Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Thank you @eshoe.  I have enjoyed it ๐Ÿ˜€

It absolutely sounds repurchase worthy!! @Cissy63 

@lmaster @Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€

@Cissy63, it says so much about a mask if itโ€™s a repurchased product, ๐Ÿ˜ƒ A cocoa and coconut mask sounds fabulous!

Thank you @itsfi. Itโ€™s a winner!

Love the idea of an "open" theme for masking @missy94612! I got a little bit of a head start on it, using a couple of these over the weekend.

Open week - Tatcha + Innersense.jpg

Tatcha The Clarifying Clay Mask Exfoliating Pore Treatment 1.7 oz/ 50 mL - if this didn't slot so easily into the open week theme, it probably would have fallen (and still does) into the month's letter theme of P for a potentially pore purifying and pimple pulverizing mask. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Spoiler
I was interested in trying out this Tatcha The Clarifying Clay Mask Exfoliating Pore Treatment when I heard about its release. The lower half of my T-zone goes from oily to very oilier during the late spring - summer - early fall seasons and that is the time of year when I experience more than just the occasional breakout. I'm happy with my current blemish blasting go-to's of cleansers, toners, masks and treatments, but am always interested to see what else is out there, and picked up a sample when I went in store to pick up an online purchase. I chatted away with the cast member about the product, asked how potent or strong the mask was, and learned that it is "active", as per the cast member, many Tatcha products are. Given what the cast member said, I decided to use it that evening solely as a spot treatment on a rather unsightly and very laaarge zit on my chin. Ugh.

I left it on for much longer than the 3-5 minutes, only because I was using it as a spot treatment over a spot that was so extra that it seemed fitting to give it extra time. Contrary to its claims, I did not experience any warming, subtle or otherwise, but to be fair, I was testing it not for its pore opening and purifying properties but to see how it would perform against this problematic pimple that I really needed to go away quickly. I left the product directly on the blemish and slightly around the perimeter of it, for probably 10, maybe 15 minutes, wiped it off and then applied my moisturizer before going to sleep. I woke up the next morning and was extremely pleased to see that the gunk of the unwelcomed guest on my face was not only gone, but the zit itself had completely flattened and looked to be on the road to healing. What?!! That took me by surprise - in the best way!

So, now I'm a little conflicted. A full size jar of this mask is quite large, as is its price tag - which makes sense as I'd probably have even more reservations about a heavy price tag for a small jar of product. I'm not sure a full size would be something I need. As I said, I like the products I currently have for my acne care - they're gentle and effective; this one seems like it might be too potent for my skin for something other than a spot treatment. The product is new so for the time being, I plan to hold off on purchasing a full size, but will be keeping my eye out for a promo gwp through Sephora or a travel size either direct or at Sephora. A promo gwp size seems like it would the perfect size for how I would incorporate this product into my routine. 

Tagging @greeneyedgirl107 and @ather just in case they might be interested in a product like this one. (Apologies if there are others I missed).
Open week - Tatcha clay mask 1.jpg
Open week - Tatcha clay mask 2.jpg

Innersense Organic Beauty Detox Hair Mask

Spoiler
This lightweight but rich, deep slate charcoal cream does a good job of removing residue and buildup without making hair feel dry or stripped of its oils. My scalp felt clean, cleansed and my hair was soft and smooth after using the mask. My allergies got the best of me the day I used it so I wasn't able to put this to the smell test but I will be reaching for this one again and will be sure to note that in future uses.
Open week - Innersense Detox Hair Mask.jpg

Mented Balms Away Coconut Lip Treatment

Spoiler
I finally got my hands on this product!  Referring to it as a treatment and not a balm is the right approach - it's a two-in-one treatment giving lips some very light exfoliation and moisture. I've used this on a few occasions and have picked up a very faint real coconut scent to it.  This is on the thicker side as far as balms go, not overwhelmingly so. It comes out of the tube easily and applies well, it just leans slightly thicker. There was a surprising grainy feel to it; I didn't mind it but it's not what I was expecting and it makes me think this is best suited as an evening or overnight lip treatment. The grainy feel goes away and lips are left feeling soft and lightly moisturized

@itsfi  

The Tatcha sounds like something my skin would like but that's one expensive mask.

Hmmm @itsfi, the Tatcha sounds like an ideal candidate for promo size pick-up! The jar is rather large, and they do seem to last forever.  

@eshoe, for my skin and how I would use the mask, a DS or travel size is definitely the way to go. A full size would probably go bad long before I could make my way through most of it, so it doesnโ€™t make sense for me to pick up a full size.

@itsfi Thanks for the tag!  I'm always interested in clay masks - but "ouch!" on the price!  A GWP would definitely be the way to go.  Esp if you're only using as a spot treatment.

I realized that I forgot to buy Peace Out Oil-Absorbing Pore Treatment Strips .  I might as well do it while masks are still a thing in case it goes horribly wrong!

@greeneyedgirl107, if I see the Tatcha as a promo gwp, I'll tag you. 

I ordered another box of the Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots 40 Acne Healing Dots for that same reason. I hope I won't go through them all this spring / summer but that seems unlikely. At least I'll be prepared. Ha!

@itsfi I would be interested in a promo for this too,, the price is insane, but if it does that great of a job, I'd be interested for sure

@lmaster, I have to think (and some of that wishful thinking is my strategy here ๐Ÿ˜†) that there will be a promo, yes? It bodes well for us that they have a history of promos at Sephora with new launches so ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ. I know Tatcha is on the higher end of the price spectrum, but I was SCHOCKED!! when I saw the price tag on this one. Woo-whee thatโ€™s a lot of pretty pennies ๐Ÿ’ธ to get rid of my pimples, surprisingly fast as it may have been that first time.

@itsfi   Such great reviews thank you!  Your description of the zit had me rolling on the floor!!  Itโ€™s so on point!!

@Cissy63, thank you! I was so pleasantly surprised by the Tatcha mask. I really do not need another clay mask at the moment so Iโ€™ll hold off until another time (or a mini or promo gwp version becomes available). Those pesky pimples!! ๐Ÿ˜  Theyโ€™re the uninvited house guests that donโ€™t ever leave quickly enough on their own. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

M is for milk and moisturizing

Moisturizing mask.jpg

HE SAID: I like this one. My skin feels soft and smooth. Even I couldn't stop touching my face. My skin felt like it does after I use the face lotion and I thought I could skip it, but my wife said that might not be a good idea. She knows best so I put on my face lotion.

SHE SAID: Skin feels soft, smooth, and nourished. My skin is on the drier end even with the change in weather but it felt moisturized after this mask. I've learned from some here to always follow up with moisturizer so I kept going with my skincare regimen, and my husband too (though he refers to moisturizer as face lotion - he's not wrong. lol) 

This got me thinking, @missy94612 - do you buy every mask in sets of two? It always brings a smile to my face when reading the comparison/contrast the two of you make together. That is sweet that he respects your advice on all things skincare, too!

On the topic of lotionโ€ฆI I have heard of hair conditioner referred to as hair lotion too, whichโ€ฆI guess that isnโ€™t wrong, either ๐Ÿ˜‚

@eshoe 

Thanks. I think we know what is in each person's wheelhouse and what is not. I trust him when he tells me about things like the car, why we need to update whatever electronic gadget we're updating, and he humors me when it comes to masks and skincare, though he's had some great thoughts about it too. Mask buying habits in our house usually fall into 2 buckets - I buy 1 and if I like it, I will pick up more when I run out; or, I will usually buy 1 or 2 boxes of 5 or 10 masks that I find at TJ Maxx or online and we'll go through those. Lately we haven't had to buy masks ourselves. A couple of maskers here have been thoughtful to send us some out of the blue and my SIL's brother-in-law's sister (I think that's my SIL's SIL??) travels to Asia quite a bit and she always brings back a ton of masks for my SIL and she shares ones that she gets multiples or packs of. 

@missy94612 

Mask shopping in Asia is fun, but dangerous. If your SIL's SIL finds AM Piggyhead masks, tell her to grab 'em all. Haha!

@nuinui933 

I told her about them and now she's on a mission to find them. LOL.

It sounds like you have a great relationship, @missy94612. And a โ€˜built-inโ€™ masking partner, even betterโ˜บ๏ธ 

It also sounds like you have a great extended family, how thoughtful of her (your SILโ€™s SIL?) to be so generous and for that to spill over to you. 

21,367 Replies
testing