Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2023 Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Samtian Ya know... I genuinely couldn't help my curiosity when I saw your comment ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Eminence Raspberry Mask:

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 12.47.19 PM.png

Smuckers Raspberry Jelly:

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 12.50.07 PM.png

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

@QueenMarceline Haha thank you for posting them! Ok a lot more different than I was expecting. 

Ingredient spotlight: hot cocoa โ˜• 

Cocoa masks.jpg

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
Mask:Sephora Collection Hot Cocoa Face Mask
Type:Sheet
Claims:Nourishing and soothing
Material:Soft, thin, plant-based material (acacia-derived fiber)
Adherence:Well, did not dry up or lift anywhere, not even the part of the mask covering my most dry areas.

Fit:Good. Material was neither lacking or overly abundant in the areas covering the nose bridge and philtrum. Openings for eyes and mouth were wide enough, though I wouldn't have minded if it were wider at the mouth. There was enough material to cover my extra-long forehead; width was great; and there was about 1/2" more material at the chin/jawline.
Essence:Slightly watered-down, milky essence; consistency was a cross between an emulsion and a cream

Viscosity:Not too thin nor too thick, with just enough viscosity to keep it from running or dripping down the face / neck

Scent:A very faint hint of something leaning cocoa powder like, but sadly, I didn't pick up a hot cocoa drink smell like @lmaster did. If anything, there was also a scent that leaned slightly of plastic; it was familiar but I couldn't pinpoint it exactly when I had on the mask, but later heard it described (and very aptly so) as smelling like play-doh. Yes, play-doh, which, while not offensive, isn't what I would consider pleasant. Though it lingered a little after I applied the mask, it did eventually dissipate completely.

Tack or Stickiness:The slightest tack to the touch once the sheet is removed and the essence is pressed into the skin.

Performance:Initially upon application, there's a lovely cooling effect that feels nice and soothing, on the skin; this lasts for some time though not the entire recommended 10 minutes of wear. 

Results:Skin feels lightly hydrated, moisturized & nourished and complexion looks brightened, refreshed & awake
FYI:* Packaging is recyclable and the sheet itself is compostable.
* It does contain added fragrance, in the top half of the ingredients list
* The illustration on the packaging is cute.
* It would be nice if there was a print on the sheet itself.
* Makes for a great stocking stuffer or holiday gift

Best suited for:All skin types in the winter months, particularly nice for those with combo-leaning dry or dry skin types
Buy or Bye?:It's a BUY for me, notwithstanding the scent.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Hot Cocoa Face Mask 1 mask / pack 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Hot Cocoa Lip Sleeping Mask 

@itsfi  Sounds like a winner! I havenโ€™t tried mine yet but I definitely need too. I need to step up my masking game! I have been slacking. How was the cocoa lip balm? 

@ather, I have another one to use (maybe next week, but we shall see), but will be interested to hear how you like yours. 

With masking, we have to do what is best for our skin. Sometimes thatโ€™s daily masking and other times, masking daily or even weekly may not be right for your skin. How often would you like to be masking? 

The lip mask is fine; that seems to be the case with all the lip masks from the brand. The packaging of course is adorable and the scent is on point for the holiday season. It provides some hydration to the lips but I wouldnโ€™t say itโ€™s in my top 3. That said, I have used my fair share of lip balms / lip masks so itโ€™s got some stiff competition to clear that bar. This is one Iโ€™d gift ๐ŸŽ but itโ€™s not necessarily a balm / mask that Iโ€™d say is top tier. @lmaster @QueenMarceline 

@itsfi  I would like daily but lately that has not been working for me. I would like to get back to weekly masking at the least. But I agree with you. I try and base it off my skin. My skin has been great. We have had mild weather for November. Itโ€™s so dry but so far so good. I think my skin would love the extra moisture masks right now! Maybe tomorrow Iโ€™ll get a few

minutes to mask! 

Darn. I had high hopes for that lip mask. But we know so many other great balms! 

PS did you see Rhode is launching a jelly bean flavoured sparkle balm!! 

That makes me happy to hear that your skin is doing great @ather. I know you've been working on it - it feels so good when your skincare is working the way you want it to. Yaaaay! ๐Ÿ˜ Keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get in some me time with a mask. ๐Ÿคž 

Yeah, the Sephora Collection lip masks have all been just fine, same really for their lip balms, save a honey lip balm and scrub they had way back when. Wish it would be brought back but it's been gone for a while so I'm not sure about that. There are so many great lip balms out there. I'm trying to be very good about just sticking to the brands I like and being selective about picking which new ones (new brands) I venture out and try. That's not always easy to do.

I did see that Rhode will have a new lip treatment coming out. It's with their lip tint line, yes? Not the original lip balm / lip treatment collection? 

@itsfi  Thanks! My skin has been a work in progress! But things are great. I think finding products that work well for my skin is a positive! 

The Rhode looks like their original lip treatment with a jelly bean flavour and sparkles! I like she mentioned 90s vibes. Canโ€™t go wrong with a 90s vibe! It it least I canโ€™t! 

@ather, I've been enjoying the 90's vibes in beauty and fashion - there's some nostalgia in it for me. The bad side of it is that it makes me think "see, I should have kept X" and that is not right - I have enough stuff I've hoarded, don't need all my 90s things. ๐Ÿ˜… 

I'm so intrigued by the jelly bean flavor! ๐Ÿค” The countdown begins...

@itsfi  Have you seen the jelly bean case? I remember having coin purses like that when I was a kid! Oh no maybe this gives my age away! ๐Ÿคฃ

I know what you mean. I was thinking the same. I also never thought the 90s would come back! I mean thereโ€™s still some 90s things I would not bring back. My eyebrows still are so thin. 

lol, the 90s certainly had their share of good and bad beauty trends @ather๐Ÿ˜… My brows have always been on the fairly full side and that didn't change in the 90s, and if thin brows become all the rage again, I'm still keeping my brows as is. Now, brown lipsticks. They look great on many, including many on BIC, but not so much on me. Oh goodnees, not on me. I had a better chance of pulling it off if the lipstick had some red or mauve tones in it so that it wasn't a pure brown shade. I'm not sure I'd try it again if that part of the 90s come back around; or, maybe I'd try it with a brown liner and some balm or gloss. 

The jelly bean case is adorable! ๐Ÿ˜  

@itsfi  Agreed on the brown lipstick. They do not look good on me either ๐Ÿคฃ or do you remember the super pale skin colour sparkle lipstick? I donโ€™t think I could pull that one off either. Pretty sure I tried. I like a mauve or a berry colour! 

Yes @ather, pale, flesh color lip shades are not flattering on me. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ It could be declared a public nuisance if I were to wear that out. An eyesore at the very least. Ugh, I shudder just thinking about it. It looks great on many people but on me โ€ฆ weโ€™ll just say, not so great. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ 

Totally agree @itsfi 

@itsfi That picture is beautiful! 

@Samtian, thank you so much; that means a lot coming from you. Iโ€™m finding time here and there to get back into setting up shots for my masking. Yaaay! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@itsfi Gorgeous photo ๐Ÿ™‚ I was eyeing that mask during the sale but decided to skip it since I have so many waiting to be used, sigh. The lip sleeping mask looks great as well, I must've completely missed that on the site. Great snag and thank you for sharing your thoughts โค๏ธ

@QueenMarceline, thank you, There are just a few of us here ๐Ÿ˜ that have a couple of sheet masks waiting to be used. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I went on a sheet mask no buy a few years ago and made my way through most of my sheet masks during that time, getting them down to a good manageable (and reasonable) number and theyโ€™ve stayed that way for the most part but thereโ€™s always masks that are being added to the list of ones to try. ๐Ÿ“ 

@itsfi Haha, no kidding! ๐Ÿคฃ That's actually a great idea, I've been meaning to do a little bit of retail revision coming in 2024 and making my way through my sheet masks would be a great goal for the year ๐Ÿ™‚

I feel like we may have talked about this a while back (sorry for repeating), but how often do you generally reach for a sheet mask during the week @QueenMarceline?

I went through my sheet mask no buy during the Covid lockdown, with some months where I didnโ€™t buy any sheet masks and a couple of months sprinkled throughout the year where I picked up a handful of masks if there was a sale, or if there was a mask I loved. I was using a sheet mask every day, sometimes twice a day, at the time, so that helped to whittle down the collection. Good luck with your retail revision next year!

@itsfi It's very possible we discussed previously since I was away from the BIC for a while. I'd say it varies, I try my best to reach for one whenever I remember but at an absolute minimum probably once a week, optimally 3-4x a week. I keep a log of my cosmetic usage including sheet masks and there have been some months where I've only done 2-3 per month (oops) and then some months that it seems like there's a mask being used every other day. I admittedly, have a problem resisting a sheet mask and at some point also started buying my faves in 10 packs on subscribe/save through Amazon, so a lot have accumulated in the past based off of me simply not paying attention to my subscriptions.

I'm thinking the fact my sheet masks are far away from my other cosmetics within my home also plays a role why I sometimes skip/forget to use them even when I set out a plan to do so earlier that day. Thinking of putting a handful of sheet masks somewhere more accessible within sight to keep it on the forefront of my mind when I'm working on my routine. ๐Ÿ™‚ And unfortunately, a strict no buy is probably also needed ๐Ÿคฃ

21,372 Replies
testing