Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  Yeah, honestly if you weren't overly impressed with the acai I probably wouldn't seek out the others. There really wasn't much of a difference in my opinion.

Banana duel ๐ŸŒ

2F947529-D6CB-453B-BB42-104986550767.jpeg

Spoiler

A'pieu Banana vs. Ulta Banana

Material:

A'pieu: Medium thickness cotton

Ulta: Thin, pale yellow cotton

Serum:

A'pieu: Milky. Just a little extra in the pouch

Ulta:

Clear, slightly viscous. Not much extra

Scent:

I swear they both had the exact same scent - sweet imitation banana that smelled like banana runts

Fit:

A'pieu: A little too long at the chin and a smidge too wide at the temples.  The adherence wasn't the greatest and had a slight baggy kind of feel. It also would not stay down at the bridge of the nose and the extra length at the chin popped up a few times

Ulta: Great fit and adherence - just a little long at the chin

Wear Time:

Both were worn for a half hour

Tack:

Both had very light tack that only stuck around for a few minutes

Results:

A'pieu: My face looked a little brighter and my skin felt soft and smooth and nicely moisturized

Ulta:

Comfortably hydrated, soft and smooth skin with a nice glow.

Who wins?

Despite the adherence issues with the A'pieu mask, I really liked the milky serum and the results were a little better than the Ulta one. A'pieu wins this round, but it was really almost a tie.

Repurchase?

Both of these masks are repurchases and will continue to be!

Ingredients:

A'pieu:
4A5B31F5-D67B-4837-B4A5-630916565869.jpeg

Ulta:
2EC755C1-71C8-4952-825C-CA3095974205.jpeg

@Shosh85 the entire time I was reading this "bananas in pyjamas' was playing in my head.  Gonna need to add the Ulta version to my eventual to purchase list.  Love me some fake banana scent!

@missjeanie  Haha! Well now you got it stuck in my head! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I actually still have that book from when I was little! ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85 ohhhh nice duel!! 

Thanks @lmaster! I was looking forward to this one! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐ŸŒ

Oooh yay, hurray, @Shosh85 - that Ulta one has been patiently waiting on my to-do list thanks to you! Great comparison and duel๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Thanks @eshoe I was looking forward to this duel, especially because I knew they both had a nice banana scent!  I just wasn't expecting them to smell pretty much identical! 

@Shosh85  Oh, that's exciting that it's almost a tie! I love the A'Pieu, but the ulta one will be easier to get my hands on. And I'm so glad the scent is basically the same. 

@PrettyPaint  They were really sooo close!  I even I'll definitely have back-ups of each of them in my stash at all times! As soon as the Ulta one comes back in stock, I'll be ordering a couple more! ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ˜‹

Great duel @Shosh85๐ŸŒ I like that banana extract is the first ingredient listed on the Ulta mask but the milky serum and royal jelly extract in the A'Pieu one makes me smile just thinking about it and makes me think of that Secret Key banana honey mask from years gone by. ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ’› The banana runt scent on both is a welcome bonus!

@itsfi  Oh man, I miss that Secret Key mask! That one was seriously sooo good! There's just nothin' like it. ๐Ÿ˜ข

These banana masks are both really great! I first got the Ulta one just to up the price for free shipping- I honestly wasn't expecting to love it so much! ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŒ

@Shosh85, even as the possibility of it coming back in stock becomes more and more remote, I still continue to hold out hope that Secret Key will bring that mask back. ๐Ÿ˜ž In my head I know the chances of that are very, very slim. I'm telling you though, if that mask or the Too Cool For School Coconut Ceramide Mask make a comeback, I will break whatever no buy or low buy I may be on, in a heartbeat. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Z is for Zen 

Z - zen.jpg

Mask:
Leaders Daily Wonders Relax It's Zen Time!

Material:
Medium-thick cotton. The material on this mask is what I would consider standard or the norm for Korean sheet masks.

Essence / Serum:
Clear, slightly viscous essence, not runny nor goopy, with a fresh, predominantly floral blend, with hints of leaf and herbal scents. With the first smell of this, nostalgia kicked in and I thought, "there's that signature Leaders sheet mask scent." Or, at least, it is a scent that reminds me of Leaders masks from the past, as their collection of sheet masks has expanded and, along with it, the scent associated with each mask.

Adherence & Fit:
Adherence was good. Fit can be made to workfor me, that's taking off about an inch from the chin and making small incisions to the sides of the openings for the eyes, nose and mouth to help the material lie flat.

Performance:
The sheet felt cooling and soothing against the skin. It wore comfortably for 20 minutes, though it started drying at upper lip and parts of cheeks very close to the end of that wear time.

Results:
Skin looked and felt refreshed and hydrated, with a slight bounce. Thereโ€™s a noticeable tackiness that lingers but becomes unnoticeable as I continue with the next steps in my skincare routine.

Best Suited For:
Dehydrated, dry, normal, and possibly combo. It could work well for those with combo-leaning-oily skin as well as those with oily skin without the essence being too heavy or too much if they wring out some of the essence before applying the mask. This would work well as a makeup primer mask.

Repurchase?:
Probably. I have several favorite sheet masks from Leaders; this one falls somewhere in the middle tier of the brand favorites.

Z is for ZOMG!! 

Drum roll, please๐Ÿฅ This is my very last sheet mask from the pandemic and pre-pandemic eras. ๐Ÿ™Œ If I'm being completely honest, I didn't think this would actually come to pass. I can get very easily distracted by sheet masks, lip balms, skincare, lippies, shoes, handbags, candles . . . you get the picture. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰ It was a lot of sheet masks that I amassed over the years and, in turn, a lot to get through. Lots of lessons learned along the way as well, about my likes, dislikes, preferences, haul habits and so much more. I think I'll take a few days off from sheet masking ๐Ÿ˜ฒ and work on organizing my new stash of sheet masks for my mask library. โค๏ธ It's a somewhat strange feeling to not have to do an initial sort by expiration date. ๐Ÿคฃ 

Woah!!  Way to go @itsfi !! I love that you've hit your goal and found out about what you prefer along the way.  Super fun to have new stash to go through now!

Thank you @missjeanie! ๐Ÿค— Iโ€™m excited to cycle through a new set of sheet masks.  I made sure to include some tried and true favorites that are repeated repurchases โ™ฅ๏ธ as well as new ones. Iโ€™m at less than the max number Iโ€™ve allowed myself and am aiming to not even get that high. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ We shall see if any new habits or haul patterns emerge. 

@itsfi that's a major accomplishment!! 

Thank you @lmaster! Now comes the next challenge - trying to keep my mask stash on the leaner side. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi WOOOHOOO!!!! Congrats!

Thank you @Samtian! ๐Ÿ˜Š It feels good to have a much more manageable amount of masks. I need to remember this so I donโ€™t go overboard again. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi  Its hard to go wrong with Leaders! This one sounds like a nice one.

ZOMG is right! You've done a fantastic job sticking to your goal! I know I don't have that much self-control.. haha! It's those boxes of masks from TJ Maxx/Marshall's that really get me into trouble! ๐Ÿ˜‚

21,372 Replies
testing