Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Moisturizer Suggestions? Help?!

I totally should have asked this before making my purchase but I wasn't thinking anything except its sale time! Although if I get a better recommendation their should be time to purchase it & return the other but still! It's totally like ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ. LOL!

So I use The Ordinary Granactive 2% Retinoid Emulsion & I know Retinol & Vitamin C like counter act eachother or whatever. So I've been trying to find an anti-aging moisturizer that I can use day & night that doesn't have vitamin C. 

I looked & read (verified!) reviews & finally decided to try it cosmetics Conifidence in a Cream. 

I don't have sensitive skin & I have had major breakouts like maybe 5 times in my life. I'm pretty lucky on that end! But I used it & within maybe 3 days I had two of the worst zits (one chin & one by my nose) that I've EVER HAD IN MY LIFE! It took forever to get rid of them .... just awful. But I couldn't blame the moisturizer.... yet! 

After my skin cleared I used it again & my chin was a mess the next day same area ... I was like oh hell no! 

Anyway, I went through tons of moisturizers read about every one, looked at reviews & finally decided on the Youth to the People Super Food one. I use their Super Food Cleanser & love it & a lot of the reviews said they used both too! 

Has anyone use the YTTP one?? Or have similar skin & have a recommendation. I'd say my skin is normal, not sensitive, never breaks out & if anything sometimes can be a little dry in winter. 

Amy thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you! โค

Re: Moisturizer Suggestions? Help?!

@BaseballJen  I'll also say retinol and vitamin C don't counteract, according to every dermatologist I've asked (including my own). I know The Ordinary says otherwise on their site and I honestly don't know why. I assume it's a blanket cover-our-butts statement on their end, or perhaps their specific product formulations of vitamin A and vitamin C don't perform well together. Who knows. But yeah, The Ordinary is wrong about vitamin A and vitamin C not playing nice with each other. You can even layer them over each other, as long as your skin's not sensitive to vitamin C. 

I used to use Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... as my daily AM and PM moisturizer. I stopped because YTTP reformulated it: they added several fragrance components my particular skin hates. So... I can't say much about the current version of that moisturizer, but I loved the old version. For reference, I have mostly-dry combo skin that's fairly sensitive and very inflammation-prone/reactive. EDIT: If you still want a moisturizer that doesn't contain vitamin C, then skip this one. It contains ascorbic acid. Were you talking about a different YTTP moisturizer? 

I currently use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer under my sunscreen most mornings, now that temps are in the mid-30sยบF range. In warmer weather, I can often get away with using a sunscreen instead of a moisturizer, as long as said sunscreen has at least one good moisturizing ingredient. At night, I use Paula's Choice CLEAR Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL because my retinaldehyde serum contains evening primrose oil. The combo of those 2 products keeps my skin well moisturized overnight. If I have to go outside in very cold windy weather, I apply a layer of petrolatum-based balm (usually Aquaphor Ointment, sometimes CeraVe Healing Ointment) under my sunscreen to protect my skin from windburn and temperature-related chapping. 

@BaseballJen I personally believe that retinol/retinoids and Vitamin C don't cancel each other out, and can work together just fine.  We discussed this on the Retinol Thread which I can't seem to tag; you might want to check it out.  

I really like Beautypedia for reviews.  I've found them to be spot on.

As for particular moisturizers that I like, I use CeraVe PM in the warmer months and Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer in the colder months.  I also use Drunk Elephant Lala Retroโ„ข Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL on my eye area and around my mouth year round.

Good luck!  ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow! Thank for the suggestions! Especially re: beautypedia! I Setiously have to check that out! LOL! I'll look for the Retinol thread (thanks so much for even thinking of tagging me). Is it in the skincare forum, correct? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™โค Thanks again!!!โค

@BaseballJen Just wanted to chime in and confirm that it's okay to use vitamin C and retinol/retinoid, at least according to my dermatologist. She suggested using vitamin C serum in the morning and my prescription retinoid at night, so just make sure to use them at different times of the day.

Also, for my combo skin, I love both Drunk Elephant Lala Retroโ„ข Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repairยฎ Cream Intense Hydration 

Thank you! Much appreciated!! ๐Ÿ˜

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing