Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

My Skin is Dry, Mad at Me and Rebelling! HELP!

Y'all, I am pulling my hair out. I need help with recommendations for your best HEAVY DUTY moisturizers. I am not big on sleeping masks personally. To give some context and rule out some possibilities, the following moisturizers are NOT moisturizing enough for me (I've tried them):

1. Tatcha Ageless Renewal

2. Belief Aqua Bomb

3. Sunday Riley Water Cream (I know water creams are generally lighter, but during the warmer months, this one worked well for me).

4. Any Fresh moisturizer (I've tried the popular day and night ones)

5. Laniege Sleeping Mask

6. Glow Recipe Avocado Retinol Sleeping Mask

7. The Drunk Elephant Marula Facial Oil broke me out terribly

What has come at least close to helping is the Biossance Squalane & Lactic Acid Facial Oil. I'm layering it over and under (depending) different moisturizers to try to find a moisturizer that's rich enough. I'm also using a chemical exfoliant (Sunday Riley Good Genes).

I'm getting DESPERATE lol. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Re: My Skin is Dry, Mad at Me and Rebelling! HELP!

I used Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL which tackled my dry spots but it seemed to just sit on my skin so I added Arcona’s Celestial Essence to each pump of the cream and was shocked at how much better it absorbed! Unfortunately Arcona isn’t sold at Sephora but I’m sure you would be able to find a similar essence that would help in the absorption of heavy creams 🙂 I also received a sample of Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisturizing Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 2 oz/ 60 mL which is also very moisturizing with the essence added 🙂 I will admit I’m not too sure what type of skin I have... at first it was oily because I had acne, then sensitive because I easily reacted to most products, but most recently I was told I have dry skin due to multiple dry patches on my face. A skin care expert informed me that we go through hormonal changes every 5 years so this may be why it feels my skin can’t make up its mind. Most recently I got a sample of Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL and was very surprised with the results, even though it’s meant for oily skin. I just ran out of my Drunk Elephant, so I’m going to give the full size of Tatcha a shot!

Hey!

I have super dry and sensitive skin and have used some of the following moisturizers when I was on accutane and they helped! I saw you tried the laneige sleeping mask, I have too and wasn't the biggest fan as far as hydration needs being met, but I am a huge fan of the LANEIGE - Water Bank Moisture Cream! I tried it when I was the most desperate for something simple while I was starting on accutane and I have not stopped using it for over a year, it's amazing! The FIRST AID BEAUTY - Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration is also amazing too! I also found that using Jajoba oil (can find on amazon or trader joes, etc.) before my moisturizer or even mixing it in with my moisturizer was a huge lifesaver when my skin was super dry and irritated!

@angelic4296 CAUDALIE - Vinosource SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer

KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm

RE: My Skin is Dry, Mad at Me and Rebelling! HELP!

I am currently going through super dry times because I am on Accutane, so I can 1000% relate to how frustrating it is ! The one I found that works is not a fancy expensive one, but honestly it works sooo well. It’s the Vanicream moisturizing lotion. There is no scent that lingers, and it keeps me moisturized the WHOLE day, no joke.

Just to go in a different direction here, not available at Sephora, but La Roche Posay has some amazing products with no fragrance or irritants. Anytime my skin gets extremely dry and irritated the “toleraine moisturizer” has been a saving grace. As for products at Sephora I’ll second all the other posts and say that First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream does wonders!

Your current skin type sounds a lot like mine during the winter! I get super dry/eczema and get red/flakey patches. I really like the caudalie SOS Moisture line-- specifically the serum and the thicker moisturizer. The FAB intense hydration also works well for me, but I have to use a serum and/or oil underneath it. 

Also, I would recommend maybe taking it easy on the chemical exfoliator while your skin is irritated/dry during all of this! I find that a gentle physical exfoliating face wash 1 or 2 times a week is a lot easier on my skin when it's super dry/red. 

You probably should take out a second mortgage and give La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mLa go. Ive yet to come across anything as moisturizing although I'm still on the fence as to whether it is just fancy Nivea cream.

@angelic4296  When my skin is super dry I like to use Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and when it’s so dry I feel like there’s no hope I use Farmacy Honey Savior All-in-One Skin Repair Salve 1.6 oz/ 46 g I only use it before bed it’s thick and in the morning my skin is so much better. 

Anonymous Insider

Hi! Have you been drinking enough water in addition to moisturizing? I thought my skin was dry for years and tries everything under the Sun. Then I doubled down on getting almost a gallon of water a day and use a serum, and moisturizer and I see a HUGE difference!

Re: RE: My Skin is Dry, Mad at Me and Rebelling! HELP!

I'm so bad about drinking water. I've passed many a kidney stone, and while I have a chemical imbalance that creates them in my body, I know dehydration contributes to it as well, so thank you for the reminder of something so simple that I can do!!!

You may want to add a flax seed oil supplement to your diet also. Easy to pop one or two of these a day and it has a lot of benefits for skin health as well as all sorts of other things. Pretty cheap to pick up a great big bottle of them from somewhere like Costco. As for water I lay out what I need to drink every morning. If I do that I generally drink it all, and more. If I don't, I basically forget to drink until suddenly mid afternoon - or later - I feel parched and dehydrated.

@angelic4296 I would recommend products from First Aid Beauty, like the FIRST AID BEAUTY - Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration or the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL.  The brand is known for its gentle formula and incredible hydrating properties.  Read some reviews and see if either of those might work for you :).

The Sephora Favorites set I bought tonight had the First Aid Ultra Repair Intense Hydration lotion in it, I'm excited to try it! Thank you!

@angelic4296 

So would you classify your skin as dry then? I can’t really tell based on your previous choices. 
Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL is my favourite while Algenist GENIUS Collagen Calming Relief 1.35 oz/ 40 mL is a close second. 

Normally, I'm combo oily, ironically, but I haven't left my house with this quarantine, and I think the dry heat in my house coming from having the heat on still has completely messed up my skin. So right now, I'd classify myself as combo with really dry patches.

Sorry if I wasn't clear!

@angelic4296 

Most definitely artificial heat sources can wreck havoc on our skin! I’m going to change my vote to SKINFIX - Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Cream

Oh, perfect! One of the things I bought was a Sephora favorites bundle, and this was one of the items in it, along with the First Aid moisturizer.

Thank you so much!!!

Biossance omega repair cream is a great one I loved, loads of people swear Lala Retro from Drunk Elephant! These are two id look into

I bought a Biossance set, because the oil has been the only thing to help me thus far, and this moisturizer was in it! Thank you!!!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 21 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing