Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2023 Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  The Banana mask is definitely a favorite! I'm not really a big fan of peel-offs - I mean they're fine and I'd use them if I had them, but I think they're just kind of annoying ๐Ÿ˜… This one sounds ok though! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I still have the Apple Cider Vinegar and Probiotics ones to try..... have you tried either of those?

@Shosh85, Iโ€™m so with you on peel offs. Fine but not something I would race to pick up. Ooh, thanks for the reminder. I have the apple cider mask somewhere (Iโ€™ve packed up a lot of my stuff but the ACV one isnโ€™t with the other masks ๐Ÿค”). I know I have that one. I forgot they had a probiotics mask; I looked it up after seeing your post. That one is on my list to try because it sounds like something my skin would love. Making a note to pick it up when Iโ€™m in Ulta. Definitely keep me posted on your thoughts on the ACV and the probiotics mask. 

@itsfi  Oooo goopy and glittery. Sounds like this one could have been better. Iโ€™m not opposed to peel off but I donโ€™t get what it does other then itโ€™s fun to try and get it off in once piece. 

Yeah @ather, I think itโ€™s more of a โ€œfunโ€ factor; at least for me. I know for others it is something that works well or that they enjoy. I think my skin just prefers other types of mask. So I listen to my skin. It does mean one less mask type that I can be distracted or tempted by! Hahaha! My wallet gets a break every once in a while. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi It's just so wierd when masks don't smell like you think they should, given the name and packaging but it probably had strawberry in the ingredients ๐Ÿง๐Ÿ˜‹

I like the idea of peel off masks but I the ones I've tried are just sooo messy

Right @CynthieLu?!! Especially the ones with added fragrance, like this one. ๐Ÿ˜† I know smell can vary so thatโ€™s got to be considered but I didnโ€™t get anything remotely close to strawberries, or even a fruit scent. It makes me wonder how it passes QC? Or maybe the quality control element for scent is just that it doesnโ€™t smell bad? ๐Ÿค” 

They can definitely be messy! Which peel off masks have you tried? Do you apply with your fingers, a brush or a spatula?

[Tagging @Mellmars1185, in case one of your peel offs may be of interest to her if / when she tries a peel off mask.]

I have a big tube of Elisabeth Ardens Prevage Peel Off Mask and it's so similar to me, to a St. Ives one that I'd used years ago from the drug store, they just don't appeal to me. I don't enjoy them, I'm a mud or sheet mask kind of person lol

I don't like tugging at my skin, and maybe it's because my skin is sensitive, it hurts a bit. 

@iitsfi I'm just lucky the E.A one was a gift with purchase, because if I'd spent the money on it I would be bummed about it at the end of the day

I hear ya @CynthieLu! I prefer a mud/clay wash off or sheet mask. I will use a peel off if I have one around the house but donโ€™t generally seek them out. I *might* try the honey version just because itโ€™s honey; other than that, Iโ€™ll likely give away or toss other peel off masks I find in my stash (Iโ€™ve done a fairly good job of whittling down my stash and donโ€™t think I have anymore). 

@itsfi too bad that it didn't actually smell like strawberry!

@CookieGirl1, a bit of a bummer but not a deal breaker. I liked that the glitter didnโ€™t transfer or get all over me.

@itsfi Great feedback! I have not tried a peel off mask.. The glitter is fun! Too bad it does not smell like strawberries!

@Mellmars1185, boscia makes a good peel off mask. It is black in color. I prefer the peel masks that are tinted because I can see where it is applied and will dry down. Also, if it starts running, I can see it and catch it before it gets into areas I want to avoid. Sephora US does not carry the brand anymore; not sure if itโ€™s available at Sephora Canada. I see the brand and this mask quite often in TJ Maxx / Marshallโ€™s. (Image from boscia website)

A3BE3164-2FC9-4326-B3BF-69C50A715AF2.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Another one that is tinted is from Waso Shiseido - itโ€™s a pink foil shade, fun! Sephora US carries the brand but not the product. Not sure if Sephora CAN does. (photo from Shiseido online)

09DF6F89-C462-4094-AF41-DB166BBCA995.jpeg

Also, the brand Freeman has different โ€œflavorsโ€ of peel off masks. From what Iโ€™ve tried or seen on the thread, those are all clear. 

There are folks on this thread that like peel off mask better than me so you may get more recs. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ 

@itsfi Thank you for the information! I checked my app for Sephora and did not see these items. I will keep them in mind if I buy direct. I like the idea of a colour peel off mask also. 

Targeted skin concerns

IMG_20230221_195244202.jpg

This was a mask that said it bubbles up.

My experience with bubble masks, you are supposed to wash it off after use, however this one didn't say to wash off .. but I did anyway. ๐Ÿคท 

Has anyone used this mask before? 

Did you not wash it off?

It was a black sheet with a protective film that needed peeled off 

I can't recall the scent, the fit was decent 

Wear time was 15 minutes, it did bubble up but not quite as vicious as any other bubble masks 

So then I washed it off lol my skin did feel more clarified and smoother, so it wasn't a total fail if I wasn't supposed to ๐Ÿ˜‚

@lmaster, nice results and I think you did the right thing with washing off the essence. When I think of all the bubbling mask that I've come across, I've never heard of one (other than this one) where you leave the essence on. Based on the comments of the maskers here, it sure does seem that 9 in 10 maskers agree that the serum should be washed off. ๐Ÿคฃ

@itsfi it didn't seem right ๐Ÿ˜‚ if bubble is in the name and it actually bubbles,,, I'm washing it off 

@lmaster  Ohhh interesting.  Yeah most bubble masks do require rinsing so I think you did the right thing.  I definitely would have.  Wouldnโ€™t it leave a film otherwise?  . They usually contain baking soda and citric acid and oxidize on air contact.  The bubbles are supposed to gently cleanse and exfoliate dead skin cells so washing them off seems appropriate. 

@heartsmyface yes! I just couldn't leave it on my face, without consulting the lovely experts on this thread ๐Ÿ˜‰

@lmaster  Hmmm, I've never used this one, but I agree, all the bubble masks I've ever tried advise you to rinse off after. Maybe this one's different since there wasn't really any bubbles? I was reading some reviews on it and it does seem like most people complained that there wasn't any bubbles. Someone else said they tried it twice - the first time they just patted it in and did not rinse, like the directions stated, and they got acne. The second time they rinsed it off instead and got better results. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

@Shosh85 mine did bubble, just not aggressively like others I've used, well now I feel better about rinsing it off ๐Ÿ˜

@lmaster  I didnโ€™t know Dr. Jart did a bubble mask! I am with you I feel the need to wash the bubbles off. Especially if it gets super bubbly!! 

21,372 Replies
testing