Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Ultra 24 hour in less than 4 hours Smiley Sad (sorry iPad is wonky and won't let me edit/keep typing after I try to erase a few words and I'd already attempted typing that a few times!

Ah, that helps a lot- I can't use the Origins mask all-over (or the Murad) because my skin is so sensitive.

See, this is why this thread is already awesome- there is so much good info here!

Oh yeah - these go on my entire face! Haha

Isn't it such a pain to get on Beauty Talk on the IPad. I have the hardest time. 

I'm going to do the Fresh Sugar scrub because it's like a mask.

Name of Mask: Fresh Sugar Scrub
Price/Availability: $55 at Sephora
Type: Rinse off
My skin: Severely dry skin with breakouts 
My experience: This is seriously amazing. The smell is so beautiful! Exfoliates well! And Hydrates! This is such a luxurious mask! But worth every Penny!
Do you recommend? Heck Yes
Who should use it? Dry skin types, anyone who needs to exfoliate, not sure how it would work with oily skin types.

Name of Mask: Proactiv

Price/Availability: $20 I think??, Proactiv kiosks or my mall has a giant proactiv dispenser - looks like you can get better deals online

Type: Rinse-off, possibly overnight (I don't recommend though)

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: Holy grail acne mask!! If your skin doesn't respond well to salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide - try sulfur. There are some sulfur masks here but I find this one to be more economical and I think when I cross checked it with Murad's it was a little more potent? This is just amazing. Keeps my skin in check like no other. I still always seem to have small bumps on my forehead (not whiteheads though) but this (along with clarisonic) have prevented the big whiteheads I was getting on my chin. LOVE IT!! I however do not recommend it as an overnight spot treatment... trying to gently remove it the next day on a whitehead has almost always resulted in the whitehead itself being ripped off (ew, sorry guys) --> future scar. Boo!

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone who has acne and hasn't tried any sulfur-based products yet.

Oops, Proactiv refining mask!

Name of Mask: Ole Henrikson Power Peel
Price/Availability: $16 for 2 treatments, $45 for 6, at Sehora
Type: 3 step, rinse off
My skin: Severely Dry with Breakouts
My experience: Okay, This is the closest thing you will find to a Professional Glycolic Peel. This is just about the most amazing thing ever. This cleans out all my pores, get rid of all the white bumps on my chin, lightens acne scars with one use, brightens my overall complexion. Only downfall, my face gets to dry and flakey, so i nice hydrating mask daily for a week after will take care of that!
Do you recommend? Oh yes, if you don't have sensitive skin.
Who should use it? anyone with congested pores, acne scars, and anyone looking for serious results!

Highlighted

ahh this makes me so sad because everything you're describing is what I want/need! I used this and it was awful because it was way too harsh on my skin sadly Smiley Sad

It's pretty harsh and i don't have sensitive skin. But i find a way to combat the dryness and redness it leaves because it's exactly what would happen after i got professional chemical peels done. And after a few days it leaves gorgeous skin!

I have been eyeing this one up for a while! I think I will get a set before long, $16 for 2 isn't a huge investment!

Name of Mask: Lush Oatifix
Price/Availability: In-store only at Lush (Call ahead- see tips)
Type: Rinse-off
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: This was recommended to me recently as a replacement for my beloved Catastrophe Cosmetic, and it was a big giant MEH from me. It's marketed for sensitive skin, but I didn't see a big change. It's made from oatmeal and bananas, but it didn't smell super yummy. Better than nothing, but not a love from me.

Do you recommend? Not really

Who should use it? Marketed for sensitive skin

Anything else? Use it quickly- fresh face masks have about a 3 week expiration on them!  Call ahead to your local store and shop the day that they get their masks. Also- hold onto those black pots because 5 black pots = free mask.

Name of Mask: Lush Love Lettuce
Price/Availability: In-store only
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: This is marketed as an exfoliating seaweed mask- I agree. It's been a little while, but I did see some improvement in skin tone and it sure felt softer. I have some very sensitive areas on my face, and this didn't irritate. It hydrated while resurfacing.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Anyone looking for a soft exfoliating mask that's not too tough (read: sensitive skin)

Anything else? Like the others, use it quickly, call ahead and purchase the day that stores receive their stock, and hold onto those black pots.

Name of Mask:  Lush Cosmetic Warrior
Price/Availability: In-store only

My experience: EWWWW. If you can stand the smell (garlic), it's great for breakouts. I gagged while using it, but it helped.

Do you recommend? It's been awhile, but it's worth a shot if you're plagued by breakouts.

Who should use it? Acne sufferers

Anything else? Like the others, use it quickly, call ahead and purchase the day that stores receive their stock, and hold onto those black pots. Also, this stinks. Literally.

Garlic? Um, yum! I worry this might make me hungry, hahah!

Name of Mask: Shiseido White Lucent Power Brightening Mask
Price/Availability: $68, Sephora
Type: Sheet

My experience: This was my first experience with a one-piece sheet mask (the Benefiance is 2 pieces) and I wasn't exactly sure how to deal with it. Once I figured that out, I enjoyed the experience. I didn't think my skin was whiter per se, but it was hydrated and bordering on glowy. It brightened my skin for sure. I only received 2 sample packets, so I can't speak to long-term use.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Anyone looking for a brightening treatment

I'm so curious now! I have a sample of it from the Promo code and am debating grabbing another soon before it runs out! 

Name of Mask: Boots Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask

Price/Availability: $9 at Target

Type of Mask: Rinse-off clay mask

What Type of Skin You Have: Acne-prone skin, combination, slightly dry in the winter, really oily in the warmer months

My Experience: I literally didn't have high expectations even though I had read good reviews on the mask, but I was so surprised because it rinses off so easily and it helps with redness and breakouts without irritation. It really helps if you have dry spots overridden with acne products.

Do You Recommend? I would recommend it if you've tried clay masks with sulfur without success. I think it's good for clogged pores and acne sufferers with sensitive skin.

Name of Mask: Philosophy The Microdelivery dual phase peel

Price/Availability: $69, Sephora

Type: part 1 - scrub, part 2 - activator; rinse-off

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: Part 1 is a very grainy exfoliator with very small buffing beads (think Laura Mercier and Kate Somerville). Smells like oranges. Can be very abrasive - depends on your application. Part 2 is the "activator" you pour the liquid (gel cleanser consistency) on your fingers and rub in a circular motion over the scrub and then let it sit for a few minutes. Gradually helps to fade acne scars. I use this once or twice a month as a very thorough exfoliator. NOT for sensitive skin! Quite harsh. It does suggest to not rub the exfoliator/part 1 as much though if you have sensitive skin and want to use this.

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone who is considering microdermabrasion but rather have an at home alternative. This lasts for a while too (note my usage above). I personally wouldn't recommend to use it too often and I only use it if I have taken a little mini break from retinols, etc.

Gosh, As if i didn't have enough mask in my Loves, This is one i do want!!!

Name of Mask: Apivita Express Beauty Mask with Cucumber
Price/Availability: $30, Sephora
Type: Rinse off
My skin: Severely Dry with Breakouts

My experience: Not as hydrating as over mask but it does the job. Probably won't repurchase as i have other mask i like better.

Do you recommend? Probably not. Didn't do anything amazing, or special. Maybe if you want something for travel these would work
Who should use it? Anyone with dry skin

Just have to say, this is an awesome thread. So much helpful information in one place! Love it :-)

I'm stunned by how much awesomeness is here in such a short time- BT never fails to impress me!

Name of Mask: Aveda Intensive Hydrating Masque

Type of Mask:  Rinse off. 

My Skin:  Dry, sensitive, breaks out easily in small areas.  

My Experience:  I LOVED this mask.  I think I lost it in my last move, but I had it forever.  Once a week you apply a thick layer and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.  Then rinse with warm water.  It was like magic for me.  It left my face so baby soft the next morning and it NEVER broke me out.  

Do You Recommend:  Absolutely!

Who should use it:  dry or inflamed skin.  

OK, this is also on my list.  I'm a loyal Aveda hair girl, so I will pick this up the next time I'm in-store!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • swfupload_8980622225217476296.jpg
  • swfupload_7833194108042955580.jpg
  • swfupload_425836401191757292.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • s562090-main-hero.jpg