Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@heartsmyface know that feeling too well 

@heartsmyface, you look like a fabulous cartoon villian! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Itโ€™s too bad the eye masks didnโ€™t smell like fresh lemons! ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ‹ But at least it didnโ€™t smell like lemon a la cleaning products. ๐Ÿงฝ 

@itsfi  In retrospect i donโ€™t know about having lemon juice or extract near my eyeballs but the heart wants want it wants when it wants it. 

I hear that @heartsmyface! ๐Ÿ˜† 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Foot Mask in Coconut + Lavender in cactus. I didn't think it would really work. It's anti-fatigue. But after 10 minutes my feet didn't hurt as much or ache like it normally does. However my feet were extremely dried out this morning.

Cactus Mask.jpg

@Samtian  Well at least something good came out of it! Feet that are a little less achey is always nice! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 That is the truth!

Hmmm @Samtian a drying cactus foot mask  doesnโ€™t exactly sound like the best remedy for dry feet๐Ÿ˜• Funny how wearing socks to bed can be so polarizing. I donโ€™t mind it, but my daughter hates even the sound of socks against the sheets!

@eshoe It was while I had them on haha. 

@Samtian Noooo!  A mask that dries your feet out?   Thatโ€™s a new one.  If theyโ€™re uncomfortably dry put some face oil on them and throw some socks over overnight.  It should help:) 

@heartsmyface Thanks! I can't sleep with socks on though haha. 

@Samtian wow that is a huge bummer your feet were dry ๐Ÿ˜ณ

@lmaster Thank you! Just means I need to do a moisturizing one when I wake up haha.

@Samtian, yaaay for less achy feet ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿป, but big Boo! for dryness! Itโ€™s too bad this one gave you such mixed results! ๐Ÿ˜” 

@itsfi Thanks! It's still a winner for me though.

I second @itsfi @Samtian , awesome for some relief... but bummer that they were so drying. 

Last night's masking with two well loved masks from women founded brands.

K - women founded - avocado.jpg

For the first day of the women founded / owned week challenge, I went with an avocaDO ๐Ÿฅ‘ theme - one is a relatively new mask (or new to me), the other has been discontinued and reformulated to include retinol. Both are women founded and owned brands and both are BIPOC beauty brands.

Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Sleeping Mask:

Spoiler
This version of the avocado sleeping mask has been discontinued. The reformulated version  (which I've tagged below) includes retinol. Since my skin doesn't tolerate retinol well, I picked up a few back ups of the original when it was still around.  This is my last jar of the original version. I don't reach for it very often; both to make it last longer but also because the original contains PHA. and I need to be mindful of how often I use products with AHA/BHA/PHA in my routine to avoid over exfoliation. 

The Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Sleeping Mask is a thick leaning, pale green hued, fresh, floral and herb scented, rich cream that, thanks to its whipped texture, spreads smoothly and absorbs easily, and leaves my skin looking and feeling soft, smooth, hydrated and plump overnight. It contains four different forms of avocado - avocado fruit, avocado extract, avocado oil and avocado butter - as well as extracts of licorice root (brightening) and skullcap (soothing), manuka honey (hydrator), kaolin clay (clarifying) and PHA (exfoliator). A little of this goes a long way and, because of the thicker consistency of this one, it does take some time to fully absorb, but by morning, my skin feels soft, smoothed and moisturized, with a fresh, healthy glow.

About the founders and owners:
Spoiler
Christine Chang and Sarah Lee created Glow Recipe in 2014, starting out as a business that curated Korean beauty products through its own site as well as in partnership with Sephora. I learned a lot about Korean beauty products and the philosophy behind them from Glow Recipe and I discovered many brands that remain favorites to this day. Since starting as a KBeauty retailer, they've developed their own skincare line in 2017, which includes a host of wonderful products that many on BIC, including myself, love; and in 2019, they launched another brand, Sweet Chef, which can be found at Target. 

Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask:  

Spoiler
It took me a while to try out Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask, in large part because I love the brand's original Don't Despair, Repair! hair mask and the limited edition honey version of that mask. But, I'm glad I finally did get around to using this thick, sweet and fruity scented, ultra rich and creamy hair mask with a gloriously green color. I first tried a foil sample and haved moved on to keeping a couple of deluxe samples on hand. I'm sure I will eventually get around to picking up a full size as this mask moisturizes very well without making my hair look or feel weighed down - for someone with fine hair, but a lot of it, this is a good thing; a very good thing. This is one I reach for to quench dry, parched hair. Ten minutes with this mask leaves my hair looking soft, silky smooth and happily hydrated.

About the Founder and Owner:
Spoiler
Nancy Twine launched Briogeo in 2013 while working in finance. The name "Briogeo" is a blend of two words, the Italian "brio" meaning "vibrant, colorful and full of life" and "geo" meaning "earth or nature".  The brand emphasizes hair care for all hair textures and has since branched out into the wellness arena with  B.Well. My first introduction to Briogeo was the popular Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask, an amazing hair mask and the inspiration behind my all time favorite Briogeo product, the LE Don't Despair Repair Honey Conditioning Mask - same fabulous results with the LE honey version, but with a decadently delicious honey scent and packaged in an oh-so-adorable bear shaped bottle. The Briogeo bear hair mask made its way back onto shelves during the holidays and until it's a permanent part of the collection, I'll stock up whenever it comes out of hibernation. 

Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Sleeping Face Mask 2.3 oz/ 70 mL 

Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kindโ„ข Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask 8.0 oz/ 240 mL 

@itsfi  Great masks! Both are loves for me too! I am half way through my second (and last) jar of it and I'm trying to make it last!

Thanks so much for the additional info on the owners/founders! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, it'll be so sad when the GR avocado melt is used up. ๐Ÿ™  

I like reading about the founders / owners and their brands and thought to share it with folks. Lots of interesting facts about these fabulous women founders. 

Unfortunately my skin was burning after the GR Avocado Melt Sleeping Mask @itsfi . I guess that I will need to try it again once the weather gets warmer. Once I finish my stash of the Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!โ„ข Deep Conditioning Hair Mask , I will repurchase the Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kindโ„ข Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask 8.0 oz/ 240 mL .

Oh no, Iโ€™m sorry to hear that @Loretta55. If itโ€™s the older version of the avocado melt, it might be the PHA in it. PHAs are more gentle exfoliants but Iโ€™ve found that my skin, specially my forehead, can be a little sensitive to them. If itโ€™s the newer version, I would guess it might be the retinol, but everyoneโ€™s skin responds differently.

Love that Briogeo hair mask; all the hair masks from the brand have been good. If thereโ€™s something youโ€™re planning on picking up at Sephora, ๐Ÿ›  thereโ€™s a promo code for a DS of the Briogeo avocado hair mask ($25 buy in, promo code: BRIOGEOMASK). If youโ€™re on a โ€œno buyโ€, we never had this conversation! ๐Ÿ˜‰

90C6C855-2F15-482A-B7F6-4C936F4362C0.png

โ€ƒ

21,373 Replies
testing