Japanese recommendations too if you haven't given them a go yet:
Canmake Mermaid sunscreen (leaves the skin looking so naturally dewy),
Heimish Artless Glow Base looks lovely even alone on the skin as well and it didn't look like artificial shine when I used it,
CosRX Aloe sun cream (my family all love this one for how undetectable this looks), 
Krave Beauty Beet the Sun (US-Asian) - really lovely formula I don't need to use moisturizer with as a forever dry skin club member! A similar dewy finish to the Canmake,
Naturium Dew Glow (US- Asian) - this is the product that helped my skin become tolerant of other vitamin C products I was having trouble with trying to use prior to beginning to use this on and off for a couple of months. Keeps you very glowy the entire day in the best way.

I have not experienced any white case with these nor has my partner who I also give my sunscreens to who is a bit darker than me and has oily skin.

Thank you for the detailed insights and hope the new sunscreens work out well for you : )

@CattyT3  Quick BIC tip: be sure to "@" the person you reply to, so they'll get a notification. Otherwise they might never see your reply. 

Thanks for the recommendations! Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV (clear version) was actually my second favorite hybrid sunscreen, especially in cold weather. It always gave me super dewy glass skin in the frigid depths of Chicago winter. 🤣 I think Canmake reformulated it one year to something I could no longer use, and I haven't checked the current INCI list. Another annoying thing about Japanese skincare products is that some brands never post ingredients on their own site. They figure there's no need because they reformulate often; apparently customers in Japan agree with that. So I have to hunt down INCI lists elsewhere. (Thank goodness for INCIdecoder, plus retailers like YesStyle that usually post ingredients nowadays.) Note to self: check latest ingredients to see if you can bring Mermaid Skin back into the fold. 

I've looked at that Heimish sunscreen before and decided not to try it because it contains peppermint plus fragrance components. But I've never checked out Krave Beauty's sunscreen... I'll add that to my list of potentials. I also need to look at the COSRX sunscreen again; something about it initially stopped me from trying it, but I don't recall what that was. 

LRP's US sunscreens aren't the same as their European sunscreens, mostly because they can use better UV filters overseas. I do like a couple of their US sunscreens, and I've got their Toleriane sunscreen in my box of things waiting to be tested. But I know someone who's had issues (mostly pilling) with the LRP sunscreens he's tried. 

Also, sorry you're also in the no-lavender club. 😞 There are a couple sunscreens folks keep recommending to me that I can't touch because they contain lavender. I've even had to stop using 2 of my favorite hair products because keeping them off my face and neck was too difficult, and they probably contributed to my recent scalp issues. Interestingly, I can use fragrances that contain lavender, but only if I keep them off my neck and face (I apply fragrance only in my elbow pits or occasionally on my wrists). I can't use any body wash or body lotion/cream that contains lavender. I never even realized how many products contain some form of lavender until I had to start avoiding them—and I was super stubborn about quitting those hair products I mentioned because they worked really well on my coils. 🤦‍♀️ Thankfully I've got good substitutes now. Anyway, this is more than I meant to ramble about my skin's arch nemesis. Hope you're able to dodge all the lavender out there!  

@WinglessOne thanks for the @ tip:

That's a good point about the Japanese products - I had to sleuth around to get the ingredients list of some Hado Labo lotions as a lot of the packaging of different versions is so similar to the non-Japanese reading eye. I did hear about that Canmake one's formula being changed and people weren't liking the other 2 varieties that were not the clear one, but I have ordered a new one now as I'm almost done with my current one, so will have to see if it still agrees with me whether the clear version is updated or not when I use it later this year.

And very true about the Heimish one - I am actually surprised the peppermint didn't get me honestly since I find the slightest of hint of mint very noticeable normally.
I can believe that about the LRP ones pilling as I hated every single Anthelios range SPF I tried out - and thought it was the titanium dioxide, but I can use titanium dioxide baby SPFs with no discomfort in exchange for the purple cast on my skin at the very least.  So it's just something in their formulations unfortunately - I just think it's mostly not POC friendly actually. I hope you enjoy the Toleraine one when you get to it, or at the very least it doesn't cause any issues.

The no-lavender club sure has been a very bumpy journey this past half year until now, luckily I am now lavender free with my skin and hair product shelf & only need to audit my perfume samples - unfortunately if I smell it it hurts my head now as well. I can't believe how common it is in everything now I'm hyper vigilant about it. At least it's an excuse to branch out to new scents, I suppose.

For my dry skin (and it plays lovely with my makeup) I really like the Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF 42 . For touch ups I'm really loving their Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50 0.7 oz / 20 g . I also wear sunglasses with an SPF/blue light filter if I know I'm going to be in the sun and try to stand in the shade when/if I can (sometimes carrying around a parasol, especially in a crowd, is frowned down upon lol).

Also darker colored clothing absorbs UV rays so it shields your skin and helps to give you another little layer of protection. Nothing beats an SPF though and while this may make your warmer it is a nice trick.

The sun stick is one I was recommended to try by a friend who has dry skin as well and loves it but I'll have to skip on trying it as I tried both the Shiseido liquid sunscreens sold on Sephora since it's such a popular brand, and unfortunately both did not agree with me at all. To date the only Asian sunscreen to make me have a reaction or any negative experience at all.
But I'm glad the brand is good for other people with dry skin even if it's not me.

@niki172  Piggybacking on the very good dark clothing tip: if you wanna wear lighter colors, you can also buy clothes that have built-in UV protection. These clothes have a UPF rating instead of SPF. UPF measures the amount of UV rays (both UVA & UVB) that can penetrate the fabric and attack your skin. UPF 50+ means the fabric will allow about 2% or less of UV rays to penetrate. UPF 30 = about 3% of UV ray penetration. the higher the UPF number, the better the protection. Still a good idea to wear sunscreen under those clothes since none of these garments offer 100% protection. 

I have a UV-protection hoodie from Uniqlo that I bought in 2018 or 2019—in The Before Times—that I used to travel with. Plenty of other brands sell similar items. Columbia has a whole line of sun protection clothing. 

@WinglessOne "in the before times" 😂 - if you don't laugh you may just cry lol. I forgot my husband has a couple of these UV blocking shirts thanks for the reminder!

Ooooh brilliant idea, @ather! I share your love of the Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Mineral Milk Sunscreen SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL. I use it on my forehead, using Biossance Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30 3.38 oz 100 mL on the rest of my face. I love both of these products because no matter what combo skincare routine I use, there is absolutely no pilling - yay!

Sometimes I get a little crazy and even add Colorscience Sunforgettable Brush On Sunscreen for touchups when I am in the sun for an extended time.

@eshoe  Yay. SF is such a great sunscreen. That’s awesome you mix different ones to make it work! I may need to try that trick! I’ll have to look into the Colourscience one a brushable one sounds interesting! 

The good thing about the brush on powder spf is that I can convince my daughter to use it, @ather 😉

@ather great thread! 💞 I love the lightweight tinted moisturizers combined with spf so much! Thanks to you introducing me to Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine Cherry and Summer Fridays Sheer Skin Tint with Hyaluronic Acid + Squalane Shade 2 I am now excited to try Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL .

My all-time favorite is Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 Sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 1.7 oz Sunrise / 50 mL  and I’ve been mixing it with the new shade Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 Sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 1.7 oz Dawn / 50 mL - pink... to give a cool customized look! Hello summer!

🌞

@Sunnysmom  I need to try Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 PA+++  With the tint in it. I have seen so much love of this product! 

You do @ather ! I just love them so much! 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • Happy National Sunscreen Day (May 27, 2023)!
  • UV type "UVA" = both UVA1 & UVA2. Screenshot excludes columns for nm peaks and other notes.
  • aveenoSPFbodylotion - 1.jpeg
  • spf promo.jpg
testing