Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge

For the most part it's just plain ol' Rye and Ginger (Canada Dry Diet for me) @itsfi .  Nine times out of ten it's just regular Crown Royal, but I've been switching it up lately with their flavoured Rye.  They have a peach, apple, and a few others, I'm using the Northern Harvest tonight simply because it's open.  Apparently it won a bunch of awards.  I used to drink Rye and Diet Coke all the time, but this last year Ginger ale has been the winner.  I talk like I'm a big connoisseur lol. 

Canada Dry Diet is my preferred ginger ale as well @missjeanie! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ You ARE a big connoisseur! โ™ฅ๏ธ

This is the last of my masking from Y / B week. Masks, lip balm, tea and a book seem to make for some good self-care. Y is for Yumei, B is for Belif and blue, the color that ties this Self Care Sunday set together and one I find to be calming. It made for some nice down time in the afternoon and evening.
Yumei.jpg
Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Sephora Collection Spirulina Mask Stick is a quickie 5-minute blue-hued clay mask with scrubby particles for a bit of exfoliation. I don't typically apply this all over my face, but tend to concentrate it on the areas where I'm prone oiliness, usually my T-zone. As this is a clay mask, I tend to be more mindful of not going over the recommended 5 minutes with this one. Complexion looks clean and clear and skin feels soft and smooth. I'd repurchase if it weren't being phased out, but I do hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, a clean version of this mask stick (and of others from the original line) will be forthcoming (and even better if the key ingredient were among the top ingredients listed). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
While the Yumei Water Glow Skin Renewal Facial Mask is a thinner leaning cotton sheet mask, it does have a little heft to it, which allows it to hold as much of the slightly viscous watery essence as it does without it dripping everywhere. This has such a unique, pretty and pleasant scent to it. To me, it smells like candy and fruit, but not like an artificial fruit candy smell. It has a nice scent to it and one that I think would be beautiful in a candle or diffuser. Or lotion. Bath gel. Hair mist. ...

The fit on this one was not the best, but can be made to work with some adjustments, which I did to the corners of the eyes and mouth and the length at the chin/jawline. The strip above the lip is too long for me but makes me think it will be good for a variety of face shapes. Adherence is nice. Results were good - I used this mask last night and my complexion this morning looks and feels nicely hydrated, plump, and brighter. The results and the ingredients list on this one make me think it's a mask that could reap some good skincare benefits if used regularly. I might just have to put that to the test. For science, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you @heartsmyface  for sharing this one with me. This was a wonderful mask! ๐Ÿ’™ 

Sleeping Masks:

Spoiler
Laneige Eye Sleeping Mask is one of my DS I'm trying to finish up and my under-eye area could use some T.L.C. The full size of this eye sleeping mask has a ceramic ball tip on the end of the applicator that can be used to massage the eye are, which I can see being helpful for depuffing the under-eye area. While this DS version doesn't have that feature, the eye mask itself does provide some overnight hydration to the under eyes, which in this colder weather is well appreciated. 

Belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask is one of my favorite overnight masks. It has a jelly like consistency that feels cooling when applied and leaves my skin looking hydrated, bouncy and with a fresh-faced glow the next morning. 

Lip Care:

Spoiler
Bioderma Atoderm Ultra Moisturizing Lip Stick is one of my favorite lip balms. I have a lot of lip balms I like / love, but this one is definitely among the top - it leaves my lips feeling soft, smooth and lightly moisturized; lovely for use any time but I really like it as part of my morning skincare routine. Thank you @missjeanie for gifting this to me; it's a keeper! ๐Ÿ˜ 

P.S. The tea was great for making me all warm inside which then made it a bit more challenging to stay awake. Book seems good so far, but I only made it to page 5 before the warmth from the tea lulled me into a mid-afternoon nap, which was excellent. ๐Ÿ˜Š

LANEIGE Eye Sleeping Mask 

belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask 2.53 oz/ 75 mL 

@itsfi  This definitely looks like the most perfect pamper session! ๐Ÿ˜
 I hope the mask sticks come back too! I really wanted to this and the black one! 

The sheet mask sounds lovely! So happy you saw some great results!  @heartsmyface truly has a knack for finding the best masks! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thank you @Shosh85! ๐Ÿค— It made for such a pleasant break; some much needed and appreciated down time! ๐Ÿ’–  

Completely agree! @heartsmyface sources such amazing sheet masks! Well, all things really. ๐Ÿ˜ 

I might be the lone soul that loves the Kleenex, @itsfi๐Ÿ’“ That box made me sigh and say yes, I could be there, too๐Ÿ˜Œ

@eshoe, everyone has their favorites. Kleenex, I'm sure, appreciates the shout out. ๐Ÿ˜†

@itsfi I think itโ€™s one of those things you donโ€™t truly appreciate until youโ€™re a grown up! It was just always there at ๐Ÿก๐Ÿ’—

@itsfi so many wonderful gifted products that are loves!! 

Lots of goodies all around @lmaster! I really enjoyed the sheet mask and lip balms. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Both are keepers.

Your tea mug is gorgeous @itsfi !!  You must tell us where you got it? I've been getting so much more into teas the last few years.

Gorgeous afternoon self care time!

@missjeanie, would you believe I found the tea bottle at TJ Maxx?!! Not any of the ones near me though. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Earlier in the year, before the stay at home, I was at a work meeting about an hour and a halfโ€™s drive (on a good day without traffic) from my house and one of my colleagues and I went to grab a late lunch afterwards and my, my, my ... what should be in the same plaza??!! TJ Maxx!! So yes, of course, even though it wasnโ€™t super close to the restaurant, I parked my car closer to TJM. ๐Ÿคฃ My coworker asked why I parked so far away (he found parking (ample of it) right around the corner from the restaurant). He bought my โ€œitโ€™ll be nice to walk and get in some exercise before my drive back.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‡ 

Hahaha @itsfi of course you'd want to stretch your legs before driving back home!  TJM for the win! 

@missjeanie, forgot to add that you can find something similar on Amazon. Just search for โ€œtea infuser water bottleโ€. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

A is for Apple ๐ŸŽ 

1284E122-20B9-48C2-9660-7260DE4B8BF3.jpeg

Spoiler

Missha Talks Vegan Squeeze Sheet Mask ~ 82% Apple Pineapple Skin Smoother

Material:

It didn't specify on the packaging, but to me it looked and felt like tencel.

Serum:

Gel, with a consistency somewhere between thin and thick. There was a lot extra.

Scent:

A light scent that did smell like a mix of apple and pineapple. ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ

Fit:

It fit great - just a little too long at the chin/jawline

Wear Time:

35 minutes. Probably could've gone longer, but I wanted to eat ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Tack:

Very light, lasted about 5 minutes

Results:

Moisturized, super soft and smooth, glowing skin.

I did feel a very light, almost unnoticeable tingle while the mask was on, but my skin showed no signs of irritation after the mask was removed.

Repurchase?

Yes, absolutely! Though, I am a little apprehensive to reorder, or even use the others I have, without knowing what's in them. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป

* If anyone is curious about the ingredients.... so am I. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘‡

Spoiler

I bought this line of masks just recently and have now realized there isn't ingredients listed on them at all, not even in Korean (I had the back translated.) I emailed Missha, but there was no luck there. This was their response:

DB17262B-5DC7-49B7-8B89-7512C16F5CC2.jpeg

I wrote back again (because, you know, I'm persistent ๐Ÿ˜†) and asked, "ok, well if Missha US can't tell me the ingredients on this line of Missha masks, that I bought in the US, can you please tell me who can?" lol. We'll see what they respond with ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป

The only hints at the ingredients I have for this mask is that it has "82% Korea Cheongsong apple extract and Philippines pineapple extract" and when I Google translated the back, it listed citric, salicylic and glycolic acids - which might explain the slight tingling I felt. ๐Ÿค” but who knows ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป

@eshoe @quspork @itsfi ETA update: So after emailing back and forth a couple times they still insisted they had no way to help me.  I finally asked if I could be put through to a supervisor. While I was waiting I looked on the Missha Korea website and found all the ingredient lists there. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It took me a minute to figure how convert it to English on my phone though ๐Ÿ˜† I am just so baffled as to why Missha Us couldn't tell me this?

After I found the ingredients, I got an email from a supervisor telling me they are "working on it" ๐Ÿคฃ

From the Missha Korea site ๐Ÿ‘‡

apple extract, zebra pineapple extract, dipropylene glycol, butylene glycol, glycerin , 1,2-hexanediol, purified water, gluconolactone, salicylic acid, citric acid, glycolic acid, squalane, hydroxyacetophenone, allantoin, cetearylolibate, caprylyl glycol, acrylic Rate/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, sorbitanolivate, tromethamine, sodium hyaluronate, yellow lotus root extract, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, ethylhexyl glycerin, sodium phytate, fragrance

@Shosh85 yaaaaaaay for getting the ingredients!!! And it sounds lovely

@lmaster  It really is a nice one! I'm even more excited to try the others now that I know what's in them! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

โ€˜Zebra pineapple extractโ€™ @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿค” Sounds perfect for this week! Wow you really are persistent, good to know about the ingredients but sounds like quite a hassle. 

I also looked up Hydroxyacetophenone and Wikipedia informed me that it 
is a โ€œcomponent of castoreum, the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature beaver.โ€๐Ÿ˜ถ

Thankfully I landed on Paulaโ€™s Choice and INCIDecoder and found much more pleasant descriptions of a synthetic compound that โ€œworks as a preservative booster, as well as an antioxidant and soothing agent.โ€ Sounds much better!

@eshoe  yeah, their customer service wasn't very helpful. I was happy to finally find the ingredients, but it really shouldn't be that hard!

You can get yourself in trouble on Wikipedia! Haha! I've seen that ingredient listed in several masks, but never heard that definition for it! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, @Shosh85, which is why I continued my research path๐Ÿ˜†

Huh. That's kinda funny about the ingredients, but at the same time what if someone had a bad reaction to the mask because of an ingredient? It's so odd that they can't or haven't been able to find the list and share it, @Shosh85.

21,373 Replies
testing