Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi I completely understand your stance on both

@itsfi @lmaster I have noticed that SNP carries a few masks with the nest extract. I have steered clear of the brand for the time being as I often forget to the skim through ingredients prior to using. I do like some of the jelly masks, but there are plenty of others out there.

@eshoe @itsfi I watched it,,, yeah that's going to be a no go for me, wish I would of realized what this mask really was before buying ๐Ÿ˜” darn pretty packaging!! 

Well @lmaster I am sure we have all done thatโ€ฆyou are not the only one! Moving forward ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ @itsfi 

@itsfi This one sounds decent. I've been wanting to try the honey version - have you tried that one?

I don't see myself ever using a mask with the swiftlet nest ingredient again, but it's good to hear there are more humane practices for collecting the nests!

@Shosh85, I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve tried the honey version. I thought I picked that one up but I mistook the Vitamin C one for the honey one. I too am interested in trying the honey mask because โ€ฆ honey!!! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ 

Yeah I have a list of ingredients that I avoid; swiftlets nests is on the list. Along with ingredients that do not agree with my skin. Makes me more mindful of reading the ingredients list. Or passing on a mask if I canโ€™t read the ingredients. 

@itsfi  Oh, thanks for posting this. So I wonder if the parent company/associated brands would source it from the same place. I probably still don't plan to seek out this ingredient, but I still get a little freaked out when I come across it in the ingredients list unknowingly. 

I hear ya @PrettyPaint. Thereโ€™s not a lot of info on this particular ingredient in terms of sourcing by cosmetics company. This was included in a random mix of sheet masks so I went to try to find as much info as I could. Anytime I see that a mask touts anti-aging or firming as a function of the mask, I make sure to vet the ingredients list carefully to make sure this ingredient isnโ€™t included. 

@itsfi ahhhh that's so good to know,, do you think your friend would know anything about seahorse extract?

@lmaster, probably not. I asked his mom if she'd send an email to the brand after she mentioned to me that as far as she knew there were suppliers who built their own swiftlet farms in response to the declining population of swiftlets a few years back. 

I once read that there were seahorse farms on Jeju Island in South Korea, but to know whether an ingredient in a sheet mask if from one of those farms or other farms, you'd have to check with the manufacturer or brand to find out more information about where/how they source their ingredients. 

Thank you @itsfi 

@lmaster, is the brand that makes the seahorse mask you used Rarita? I tried an image search and it said Rarita. If thatโ€™s the case, thatโ€™s the seahorse farm on Jeju Island I read about. 

Ok yes! And I just read that article, it does say they don't raise them strictly,, was that the word used? For skincare, it does say they are dried when they start the process, good information, I just really want to know are they alive when harvested for this process @itsfi luckily I only bought two of those masks

@lmaster, I feel like it's one of those things that I want to know . . . but at the same time I think maybe I don't want to know, you know?!! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Good call on only getting a couple of them.

@itsfi yes, very true

Late post from a mask from a couple of weeks ago - grocery store masking

H - drugstore - grocery store.jpg

Facial Scrub:

Spoiler

Trader Joe's Blueberry Acai Facial Scrub is a high quality, affordable ($5.99 for 2oz), deliciously blueberry scented, gentle and moisturizing, chemical (AHA) and physical exfoliator that, after massaging it all over my face for 30 seconds and rinsing off, leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth and refreshed.

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler

Whole Foods Age Defying Acai Air Wrapping Mask is a 2-piece, pale metallic pink hued mask made up of two layers - the interior of cotton and the exterior of foil. The foil side is to be placed outward with the cotton side placed against your skin. Fit was pretty good with this mask - the forehead was about 1/2" too short for me and I needed to make some very minor incisions to the inner corners of eye openings

Adherence was fine - the mask stayed on my face for the entire half hour of wear. During that time, I did not experience any lifting but, as with most foil masks, it doesn't meld into the skin as easily or seamlessly as other sheet mask material. There's a slight tacky-to-the-touch feel after 30 minutes of wear, but that dissipates quickly after the clear, watery, unscented essence is fully absorbed into the skin, which takes about 15 minutes. 

This foil mask claims to soften, tone and refresh skin. My skin did feel soft, but no more so than with any other sheet masks. I'm not sure what is meant by the toning claim nor do I think this mask provided any toning benefits. As for leaving skin refreshed, I would say that my complexion did look awakened, fresh faced and refreshed and my skin felt lightly hydrated

This is one of the better foil masks on the market and it's one I would use again if I had another one on hand, but it's not one I would necessarily run out to purchase again. 

@itsfi 

That little shopping cart is adorable.

@missy94612, it is! ๐Ÿ›’ Makes a fun prop.

That Whole Foods mask is my favorite of their foils, too, @itsfi. The Trader Joeโ€™s  does have the yummiest berry scent!

@eshoe, Iโ€™m impressed with both their skincare treats. Thereโ€™s a lot of competition in that space so not every one of their products will be repurchases but for companies that do not specialize in manufacturing masks, I think WF and TJ do a pretty good job with their skincare offering.

True, @itsfi. I just love how TJ has their own version of the watermelon mist and sleeping mask. I havenโ€™t tried the later to compare, but itโ€™s such a great choice of offerings.

21,367 Replies
testing