Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Moisturizer for dry skin

Hello, I recently started getting drier skin due to the Tretinoin 0.05% I use at night. I’m looking for a new go-to moisturizer! I’ve been using the Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... as well as the SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer - Hydrate & Repair 
I’m thinking of the Kiehl’s ultra facial cream or the Fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid. Any opinions on either of those or thoughts on others?

Re: Moisturizer for dry skin

You may want consider a sleeping pack for nighttime to really lock in moisture. My favorite is the belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask 2.53 oz/ 75 mL , but algenist and Laneige have great sleeping packs as well. You can use simple moisturizers under them or use by itself. Really locks in moisture at night, you just wash off in am. Helps to clear up any dry patches especially from retinoids. For extra quick relief, try the REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  to clear up ultra dry patches wildly fast

Kiehl's creme de corps soy and honey body butter is very good. 

Hi @Margoingplaces ! The Kiehl’s cream is great! I love SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL . This has Hyaluronic Acid, which draws moisture from the air to your skin 💧The Sephora moisturizer you’re looking at also looks good. If you’re looking for other hydrating products to add to your routine I would recommend the Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL , which also features Hyaluronic Acid! I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, have a wonderful day 😊

If you are using any type of Retinol you should apply it over moisturizer at first, then mix it with the moisturizer until your skin adjusts, I suggest First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration 2 oz/ 56.7 g 

@Margoingplaces When I first start Tretinoin, I used CeraVe PM religiously and it really helped.  When I bumped up my concentration, I started using The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL and also Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL .  Good luck, and hang in their with the retinoid!  🙂

Hi @Margoingplaces ! Sounds like you need a moisturizer that includes more occlusive ingredients than the 2 you mentioned. I normally use the YTTP Superfood Moisturizer day and night, but I always have to layer it over or under another moisturizer once temperatures drop below freezing because it's just not occlusive enough to keep my skin moisturized in cold weather. 

Did the dermatologist (or other doctor) who prescribed tretinoin also give you any moisturizer suggestions, and did they instruct you to use your retinoid after moisturizer (some derms do)? I use OTC retinol instead of Rx tretinoin, but my derm has recommended Vanicream Moisturizing Cream to me as a moisturizer for my mostly-dry combo skin. Its occlusive ingredient is petrolatum. Other popular options are CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (occlusive ingredient = dimethicone) and CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (contains petrolatum and dimethicone). Those are all low-cost options you can find at the drugstore. 🙂 

Throughout October, I'm testing The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL as an option that's more moisturizing than YTTP Superfood. Its main occlusive ingredient is shea butter. I apply my retinol serum over it at night and my face is liking this combo so far. 

Hi! Thanks for your answer. My derm actually had not mentioned anything about using the moisturizer before the tret, but I just followed what people on Reddit do and apply a moisturizer after the tretinoin. Is there a significant difference between applying it before or after?

@Margoingplaces  Moisturizer can act as a buffer between skin and a retinoid. It won't stop the retinoid from penetrating skin. Some derms recommend this to folks with sensitive skin, or to anyone who's non-complaint with an Rx retinoid (docspeak for "y u no use the heckin retinoid [x] nights a week like I told you to?!") because they hate the side effects. Applying moisturizer first makes the retinoid easier to tolerate. 

What I like best about this method is not having to wait for my face to dry down after washing before applying a retinoid. 🙂 My skin needs all the hydration it can get, so I usually keep it damp throughout my routine. By applying moisturizer, I can let my skin dry down without getting dried out (no water loss, thanks to moisturizer), and then apply a retinoid. Some folks apply a second layer of moisturizer over retinol but, for me, that's not necessary. 

I second all of the above. 

I also put on my tretinoin after I moisturize. My skin is pretty dry in the winter and waiting for my face to completely dry down just isn't realistic since I prefer moisturizing while my face is still damp. I find that a combo of a hyaluronic acid (humectant) serum and a emollient/occlusive moisturizer keeps the dryness at bay. I personally use the Caudalie Vinosource SOS Deep Hydration Serum (but have also used and liked Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL) and use Cerave moisturizing cream. Years ago when I first started tretinoin and still get flakies, I would use a ointment just over the peeling areas - such as Aquaphor or Cerave healing ointment.

@Margoingplaces I love Kiehl's Ultra Deep Facial Balm

Caudalie Vinosource SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

fresh rose deep hydration face cream

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing