Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

โ€œPโ€ is for โ€œpinkโ€ and a โ€œpopularโ€ brand on these boards! Yay merbliss! 

I know this is a loved BIC brand, but the morning after I used it, I had white bumps all over my face. Almost like baby pimples. And my skin had SOOO much texture and larger non-pimple bumps. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

I have the aloe honey version that I really want to try, but Iโ€™m guessing there isnโ€™t much variation within a brand, so Iโ€™m scared to try it.

Do you guys think I should say no to merbliss and return all unused masks? Whatโ€™s your experience with trying different sheet masks from the same brand been like? (I have sensitive skin that has both dry and oily patches. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d be classified as acne prone. my skin lovessss Annieโ€™s way) 

4D91DE78-498B-4A90-883C-F69F44ABAB27.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Your baby pimples sound like what I call dream killers. I get them when I over hydrate (use a mask thats really moisturizing/hydrating) I only have tried the honey/aloe but waited until my skin was extra thirsty. Like after a day in the sun. I have oily skin & have the pink boxes too. I'll be saving those for probably the winter @pinyo 

@pinyo  Oh no, bumpiness is never good. I haven't tried this brand before, but I have noticed itchy bumps with some floral/citrus-type irritants. Hope your skin heals up soon.

Oh no @pinyo so sorry to hear this!! I've only tried one merbliss so I can't say much ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

You guys are the best! Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise!

You guys bring up some really compelling points I didnโ€™t realize, like the serum thickness. I havenโ€™t had bad reactions to tonymoly, Annieโ€™s way, spalife, nature republic, or look at me. I think all of those have a watery-er consistency, so maybe weโ€™ve found the culprit! Although, I've tried 4 different masks from the creme shop that i think could be considered watery, but I have to avoid the brand like the plague. Every time, I get red splotches and the white pimply dots all over!

Im assuming I donโ€™t have a reaction to extracts since Iโ€™ve used masks with multiple and had no issues. Like tea tree, grapefruit + pomegrante extracts, plants ( flowers + lavender, rose, aloe) kudzu, pennywort, clary, hyacinth, etc. Dont know if ive used a mask with peppermint before. (I guess my skin is a bit more robust than I gave it credit! I always thought my skin hated basically everything lol).

For my routine, I exfoliate 2x a week. Exfoliation days are usually 1-2 nights before a sheet mask, but never the same day. Before a sheet mask, I always wash my face and let it dry before applying. I keep it on for the max time instructed on the mask (usually 20 mins) and let the remaining essence absorb. I donโ€™t apply any extra.

@eshoe @WinglessOne @itsfi 

It is pretty incredible how much your skin can take, isnโ€™t it @pinyo!? Very interesting about the consistency of the serum, and that your skin may just be partial/respond more favorably to a thin, watery one. Although not all masks specifically state it, it would seem safe to conclude jelly and milky serums are a no-go;)

@pinyo so sorry this mask brought your skin some unfavorable texture! It sounds like this one is most definitely a match for you. Iโ€™m curious if you used a wash-off mask prior to it, and what your routine was like as well (exfoliating? Dermaplaning? Peel?). 

Iโ€™ve tried this mask and found it to be just ok. They make a gauze one that I love, love , love, but it has added fragrance and it is very noticeable.

365E0292-2FA7-4601-BA24-876FC5749FAB.jpeg

โ€ƒ

In addition, it has quite a few extracts that can cause irritation (tea tree, lavender, rosemary and peppermint). Like @WinglessOne mentioned, there really is no one line/brand that will have 100% fail-safe skincare. But the similarities within specific lines can make it easier to feel safe about trying new masks! If Annieโ€™s Way works for you, I would keep moving forward with it:)

@pinyo Hmm... that sounds similar to some of my skin's bad reactions to products. Do you know what ingredients, or types of ingredients, your skin's sensitive to? My combo skin is fairly sensitive and hates essential oils, among a few other ingredients. I think this particular Merbliss mask contains cananga odorata (ylang ylang) flower extract, so this is a mask I'll probably never use. But the other Merbliss mask you have (the aloe & honey one) would probably work for my skin: I've looked up those ingredients before and didn't see any major issues. 

If your skin likes Annie's Way masks, try comparing those masks' ingredients with both of these Merbliss masks's ingredients. You might be sensitive to something in the Hydra Ampoule mask, but not to anything in the aloe/honey mask. But if you feel safer returning all the Merbliss masks, definitely do that. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

There's no skincare brand whose entire line of products, or even just entire line of masks, I can safely use. It all depends on the ingredients in each mask, regardless of brand. Example: my face LOVES some JayJun masks, but several other JayJun masks I can't use because they contain bad-for-me stuff like lavender oil. I also avoid masks containing 2 or more citrus ingredients; this rules out some masks from brands I love. I'm very ingredient-driven about skincare, not brand-driven. 

@pinyo, Iโ€™m so sorry to hear this mask didnโ€™t work out for you. That particular version of the Merbliss mask is for intense moisture and probably best suited for very dry skin types. It might be that it wasnโ€™t compatible for your skin type. I know that there are some masks within a brand or even the same line that are not ideal for my skin type. The essence / serum in the aloe honey version will be lighter than this one but my recollection is that the mask is packed with the the essence / serum. Also, if Iโ€™m remembering correctly, the serum in the Merbliss aloe honey version is much more gel like and thicker than the essence in the Annieโ€™s Way sheet masks, which may be a factor in your skin reacting to the other Merbliss mask.

To your question, itโ€™s entirely possible that the aloe honey one will be better suited for your skin, but I think it is completely understandable if you passed on it entirely and returned the unused masks. If (and itโ€™s a big if) you decide to try the aloe honey one, I recommend you wring out some of the essence in the mask before applying it to your face, in case itโ€™s too much. 

K is for Kombucha

Kombucha.jpeg
I deviated a little from just using my pre-2020 purchased sheet masks and reached for The Creme Shop Watermelon & Kombucha Fusion Sheet Mask. I've found the masks in TCS fusion line to be consistently good for my skin and this particular mask's claims sounded like just what my skin needed.
Spoiler
Mask:The Crรจme Shop Watermelon & Kombucha Fusion Sheet Mask
Mask Material:Soft, thin-ish, cotton
Scent &  Essence:Thin, slightly viscous liquidy essence. It does not smell like kombucha at all; definitely a sweet, watermelon scent, but I wouldn't say watermelon jolly rancher. It's like a combination of a watermelon Starburst and a carbonated watermelon soda - if Fanta or Crush had a watermelon flavor in their lineup, I think it might smell a little like this, with a little added sweetness.
Claims & Star Ingredients:Watermelon - hydrates, tones, and regulates oil production                                                                    Kombucha - improves skin elasticity, anti-aging, detoxifies, hydrates, tones and brightens 
Fit &  Adherence:Adherence is good. Standard fit for TCS - smidge too short at forehead, an inch too long at chin,  the area between the eyes is extra wide and the bottom corners of the mough hole smoosh my lower lip.
Performance & Results:I experienced some very minor tingling along my right chin/jawline area, which makes sense as my skin is healing from a breakout to a product. My skin does look refreshed and brightened, and feels soft and hydrated.  Interestingly, my nose and chin areas look less oily and shiny, too.
My Two Cents:It's been a while since I've tried a new mask from The Crรจme Shop. I liked the results on this one. Seems like it has something to offer most skin types. It does contain willow bark extract (a source of salicin which can be chemically converted into salicylic acid (BHA)), and added fragrance (last ingredient) so those sensitive or allergic to either of those ingredients (or others in this mask) should steer clear. 
Would I Repurchase?:I'm being more and more picky selective (lol) with which sheet masks I would repurchase, but I can see myself picking up this particular mask again. The results are good all around and I think that's saying something at the moment, given that parts of my face are not in the best of conditions. 

@itsfi Great to hear you'd use this mask again. 

Itโ€™s a nice one @tjffc. The masks from the fusion line are some of the consistently better ones from The Creme Shop. The fit is off on them but the results are good. ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  I have yet to try any of these new ones, but I'm happy to hear I have something to look forward to! Love that the drink pairs perfectly with it! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ‰

@Shosh85, Iโ€™m usually down to try out a new mask and a new to me kombucha flavor so I was excited to give both a go for this masking. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I will say that I like the mask more than the actual watermelon kombucha, which wasnโ€™t bad, but just not my favorite. I fell off the wagon with sticking to my pre-2020 sheet mask purchases for this one, but back to it. ๐Ÿ˜† 

Happy to see you enjoyed this one @itsfi ๐Ÿ™Œ

@lmaster, itโ€™s a nice one. Another win for the fusion line for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Now Iโ€™m craving watermelon ๐Ÿ‰ soda, @itsfi, yum!

Thank you for the info about willow bark. It sounds like it would be a soothing ingredient, so learning that it can change into BHA is key to know. This one sounds like a very sensory-pleasing mask, though:)

This was a really nice mask, @eshoe. I like kombucha and watermelon so the pairing definitely captured my attention when it was released. It'll be interesting to see what masks I'll repurchase once my mask stash gets to the point where restocking becomes a "must" as opposed to restocking because my willpower was weak. lol. 

I find willow bark extract is a common BHA in Kbeauty skincare products and it's been popping up in other skincare products as well. The beauty of the internet is having the ability to read up on these skincare ingredients and be better informed about what is in products, for those interested in doing so. 

@itsfi  I love kombucha and funny enough, just got a watermelon kombucha yesterday. ๐Ÿ˜‹  since I've seen so many products w/kombucha, like Fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence 5 oz/ 150 mL , I've wondered about just putting the kombucha on my face lol...or at least that last bit that you don't want to drink, haha...any studies on that? ๐Ÿ™„

@treestar86, the Fresh kombucha essence is really nice! Iโ€™ve used a DS and a few foils of it and like it very much. 

Iโ€™ve seen willow bark in a few products, I believe in some of Origins skincare , @itsfi. This is a good reminder to do a little due diligence for key ingredients, though! It does appear to have anti-inflammatory properties, which is very good to know, too:)

21,367 Replies
testing