Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@lmaster, it was high enough on the inci list that I thought it would be worth mentioning. I wonder if the sheet masks in this line are similar to the Innisfree My Squeeze range, where the masks with a certain type of essence contain alcohol while the others in the series do not. The snail ๐ŸŒ mask from this line does not contain alcohol, but it has a different essence than this strawberry ๐Ÿ“ one. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค” I'll have to make a note to take a closer look at that.

@itsfi thanks for the comparison on the two masks, here's to hoping more come out with no alcohol ๐Ÿ˜‰

A "L" mask that brings on the vitamins!! L - vitamins - LuLuLun 2.jpg
LuLuLun Plus Fresh Red Sheet Mask claims to provide "youthful clarity" with its mix of vitamins and minerals. I was intrigued. Further research uncovered that this mask contains extracts of acerola and acai, which are good sources of vitamin C. The mask also contains vitamins B3, B5 and E. Acerola produces cherry-like berries, but is not a true cherry; it's a superfruit, containing 17 times more vitamin C than a lemon. The acerola used in this mask hails from Okinawa, Japan and, in addition to being loaded with vitamin C, it contains vitamin A (beta carotene) and vitamin E. A powerhouse vitamin mask!

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
Material & EssenceThese LuLuLun Plus masks are different than the brand's popular daily sheet masks. This Plus series has two different series within the collection - an Aroma line and a Nature Care line; this Fresh Red sheet is part of the Nature Care line. The material in this LuLuLun Fresh Red Sheet Mask is a soft, cushiony, thick cotton. I was very impressed with how soft, light and comfortable this felt against my skin for being a thicker sheet mask. It felt like a soft blanket - comfy and cozy. The mask is saturated in a clear, unscented, watery essence. I could not pick up any scent from either the mask or the packet. Good for those with sensitivity to fragrance. 

Fit & Adherence: I found the size, shape and fit of this mask to be similar be standard - a smidge too wide all along the width, an inch too long at the chin and jawline and slight incisions and adjustments required to the corners of the eye and mouth openings. Adherence was great; I didn't experience any lifting during the 20 minutes I had on the mask (instructions suggest keeping it on for 10-15 minutes). 

Performance & Results: I experienced the slightest bit of tingling in my upper cheek area, which is not uncommon as that is one of the more sensitive areas of my face. I initially thought it might be because of all the vitamin C, but upon inspection of the inci list, I suspect it might have been the retinyl palmitate, a gentler alternative to retinol. I have a sensitivity to retinol so that likely explains the tingling - it was extremely mild and did not last long at all; felt like less than a minute. After tapping in the excess essence that sat atop my skin, my complexion looked and felt refreshed, hydrated. It looked more plump/bouncy as well, with a fresh faced brightness to it. There's a slight tacky-to-the touch feeling that eventually fades away. I don't mind it; I find it provides a nice little grip to my skincare that follows or when used as a skincare prep before makeup application. 

My Two Cents: I'm not sure about the "youthful clarity" claims but the results I obtained were nice. I've used a couple of masks from the LuLuLun Plus series and have enjoyed the ones I have use. The quality of the material and essence are good. Again, I am quite impressed with the feel and wear of a mask that leans on the thicker side. I wouldn't necessary consider these masks "must haves" but they are nice ones to have on hand and I plan to try out others in both lines within this collection. 

Ingredients:
from lululunusa (dot) com
Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Xylitol, Diglycerin, Niacinamide, Sorbitol, Methylparaben, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Tocopherol, Panthenol, Retinyl Palmitate, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Malpighia Emarginata (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Arachis Hypogaea (Peanut) Oil, Punica Granatum Flower Extract, Squalane
Lip Balm:
Spoiler
I didn't have any acerola-specific based lip products so I paired my mask with the next closest thing I had within my line of sight, SEPHORA COLLECTION Vegan Hydrating Lip Balm 3 Cherry. It's a light but thick-leaning balm that keeps my lips soft, moisturized and with a subtle hint of color. This balm, along with the other varietals in this line, has been a nice one to keep on hand to reapply during the day this winter season.

@itsfi the mask material sounds appealing. Similar to how charcoal masks tend to feel on the skin๐Ÿค”

I can't wait to try it!!! @eshoe 

It sounds lovely, doesnโ€™t it @Cucks? ๐Ÿ’— Do you have this one already?

@eshoe, theyโ€™re similar in feeling very comfortable and cozy when worn, but the LuLuLun cotton mask has a lot more heft and thickness than any bamboo charcoal mask Iโ€™ve used. It's not as thick as the Neogen knit mask, but it is more weighty (yet it still feels light) than most sheet masks - definitely helps with the comy, cozy blanket vibe. Both are good and feel really nice on the skin. 

It really does sound cozy, @itsfi! Adding another one to my list. When you have a moment, I would appreciate your input. I am planning out my sheet mask purchase and as far as offering a wide variety, am curious what your online one-stop shop suggestions would be. @lmaster @Shosh85 your thoughts on this?

@eshoe, I've been on a sheet mask no buy for most of last year and this first quarter, but the sites  mentioned by @lmaster and @Shosh85 offer good variety. I've had good experiences purchasing through each of those online stores.

@eshoe  My favorite sites to get masks are the RoseRose Shop and Masksheets. I've never actually bought anything from Yes Style, but I have looked through their site and they do have pretty good variety.

Thank you, @Shosh85! I was thinking about trying RoseRose since they seem to be the only one carrying Peripera. May as well find something to love before itโ€™s no longer available ๐Ÿ˜‰

@eshoe  Yup, the Peripera is one of the main reasons I like the RoseRose Shop. I also like them because they seem to have the best shipping options/prices compared to other Korean sites. I haven't had any issues ordering with them and they're usually pretty generous with samples. Just keep in mind it can take up to a month for delivery.

@eshoe two sites come to mind for me, yestyle dot com and masksheets dot com

Thank you, @lmaster! I love Masksheets, though itโ€™s been awhile since I have ordered from them. 

@itsfi wow this sounds like a great vitamin packed mask

@lmaster, it really was a nice mask. I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did given that it is a thicker mask, but it just feels so comfy and cozy. ๐Ÿ˜ Definitely going to look into others from this line... er, ummm, after my sheet mask no buy has ended, of course. ๐Ÿ˜†

@itsfi  I like the idea of a powerhouse vitamin mask, and the results sound nice! Great info on Acerola - I had no idea it has 17 times more Vit C than a lemon! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ‹

I know, right @Shosh85๐Ÿ˜ฒ I had to read that a couple of times because at first I thought it said the fruit contained 17 vitamins, which would be an very interesting fact as well. But, 17 times more vitamin C than a lemon?!! ๐Ÿ‹ I now want to find (and of course, taste) an acerola fruit, which to me looks very much like a cherry even though I read it is not a true cherry. Sheet masking has not just been about hydrating my skin; it's giving me an opportunity to learn new things, too! ๐Ÿ˜  

I was surprised too about how much I liked the mask material, even though it is thicker. I'm usually all about the thin sheet masks. I'll want to look into the masks in this line more; not sure about the "aroma" line though - with a designation like that, it seems like the scent on those would be more pronounced than subtle. 

A few vitamins and an L for the week:

61C2AD9C-C682-4177-BC38-F30B7370867B.jpeg

Spoiler
Also L for Lots of repeats! The re:p Bio Fresh Mask is extra soothing from the soft herbal scent, to the flecked clay-like (but not drying) texture. The LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Gummy Bear is an easy love, this formula is the longest-lasting Iโ€™ve come across. 

I was so excited to try the by nature Apple Stem Cells + Vitamin E Mask from the lovely @l8totheparty. When she tried this one, I wrote her comments on the back of mine, which read, โ€œLike a choir of angels!โ€ And yes...the scent was slightly apple-y delicious! The fit was well-formed to my face, and slits necessary, and the thin, drippy serum adequately hydrated my skin. After about 35 minutes I removed it and let it settle for a bit. There was only a little remaining tackiness, which dissipated quickly. Like a choir of angels, indeed-what sweet sentiment, and what an enjoyable mask๐Ÿ˜‡ Thank you for sharing this one, l8totheparty!

Finally, I finished the Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml. My skin loves this one, although my winter routine changed a bit this year, and it caused a few breakouts when used on consecutive nights. When my skin
becomes drier, this is one I would definitely repurchase. A good dupe Iโ€™ve found is the Origins Drink Upโ„ข Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/... , so I may replace with that one, too. Both work exceptionally well, in addition to sharing the same almost creamsicle scent๐Ÿ˜‹

@eshoe  What a great masking session! Congrats on finishing up the YTTP! Love that mask!
That By Nature mask is probably my favorite from the line so far, but I just wish they weren't wash off sheet masks. The Green Apple scent was so nice! ๐Ÿ

Wash-off sheet mask you say, @Shosh85? Oh yes indeed, I just re-checked the packet. Of course I missed that. Again! 

The YTTP was just over a year, I believe-it felt great to finish that one, itโ€™s a pretty good-sized jar:)

21,372 Replies
testing