cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Moisturizer Super dry skin

Hello ladies!!

what is the best moisturizer for a 35 year old woman with super dry skin? 

Thank you to all the ladies for your suggestions. I should also mention that I'm looking for a brand that is cruelty free. Thank you all again.

Re: Moisturizer Super dry skin

Drunk Elephant is amazing for super dry skin

@Kanikaelwrote:

Hello ladies!!

what is the best moisturizer for a 35 year old woman with super dry skin? 

Thank you to all the ladies for your suggestions. I should also mention that I'm looking for a brand that is cruelty free. Thank you all again.

I really like Origins Drink Up Intensive moisturizer. The Drunk Elephant Retro Whipped cream is good as well.  I would also recommend Dr. Jart Cream. You can get samples of all three of these from Sephora. 

RE: Moisturizer Super dry skin

Hi! I’m almost 35 and when my face gets really dry (seasonal change/cold/airplane), I use REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask. It soothes my skin and you can even use a light layer under your makeup. I always take it on long flights with me to prevent dryness and I still look like a normal person (no sheet mask or thick visible cream) 🤗
Anonymous Insider

Pai is vegan and cruelty free.  For super dry skin, you might want to try their Avocado & Jojoba Hydrating Day Cream.  I also like their Echium & Argan Gentle Eye Cream and their Rosehip Bioregenerate Oil.

For moisturizers that may be easier to get your hands on, there's also:

• PUR Soak It Up Intense Hydrating Moisture
  • Korres Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturising and Brightening Cream
  • Kahina Giving Beauty -  Facial Lotion (they also make a Face Cream, which is thicker in texture than the lotion) 

To my knowledge, all these brands are cruelty free.

Origins Drink Up intensive overnight mask!! I use it as a lotion, not really a mask 🙂 it’s life changing

Definitely look into First Aid Beauty - any of their creams/lotions do wonders.

Kiehl's ultra facial repair cream

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream + a couple drops of Josie Maran Argan oil! It's been such a lifesaver (I'm turning 33 soon..)! Although I think FAB is no longer cruelty free.... 

Hi! I have combination/dry skin and i have been using Laneige Hydration Trial Kit (which only cost 38cad and cruelty free) for almost the entire summer and its great for the dry parts of my skin. But if you are seeking for something much more hydrating for winter, you can try creme de la mer cuz it is really moisturizing (i like to used it on winter) and you can use it with their renewal oil to seal the moisture.

Fresh Rose Hydration Cream

I like a pump of Drunk Elephant Lala Cream plus a pump of B Hydra and a few drops of Sunday Riley Juno Oil. It's what seems to work for me right now.

blueviolet21 wrote:

I like a pump of Drunk Elephant Lala Cream plus a pump of B Hydra and a few drops of Sunday Riley Juno Oil. It's what seems to work for me right now.

@blueviolet21

I also mix Lala retro with B-Hydra and sometimes Marula but I only mix DE with DE. Have you had any irritation mixing Luna in it?

I like Drunk Elephant products and am comfortable mixing and matching as I know exactly what actives are in them and this is a super clean brand (not pure natural but irritant free) and has helped my sensitized skin come to normal.

But I don't have same confidence mixing products from other brands as there are so many plant oils, sometime fragrance and sometimes not so prominently mentioned acids etc.

RE: Re: Moisturizer Super dry skin

@blueviolet21 thanks for the detailed post. And looks like I got confused between the names of Zuno and Luna oil. It makes much more sense now. If you don't mind sharing I would love to know what all other products you and how you incorporate them in your routine along with DE products? As much as I love DE products I am still in search of something extra such as inner glow hydration product or brightening etc.

To be clear I've never tried Luna (the one with a retinol derivative) only Juno, which is a very gentle plant-based oil @naturalooks15. From the description it contains blueberry seed oil, cranberry seed oil, and red raspberry seed oil. I actually really like Juno during the winter or on days when I am using a stronger retinol from another brand (Skinmedica). It is richer than marula oil (which I also use) and all in all just a lovely product to have around if you have dry skin. I know it doesn't have essential oils/fragrance in it (unlike some of SR's other oils I believe) which was why I picked it originally. I also tried Good Genes from SR and thought it was okay (wouldn't give up my TLC Glycolic for it), but Juno is a staple. I understand why you like Drunk Elephant-- I have had similar success with their brand over the past few years getting my previously troubled skin to calm down. I do use bits of other brands though-- Paula's Choice, Sunday Riley, The Ordinary, and so on. I just always read ingredients in advance and test a new product carefully when I put it into my routine.

@blueviolet21 

Thanks for the detailed post. And looks like I got confused between the names of Zuno and Luna oil. It makes much more sense now.

If you don't mind sharing I would love to know what all other products you and how you incorporate them in your routine along with DE products? As much as I love DE products I am still in search of something extra such as inner glow hydration product or brightening etc.

Sure, I’d be happy to talk about it @naturalooks15. This is a long answer so I put it in a spoiler for you.

Spoiler

So I’m currently very dry-skinned, concerned about anti-aging, and have always had skin that I would describe as sensitive. I also have mild rosacea. My routine is built around those concerns. My morning routine would be: cleanse, tone, exfoliate, serum, moisturize/oil, SPF. I have been using a Paula’s Choice cleanser called Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser, but I also enjoy Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Cloud Cream Cleanser. I find the PC to be better value for money though. The toner I use is Paula’s Choice Resist Advanced Replenishing Toner. I could probably skip this step but I love this product and the moisture it adds. Usually in the morning I use Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Daily Pore Refining Treatment. I’ve thought of switching to an AHA here but never have. After that I use Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum and my moisturizer combo plus a few drops of oil. In the morning I frequently use marula oil, either Drunk Elephant’s or The Ordinary’s. If I want to save Lala Cream until evening I will mix B Hydra with Cerave lotion instead. For SPF, I used to use Skinceuticals Sheer Physical Defense SPF 50 but I got sick of it and started trying some Asian ones recently (I find their formulations are better). My currently favorite sunscreen is called Shiseido Anessa Essence UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster SPF 50 and it’s wonderful. I also like one called CosRx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream.

For evening I’d do pretty much the same thing—cleanse, tone, exfoliate, serum, moisturize/oil. I use the same toner but I use DE TLC Glycolic Serum at night. Every other night I will use my retinol after my AHA serum and then wait 15 minutes before doing the rest of my moisturizers and so on. The retinols I use are from Skinmedica because they clearly state how much retinol they use in their products (I'm using the .25 at the moment). After AHA/retinol I move on to serum, moisturizer, and oil. At night I use Sunday Riley Juno oil with B Hydra and Lala Cream mixed together.

In terms of your question about inner glow-- I’ve been trying some different products focused on radiance/brightening lately. Generally I find radiance comes from vitamin C, retinol, regular exfoliation, and a good routine overall but I’ve been wanting something extra lately and I haven’t pinned down what that is. I tried a serum and an essence from Caudalie and didn’t love either. Right now I’m trying a brightening essence by Paula’s Choice that seems decent so far (I haven’t tried it for long enough to know). I just ordered a few bits from the Ordinary (the niacinamide booster for brightening, their alpha arbutin for hyperpigmentation on my neck, the plant derived squalane, and the buffet serum). One other random thing I like is a scrub from Peter Thomas Roth (Firmx Peeling Gel) because it seems to help the eczema around my eyes. I wouldn’t have tried this but for the SA’s recommendation (I generally don’t like scrubs like this), but it seems to help for that specific purpose.

In terms of hydration-- do you find you are not getting enough hydration with B Hydra plus Lala Cream mixed together? I find that this is where adding an oil usually does it for me, and I can pick which oil I want to use depending on whether it's day or night and how dry I am. You could also try a hydrating serum or a hyaluronic acid booster. One hydrating serum that I keep hearing good things about is Consonance Hydr'Extreme, you might try that one. You can also get hyaluronic acid boosters from Paula's Choice or the Ordinary. Or you could go with trying a different moisturizer altogether-- something like Belif Moisturizing Bomb (this does have fragrance) or Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream (ditto). They're both nice products though.

Sorry for the essay! HTH! 

Anonymous Insider

@Kanikael

One moisturizer will not be enough to help with super dry skin. You will have to layer from thin to thick, such as essence to cream.

Examples of ingredients optimal for hydration can be one or many of the following: Fermented Filtrate, Astaxanthin (Algae), Honey, Royal Jelly, Ceramides, Propolis, Niacinamide, PHA (Gluconolactone and Lactobionic Acids), and Vitamin E.

I use face oil mixed with Origin night cream at night to moisturize my face. It's just the day cream that I'm looking for to help my dry skin.

Anonymous Insider

@Kanikael

I'm not sure if you know this, but you can technically use Origin's Night Cream also as a day cream. It's reasonable that if the Night Cream contains photosensitive actives, a new moisturizer is optimal. But if it doesn't, then Origin can be reused.

I would advise against layering only heavy creams as a day routine since your skin won't be able to effectively adsorb it all. Have you considered using essences or serums with your creams?

My two favorites are Previse Hydromilk Moisturizer and Lather Honey Moisture Mask with Propolis Extract.  The one from Lather, I use as a night cream;  I just put it on and go to sleep and when I wake up, my skin looks and feels incredible.  Also, it’s honey, so it smells fantastic.  I am 46 and I used to have extremely dry skin for years, but it is pretty normal now.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing