Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@QueenMarceline  Yup, both are winners for me! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

That Goodal mask sounds so nice @Shosh85 , love when the star ingredients are so high on the list as well.  I remember the odd ball fit on the Sweet Chef mask.  I picked up a couple of their serums hoping they'd be similar to the masks, and if memory serves I still have the one matching this mask left yet.  Thanks for the heads up to go check!

@missjeanie  I think I remember the Kale one having the worst fit out of the three I've tried. 
I actually forgot I had some of those serums too! Thanks for the reminder! I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 @missjeanie I am now reminded that I have foil samples of the serums I still need to use. At this point I wonder if I should just re-home them - I already have serums I enjoy a lot and would repurchase, along with a handful of DS serums I really want to try, and a list of ones I want to try after those. ๐Ÿ˜† 

"Sample September" "Foils in February" " Spring Samples Sprung" @itsfi We need a sample project!

Spoiler
Not on theme but I kept seeing them at Ulta so I went for it. Weekly Reset anytime marks. 

so I will say this is probably one of the best fitting masks Iโ€™ve used. The hydro gel really contoured to my face and it stuck super well - I was able to get up and do stuff with it on. Also, the chin was more roomy than usual for a hydro mask which is always an issue for me. 

however, I didnโ€™t really feel like the results were worth $7. Like it was fine, but Iโ€™ve used more nourishing masks for half the price 

341B3990-B43F-4CA9-9534-59A6999FB3AE.jpeg

โ€ƒ

I have been curious about this line but havenโ€™t taken the plunge because the price seems a little hard to justify without knowing the results, @Kim888. Thanks for sharing and helping me to decide! 

Thanks for the honest review!! @Kim888 

I can totally understand what you're saying about the price and not being able to justify that with the results, @Kim888. At least the experience with the fit went well! It's always nice to find a mask that doesn't require to much adjusting. 

@Kim888, always a plus when the fit works out well. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I donโ€™t know why I keep forgetting these are hydrogel masks - ahh, you are on theme - h for hydrogel. Also, an E for Emily Ratajkowski, the face of these masks. 

@itsfi @You are always so good at thinking of ways to get on theme  !!

@Kim888  I was wondering about these! It's good know your thoughts on it!

@Kim888 I feel this way about so many masks this year... they're fine... but not worth XXX amount of dollars.  I think TJMaxx spoiled me with masks working out to a buck or less each.

A trio of refreshing fruit masks for the week.

F - fruit collage (jpg).jpg

tl;dr:

Spoiler
When I set aside these masks for a F for fruit theme, I didn't realize how many traits these three masks had in common - each claims to moisturize and vitalize the skin, each consists of a clear, slightly viscous, watery essence, and each mask fits in the filler or filler+ mask category. Of these three, the Goodal blueberry mask is my favorite and the one from this group that I would repurchase without hesitation. The other two are good, but not great - there are other masks that perform just as well, if not better, even within its own line or brand.

Mango sheet mask

Spoiler
The material of the Farmstay Real Mango Essence Mask leans slightly thinner than most sheet masks, has a light weightness to it but is still soft, and is saturated but not dripping in a clear, slightly viscous essence essence. I wonder if the material is cotton cupra? The sheet adheres well and even with my skin being on the drier side, there's so much essence that I can get at least 30 minutes of wear from this before the material covering the drier parts of my face start to dry. Skin feels plump and lightly hydrated, with some noticeable but not discomforting tack

This mask, and it seems other masks in this line, is, at best, a filler mask. A good hydrating one, but a filler mask all the same. The scent is one of the standout features; the mask smells amazing - sweet, with a tropical fruit notes. I didn't immediately think mangoes but it was leaning in that direction! Though it's hard to know whether the scent is the result of the mango extract in the mask (13th of 16 ingredients) or the added fragrance at the end of the INCI list. Sigh.

Another interesting thing about this mask is that it seemed to cling more to my skin the longer I had it on and about a minute or so into it, my eyes started to water. This continued for probably 30-40 seconds but it felt longer. Then my eyes stopped watering and the sheet, while still adhering well to my skin felt less like it was sunctioning my skin. Odd, and yet I'm interested in using another one of these masks just to see if I experience those same things again. Hahaha! I may put this mask on the list of ones to try again when the weather warms up.
Blueberry sheet mask:
Spoiler
Goodal Blueberry Infused Water Mild Sheet Mask has a following among some of the lovely maskers here. I've tried a few of the masks from this line and have liked them so it was an easy purchase when I caught sight of this deliciously blueberry-scented watery essence infused bamboo sheet that because of how soft and thin the material is, feels comfortable for the entire half an hour wear time. The mask claims to vitalize the skin, which I take to mean it rejuvenates and refreshes the skin, possibly along the lines of improving the appearance of skin or having anti-aging benefits. I don't think a single use of a mask is enough to gauge how well it performs in delaying, blurring or turning back the signs of aging, but this one-time use was enough to leave my skin happily hydrated with a fresh-faced glow. There's a lot to love with those results.  Another thing to love is that the spotlight ingredient is pretty high up on the INCI list - blueberries are the fourth ingredient listed (1,000 ppm). โค๏ธ I can see this mask being a nice one to use on a daily or near daily basis, a solid performer as a filler+ mask. 
Lemon sheet mask:
Spoiler
Holika Holika Pure Essence Mask Sheet Lemon claims to moisturize and refresh (or vitalize) skin with lemon extract. Looking at the INCI list, however, I would venture to say that the mask functions to exfoliate (extracts of lemon, apple and papaya and orange oil), soothe (anti-inflammatory properties in extracts of cica, chamomile, and peony), and hydrate the skin (glycerin, allantoin, and panthenol).  The thin leaning cotton cellulose sheet is full of a clear, fresh, lemon scented, watery essence that feels cooling upon contact with the skin. I also experienced a slight and brief tingling on the most sensitive parts of my skin at the very beginning of my mask time, which was to be expected given the exfoliating ingredients in the mask.  The essence absorbs easily, without tack or stickiness. While I wouldn't say that my skin felt moisturized, it did feel soft, smooth, and lightly hydrated, and my complexion looked fresh faced and brighter
Lip Care:
Spoiler
Chidoriya Yuzu Lip Balm is made up of just 4 ingredients; namely, camellia oil, bees wax, yuzu oil and rose hip oil. It has a soft, thin, lightweight feel and melts smoothly into the lips. I find this to work very well in the warmer months, or to prep, hydrated, and prime the lips before applying lipsticks, particularly matte or liquid lipsticks.

TonyMoly Blueberry Lip Balm has the cutest packaging of the three balms but it's probably the least effective as far as results go, at least as I see it.

Kiehl's Since 1851 Scented Lip Balm Mango has a lovely (and light) scent of fresh mangoes, and the balm, though a little challenging coming out of the tube, does turn more emollient once the product makes contact with the warth of my lips. It then takes on a more balmy feel, applying easily and beautifully, coating the lips in an emollient and nourishing cushion. 

@itsfi 

Always love your photos and reviews. I see the Holika Holika masks a lot but haven't used one. Have you tried many of them? Are there flavors you like more? I keep seeing good things about the Goodal masks from this group. That's a brand I want to look into more.

@itsfi oh these look really refreshing!! 

@lmaster, yes, refreshing, and hydrating, as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love that you have balms to pair with each mask, @itsfi! That line of the Goodal masks does have some good ones. I think I have the blueberry on hand to try out, so I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you! 

@quspork, itโ€™s another indicator that I may have slightly too many balms. ๐Ÿ˜ Itโ€™s a category of products Iโ€™m focused on whittling down this year. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ I have quite a few more to try but the Goodal sheet masks in this line have been nice. Have you tried many of them? Any favorite(s)?

@itsfi  Love this picture collage! I also love a good fruity theme ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฅญ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿ‹

Your experience with the Mango mask is so strange! I'd definitely be curious to know if this happens again!

I really loved that Blueberry mask. I've only tried a few from the line, but so far Blueberry is my favorite ๐Ÿซ I plan on trying the Raspberry Infused Honey one  next ๐Ÿ˜‰ Which ones have you tried so far?

@Shosh85, awww, thank you!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Love fruity sheet masks, even better if they have a yummy fruity scent.  

I must be a glutton for punishment because I'm sorta looking forward to giving this one another try - I even eyeballed my sheet mask collection to try to gauge when might be a good time for the next haul. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Maybe it's time to start up a list for my next sheet mask haul. ๐Ÿ—’ I can't be too prepared for a sheet mask haul, right?!!

Of the Goodal ones, I've tried quince and the mugwort ones in addition to this blueberry mask. The quince mask was my intro to this line - that was a couple years ago, at least. I really need / want to try more from the line. 

21,373 Replies
testing