Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

PSA: Alpyn Beauty is giving away free samples of the Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel Mask 1.7 oz / 50 mL and Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL on their website. US only. 

Spoiler
Main site, then after dot com: /pages/sdfghjk3456789

@eshoe Ooh thank you! I've been wanting to try their stuff.

The very last of my J for J-Beauty masks from the prior week.

J - J Beauty (Ohana Mahaaalo).png

All three of these Ohana Mahaalo sheet masks claim to brighten and hydrate the skin. The key hydrating ingredients for each mask are the same, namely, aloe and hyaluronic acid. What differentiates these masks is the particular brightening agent in each mask, along with one or two other ingredients and the blend of scents making up the fragrance in each mask.

The Similarities:

Spoiler
Material: Leans slightly thinner than your standard medium thick sheet mask.

Essence: clear, thin, fragranced liquid essence

Fit: generally good
Width: good, no need to make any adjustments
Length: similar to most sheet masks in that it is too long at the chin / jawline for my face size and shape
Size, Shape and Location of Openings & Slits: corners or lips and mouth to help material lay better against skin and to keep essence from leaking into eyes or mouth

Adherence: Good

Claim(s): brightening and hydrating

Performance & Results: For the most part, all three of these masks performed similarly. Each wore comfortably for the 30 minutes I had them on. The scent in each mask dissipates before the entire mask is applied to the face. Results-wise, there's a fresh faced, brightened glow to the skin and it feels lightly hydrated. I didn't find that one mask provided better results than the other, but the mermaid printed mask stood out in that I experienced more tingling with that one than I did the others. Looking more carefully at the inci list, I suspect it might be due to the ruby powder or the bladderwrack which is a form of brown algae. 

My Two Cents I wouldn't mind using any of these masks again, but I'm not sure I would be inclined to repurchase any of them. I might repurchase the other masks / scents in this sheet mask line, just to try them all out. And, to determine which scent I like best. The brand's collection also includes fragrances, hair care and bath and body products in each of these scents and I could see myself picking up a few other items from that scent collection ... because I *need* more hand creams, fragrances and body scrubs. lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚

The Differences:

Spoiler

Mask

Ohana Mahaalo Pikake Aulii (petal print)Ohana Mahaalo Akua Koa Nani (mermaid print)Ohana Mahaalo Halia Nohea (unicorn print)
Key Brightening Ingredients:

Rose extractBladderwrack (a type of seaweed)Arbutin

Other Notable Ingredient
Co-Q10 (listed as ubiquinone)Ruby powderHorse oil
Scent Blend:Pikake, Fruit blend, VanillaJasmine, Orange, Clary SageFloral, Fruit blend, Amber

Overall Thoughts: If I were to rank these three masks, based on their scent and performance, my first choice overall would be the sheet mask with the unicorn print packaging, followed by the one with the petal print, and then the one with the mermaid print packaging. If I were to base it on the scent alone, I would go with the mask with the mermaid print, but I experienced more noticeable tingling with that one, which made for a slightly less enjoyable experience.

I enjoyed all the candles I paired with each of these maskings. The fragrance on each of these were fabulous and I would repurchase all three. Hard to pick a favorite, but if pressed to do so, I'd probably go for the Overose Nudesse Holo Candle 8.4 oz/ 240 g - the combination of a fresh, almost watery, aquatic scent and the sweet and floral scent of roses creates such a soft and beautiful fragrance. 

The packaging is so beautiful @itsfi sorry they weren't super impressive for them to be permanent

@lmaster. the packaging is really pretty. ๐Ÿ˜ Before, I would have kept repurchasing but I don't need to build up the sheet mask stash after all the effort put in over the last 15+ months to whittle it down. These masks won't be a repurchase but I will definitely take a look at some of the other beauty products the brand offers. 

@itsfi  Bladderwrack? That's one I've never heard of before! So interesting all the similarities they share. Glad they all turned out decent for you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, I know, right? Try saying it 10 times fast! ๐Ÿ˜† It sounds like a word that belongs at the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

Judge: Spell bladderwrack.

Contestant: Bladderwrack.

Contestant: Can I get the word in a sentence?

Judge: "itsfi noticed some tingling from a mask containing bladderwrack."

Contestant: Ahhh, I see. Thank you. Bladderwrack. B - L - A - D - ...

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi  Haha! Oh my gosh too funny! I don't know why, but for some reason it reminds me of the word "Jabberwocky"..... like it would fit in well with Alice in Wonderland .... Jabberwockies and Bladderwracks ๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes @Shosh85! Bladderwracks can be in a remake of Alice in Wonderland, like the relatives visiting with the Jabberwockies for a tea party; or a remake of The Princess Bride - bladderwracks and ROUSes sound like they might run in the same circles. Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi  Haha! Oh my goodness, yes!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜†

K is for Kale ๐Ÿฅฌ 

911F87AC-C3F9-4EF4-BD6F-FD6839AC3779.jpeg

Spoiler

Sweet Chef Kale & Vitamin B Fresh Pressed Sheet Mask

This is a medium thickness cotton sheet mask, that is white with a couple cute little pictures on it - one cheek had a picture of kale and green sunglasses and the other cheek had text that said, "don't kale my vibe."
It is soaked in a creamy milky serum, that had a sort of herbal/earthy kind of scent - not my favorite, but it was light enough it didn't bother me. Everything about the fit was off โ€“ too long at the chin and forehead, too short width-wise, the eye holes were a tad too small, the nose flap was a bit too long, and the mouth hole was positioned too far down and didn't line up with my mouth. I had to scrunch up the mask a bit to make the mouth hole line up right. The fit of it wasn't fun, but the milky serum did feel soothing on my skin. I managed to keep the mask on for about 40 minutes โ€“ I could've kept it on longer, because of how saturated it was, but I wanted to eat.
๐Ÿ˜‰When I removed it, my face was covered with serum, but felt very refreshed. I dabbed the serum into my skin and it wasn't sticky or tacky at all. It didn't take long for it all to absorb, and when it did my face felt silky smooth, moisturized and had a really nice glow.

This one gave excellent results, so I'd use again because of that, (this is actually my second one) but because of the bad fit and strange scent, I'm not so sure I'd repurchase.

DAB72DBF-1634-490A-A316-A18CEA16101C.jpeg

For the fit to be bad enough for you to comment on it, @Shosh85...thatโ€™s saying a lot๐Ÿ˜‚ But I know exactly what you mean. I tried all three and share your sentiments. The serum, though! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

@eshoe  Yeah, the fit of a mask never usually effects my decision whether or not to repurchase, but this was an exception!

I have tried all 3 as well, but totally forgot how bad the fit was! I'd definitely love to give the bottled serums a try! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Iโ€™m pretty sure Iโ€™ve seen a couple of hauls with all of the Sweet Chef serums, @Shosh85. Maybe @SportyGirly125 ๐Ÿค” 

@eshoe @Shosh85 I have tried almost the entire line except the vitamin a serum, the vitamin a and vitamin c mask, new toner and retinol mask and ginger spray. I do love the Vitamin C/ginger serum and kale serum and the beauty oil and kale mask. I have gifted the serum set to @lmaster @quspork and @snoflakefaerie so maybe they have more feedback on them. 

@eshoe @Shosh85 @SportyGirly125 I love the serums that came in the set!!

@lmaster  Good to know! I really liked the serum in the Kale and Ginger masks, so I'm hoping I'll like the bottled serums just as much!

@SportyGirly125 

The results from this mask sound good @Shosh85, but the fit! Thatโ€™s so bizarre how it was sooooo off! Sweet Chef has a line of serums, including a kale one. I wonder if the ingredients in the serum are the same as in the mask. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi  The fit was so bad, like worse than a Creme Shop mask ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have been meaning to pick up those serums, just haven't got around to it yet. If the bottled serum is anything like the serum in the mask, I know I'll love it. I'll have to remember them the next time I go to Target ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰

That really put it in perspective @Shosh85. The fit on some of those masks from The Creme Shop can be really off. ๐Ÿ˜† Keeping my fingers crossed ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ that the actual serums are whatโ€™s in the sheet masks! Ooooh, Target trip?!!! Fun! ๐Ÿคฉ 

The last of my artistic sheet masks from the previous week. Ever since @Kim888 introduced this theme for masking, I've been more mindful of seeking out masks that are artistic in all forms - whether it's a pretty mask, a cute animated one or having an expressive illustration on the packaging or the mask itself. When the time comes for me to pick up more sheet masks, I'll be making room in my sheet mask library for artistic sheet masks. 

J - artistic (nohj).jpg

The no:hj Aloe Mud Mask is one of, if not the, prettiest mask in my collection. The aesthetic of pretty much all no:hj masks, from the look and feel of the satchets  to the pattern and design on the mask itself are very luxe. They are, as my niece would put it, "ooh la la fancy"! But how well do ooh la la fancy sheet masks perform?

tl;dr: The beauty of the no:hj Aloe Mud Mask isn't restricted to its packaging or the gorgeous gold floral flourishes illustrated on the mask itself. This one makes a lovely treat for anyone looking for soft, plump,  less red skin with a happy, healthy, hydrated radiance.

Spoiler
Material: Very thin, soft, cotton fiber mask soaked in essence. The mask feels silky, soft and smooth on the skin. 

Essence: Clear, watery but not runny. Off the top of my head, I couldn't pinpoint the scent though there was a familiarity to the blend, but thinking about it being mud and aloe mask, I think the scent does have a fresh aloe and subtle clay-like scent to it.

Adherence: Excellent; it felt super comfortable and light the entire time I had on the mask (e.g., 35 minutes).

Fit: Overall, one of the better fitting sheet masks I've used.
Width: Just a smidge wide at the temples
Length: Pretty good at the forehead; about an inch too long at the chin.
Shape, Size and Placement of Openings / Slits for Eyes, Nose and Mouth: Pretty good as well; I made some very minor incisions at the corners of the eyes and mouth as they were slightly too narrow for my facial features. 

Notable or Key Ingredient(s๐Ÿ˜ž Aloe (4th ingredient listed) and Dead Sea Mud (8th ingredient listed). Also includes hydrators such as glycerin, sodium hyaluronate and extracts of green tea and bamboo leaf; and brighteners in the form of lemon and licorice extracts. 

Claim(s): Clarifies, hydrates and soothes.

Performance and Results: This mask took me by surprise, in the best way. I typically prefer my mud masks as rinse off masks. I find mud masks to be less messy and more effective that way. This no:hj mask has made me a believer in mud/clay sheet masks; a hard feat to accomplish. It lived up to its claims - my skin looked more clear, supple, and brighter too. It also felt soft, smooth and very nicely hydrated. In addition, some redness from a couple of spots and the darkness in some PIH spots appeared to be reduced, albeit temporarily, after using the mask. 

My Two Cents: Looks good, performs well. What more can I ask? This will be a repurchase.

Ooh la la fancy!Ooh la la fancy!

Ingredients:
from facetory (dot) com:
Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Maris Limus Extract, Green Tea Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Tomato Extract, Bamboo Leaf Extract, Licorice Extract, Witch Hazel Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Ethanol, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

21,372 Replies
testing