Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Must Have Vitamin C Facial Serum?

Hi Sephora Beauty Enthusiasts - Need your help! I'm looking for a great vitamin C concentrated face serum that I can apply either morning or night. I'm in my mid-30's so ideally a serum that provides ample anti-aging benefits is preferred. I'm considering the following - 

PERRICONE MD - Vitamin C Ester Brightening Serum

ANTHONY - High Performance Vitamin C Facial Serum

Dermalogica BioLumin-C Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

KORA Organics Noni Bright 12% Vitamin C Serum 1 oz / 30 mL

Paula's Choice - C15 Super Booster (not sold at Sephora)

Would you recommend any of these? Or is there another face serum that's better?

Re: Must Have Vitamin C Facial Serum?

Hey @carlym99 

Our Bio Lumin-C Serum brightens, firms and hydrates with use of Lactic Acid and two forms of Vitamin C. This ultra stable formula provides a longevity of the product and delivers a superior bio-availability which means a longer-lasting concentration of Vitamin C in your skin while keeping a balance of hydration. Dermalogica BioLumin-C Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

We hope this helps your decision!  

RE: Must Have Vitamin C Facial Serum?

I haven’t tried many vitamin c serums but I can’t stand the scent of the drunk elephant c firma. It literally smells like hot dog water! I used the ole henkrikson truth serum and I wasn’t really wowed but it’s better than DE.

I tried the Paula's Choice one many years ago, but didn't use it regularly and it expired before I could finish it. Not surprisingly, I didn't notice any effect. It's generally well-regarded though, so just be sure to use it right away and don't buy a replacement until you actually need it.

I've tried Skinceuticals (was shocked at how effective it was, but was also sticker shocked $$$), Drunk Elephant (about 70% as effective as Skinceuticals, for 50% of the price). The DE is good but I don't think the formula is quite as stable. If I recall correctly, it took me about 5 months to go through a bottle, and I did not feel that the quality was good by the end. I finished multiple bottles before deciding it wasn't high enough quality for the price.

I just started using Stratia's C+C serum (not sold at Sephora) this week. I've heard excellent reviews, but obviously it will be several months before I can give my own review. Stratia is known for prioritizing hard science instead of the deliberately misleading marketing that so many skincare brands stoop to, so I have high expectations.

Let us know what you end up going with, and what you think of it!

@carlym99 I've used the Paula's Choice one and did like it.  However, I wasn't a fan that it didn't come in an airtight package.  I was looking into the Kora Organics one b/c I liked the packaging, but I took a look at the ingredients list and wasn't pleased to see skin irritants in it like limonene and linalool; also, it has fragrance in it.

Here's what COSDNA had to say:

Spoiler

About Comedogenic (Acne), Irritation and Safety
The value of Comedogenic and Irritation from zero to five, the lower the better (the less chance it will happen).

Safety index from 1~9, the lower number means this ingredient is low hazard. Unlike comedogenic and irritation, Safety is a comprehensive index focus on safety on long term usage, according to harmful report from CIR, RTECS, FDA and other related information. The purpose of the index is more inclined to assess whether long-term injury of skin, cells or the human body.

Our data source include international experts, institutions and publications. If any the three column is blank, this meas there is no data (not indicate the ingredient is safe or unsafe).

We want to remind our user, the effect of cosmetics depends on concentration, quality, process and mutual influence of ingredients. The skin condition of each person are different (even constantly changing), pay attention and understand the ingredients is a right attitude, but you still need professional physicians to diagnose skin problems.

Spoiler

IngredientFunctionAcneIrritantSafety 
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice    
Ascorbyl Glucoside‧Antioxidant
‧Whitening
Glycerin‧Solvent
‧Moisturizer
Water‧Solvent  1
Lactobacillus ferment   1
Lactobacillus/
Acerola Cherry Ferment
Potassium Hydroxide‧pH Adjusters  3
Dicaprylyl Carbonate‧Emollient  1
Capsicum Annuum Fruit Extract‧Antioxidant
‧Astringent
Lactobacillus    
Citrus Limon Peel Extract‧Emollient  1
Cocos Nucifera Fruit Extract‧Emollient  1
Terminalia Ferdinandiana Fruit Extract‧Antioxidant  1
Morinda Citrifolia Fruit Extract‧Plant extract  1
Hydrolyzed Sodium Hyaluronate    
Olea Europaea Leaf Extract‧Fragrance
‧Plant extract
Zinc PCA   3
Lysolecithin‧Emulsifier  1
Sclerotium Gum‧Viscosity Control  1
Xanthan Gum‧Viscosity Control  1
Pullulan   1
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride‧Fragrance  1
Ascorbic Acid‧Antioxidant
‧Whitening
Leuconostoc/
Radish Root Ferment Filtrate
Salvia Sclarea Extract‧Anti-inflammatory
‧Astringent
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Peel Extract‧Viscosity Control
‧Plant extract
Potassium Sorbate‧Preservative  3
Sodium phytate   1
Sodium Benzoate‧Preservative  3
Citric Acid‧pH Adjusters  2
Sodium salicylate‧Preservative  1
Euterpe oleracea    
Tocopherol‧Antioxidant221
Silica‧Viscosity Control   
Maltodextrin   1
Alcohol‧Solvent  2
Glycine Soja Oil‧Fragrance
‧Moisturizer
‧Emollient
‧Plant extract
Quartz   1-6
Citral‧Fragrance  7
Limonene‧Solvent
‧Fragrance
Linalool‧Fragrance  5

@SportyGirly125  - Thanks! I looked at the Drunk Elephant serum, but the reviews weren't great so I didn't consider that one, but I'll also look at the Tatcha product. Let me know how you like the Kora Organics serum. Thanks!

@carlym99 I just bought the Kora one to try out. I really love the DE one and have gone through bottles.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing