Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

My skin very much appreciates clay masks that do not dry down @greeneyedgirl107. I've used TIL kaolin mask before and enjoyed it; may have to check out Versed's version of it - well, first I'll check to see if I already have it. lol. 

@itsfi I didn't know that there were clay masks that didn't dry down.  You've broadened my horizons.  What other clay masks do you like?

@greeneyedgirl107, innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL and Kiehl's Since 1851 Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask 4.2 oz/ 125 mL have been good; they both contain kaolin and bentonite clays so Iโ€™ve been surprised that they are not drying on my skin. I typically only use clay masks on my T-zone and usually remove a little earlier than the recommended wear time.

Not clay masks but some charcoal and mud masks I really like for decongesting the pores  are Origins Clear Improvementโ„ข Charcoal Honey Mask to Purify and Nourish 2.5 oz/ 75 mL and Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor Mud Purifying Black Mask 5 oz/ 150 mL. I would say I like these two more than the clay masks. The Origins I used a couple times per week along my jawline when maskne first started its assault on my jawline. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi Those all look like interesting options!  I've esp been meaning to try the innisfree, but now you have me wanting the PTR and Kiehl's.  I haven't heard of the Origins Charcoal Honey Mask, but have heard of the Origins Mini Clear Improvementโ„ข Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL .  I keep meaning to try that one, too!

G is for gateau (French for cake, so that gives me another G, for global ๐Ÿ˜‰) Shout out to @haleyvvvv for inspiring a French connection for my masking yesterday! ๐Ÿ˜€

G - gateau.jpg

It's been a very long time since I baked a cake ๐ŸŽ‚; we're talking years, not months. It probably would have fit better with the theme if I had gone with a vanilla birthday cake, but I felt like red velvet; so red velvet, it was. Eh. I'm going to need to work on my baking game. Guess that means I'll be eating more cakes.  ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
Mask:Biobelle #LightUp Botanic Fiber Facial Mask with Almond Oil and Vitamin C
Claim(s):Brightening
Material:Botanic TMF-Cell Fiber (biodegradable fiber extracted from pulp of Eucalyptus trees)
Fit:Standard fare - too long at chin/jawline; slightly too wide at temples and needing adjustments to the corners of the eyes, nose and mouth. Not deal breakers.
Adherence:Good. The material is soft and wore comfortably the entire time I had it on, which was about 25-30 minutes.
Essence:Slightly viscous liquid
Scent:Blend of almond oil and perfumed floral scent
Notable Ingredient(s):Almond oil (interestingly the last ingredient listed) and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid - listed as the second-to-last ingredient). Also contains allantoin, sodium hyaluronate
Performance + Results:Meh. I noticed some initial and slight tingling on my upper cheek area, likely due to the vitamin C, but it disappeared almost immediately after applying the mask.  The strip of mask above the lip area dried up much faster than the rest of the mask. My complexion looked dewy and slightly brighter. It felt slightly hydrated as well but not to a degree that was more than I expect from a sheet mask.
What I Liked:Biodegradable material; cute packaging
Area(s) for Improvement:Maybe it's just me (doubtful), but it's odd that the star ingredients (that are actually mentioned in the name of the mask, no less) are the last two listed, suggesting that they appear in the product in minimal (and dare I say, negligible?) amounts.
Overall Thoughts:Biobelle's original sheet mask line up included an almond oil sheet mask (Vitamin E was the other noteworthy ingredient in that mask). I really enjoyed that mask. This seems like it might have been intended as a replacement for that mask. I miss the original Biobelle mask. This one is fine enough; aside from the initial and fleeting tingling, I didn't experience any negative side effects. I'd probably use this one again (though not as a first choice), but I wouldn't seek it out.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from ulta dot com (interestingly, the ingredients are not listed on the Biobelle website)
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Methylpropanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Allantoin, Ca eine, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Acetyl Glucosamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzyl Benzoate, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Fragrance(Parfum), Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Ascorbic Acid, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil

Lip Care, Hand Cream & Candle:

Spoiler
Paired the sheet mask with the Sara Happ Confetti Cake Tube, which smells deliciously of cake but functions more like a balm than a scrub. It does contain granules but not a lot and it's difficult to get the product out of the nozzle. On the one hand, I think the tube packaging is much more hygienic than the tub but the product isn't as effective as the scrubs in the original tub packaging. 

Chapstick Limited Edition Cake Batter Lip Balm smells and tastes great, like cake batter. It also makes my lips soft. This is one that I have kept in my purse for a nice pick me up when I'm out and about, which isn't often, but it's nice to have this balm handy for reapplication. Thank you to the fabulous @Shosh85 for sending this balm my way, along with the wonderfully scented Bath & Body Works Hand Cream Vanilla Butter Cream, which smells just like you'd imagine and helps to keep my hands from drying out with the weather and all the extra hand washing. 

Completing my cake theme is the Voluspa Birthday Cake Candle. I didn't even know Voluspa make a scent like this or that it came in a size that one might describe as a candle on steroids. There's a lot of candle here and I'm not at all upset about that. It smells yummy and makes the house smell like vanilla cake. It smells soooo good! Highly recommend!

@itsfi  Mmmmm....I want cake now!! You made that? You did a lovely job. I was so much in "cake mode" that I clicked on your mask ingredients expecting to see flour, cocoa, Red 40, etc.

Thank you @PrettyPaint! ๐Ÿฅฐ Very sweet of you to say! It turned out okay. I need to do some work on figuring out how to modify the recipe when Iโ€™m subbing other ingredients for the red food coloring. I think the problem was I used both beet powder and pomegranate juice; in hindsight, I  probably should have just stuck with one. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi I love your reviews. That doesn't surprise me the star ingredients are last lol. Tight butts. 

Awww, thank you @Samtian! ๐Ÿฅฐ Yeah, when I see main ingredient(s) that close to the end of the list, Iโ€™m just baffled. I think โ€œyou couldnโ€™t at least put it in the middle?โ€ At least there were some other good and good smelling products in my masking time, and there was cake! ๐Ÿ˜‹ 

Ohhhh yes for cake!! @itsfi and super good! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Aww thank you, @lmaster! ๐Ÿฅฐ Cake ๐ŸŽ‚ is a good theme for so many things, masking included. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi  Yum, just looking at this is giving me a sweet tooth! What a great theme! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฐ

I don't feel like any of the new masks from BioBelle live up to the old/originals. ๐Ÿ˜• Glad this was at least decent. 

Lol @Shosh85! There are definitely times when I donโ€™t know whether my mask choice is influenced by food or drinks or the other way around. ๐Ÿ˜† Yeah, I have not tried all of the new BioBelle masks yet so Iโ€™ll reserve final judgment until I do, but I have a strong feeling that all of them will just be good masks. I know that has so much to do with me comparing them to the original versions, particular the material. Hard not to here though. Biobelle had it so right with the material on their original lineup. 

Came in purely for the Gateaux... @itsfi Galette tomorrow?  Oh... or des Gaufres.... avec Creme Glace? Lol. I'm just here for all the G foods now. 

I had to look up "des gaufres" @missjeanie! I'm feeling like I didn't get all that I should have from my years of French (I'm also feeling hungry! lol). No one told me about des gaufres!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@missjeanie, delicieux!!! I had a creme glacee theme set up for a week or so ago and just didn't have time to get to it. I may try to sneak it in this week. Wow, I could be doing a lot of sheet masking over the next few days here. Hahaha! ๐Ÿคฃ

@itsfi  lol... I've been on a savoury waffles kick of late.  I really need to slow down.  I've been good about the ice cream though!  I always find when I go through periods of not using my French... it drops fast.  I only really use it now with my nieces so we pretty much talk food or cartoons lol

@missjeanie, I feel like you're almost set with having a command of the French language for food and cartoons! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm good with food and drinks at a cafe so if I were lost and could find and hunker down at a cafe or find myself a boulangerie (or even a patisserie), I should be fine! ๐Ÿคฃ I probably should make sure I understand directions again too! Hahaha!

@itsfi I used to work for the government where French was a part of my job so I'd be doing quite a bit of translating.  I feel like my command of the language has really taken on better jargon these days lol!

I agree @missjeanie. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ Proficiency with food is always something I value; that you can do it with food in another language, thatโ€™s awesome. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Throw in cartoons and frankly, thatโ€™s just next level!! 

G for Goodal- in particular the Goodal Blueberry Infused Water Mask

PXL_20210211_165442530.jpg

I've used a few of the older, discontinued Goodal masks in the past and was pretty pleased with them so when @lmaster started saying some good things about the newer versions, I knew I needed to pick a couple up. This was a thin cotton sheet that gave me an excellent fit and great adherence. I didn't pick up much of a scent outside of general freshness, but maybe there was the slightest hint of a fruity scent? Or maybe I was wishing it into existence, ha! The sheet itself was well saturated and I was able to wear it for a good 20 minutes. After removal there was just a little bit of tack that faded fairly quickly. My skin felt refreshed and hydrated, and I did notice there was a little less redness in my cheeks than before the mask. All in all, I was pretty pleased with this one and wouldn't hesitate to re-purchase. 

21,372 Replies
testing