Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@quspork it's about time more masks use the flexible material, I love ones that conform so perfectly

My blind pick masks from last week.

I love this challenge theme from @veronika23 - it gives me an opportunity to be creative in how I "blind pick" my mask(s). This time I decided to place the names of several brands into a hat and the brand I pulled out would be the focus of my blind pick masks for the week. Skinfood won the distinction of being the selected brand and I chose to use a mask with each of the 3 different types of serums from the brand's sous vide collection. This also allowed me to check the box last week for the letter of the week as well, as this line of masks is based on the French inspired sous vide style of cooking. I wore each mask for 30 minutes in the morning, and followed up with the same skincare routine after each mask. ๐Ÿ˜
F - blind picks - Skinfood.jpg

tl;dr: No bad mask in this bunch; it'll boil down to your skin type, needs, or the type of serum you prefer in a sheet mask.

Comparison:
Spoiler
Mask:Broccoli Spinach Asparagus
Material:Cellulose - soft, thinCelluloseLyocell - soft, thin but with a noticeable but not thick heft to it
Adherence:GoodGoodGood
Fit: Extra wide - 1-1/2"; length good; minor incisions to mouth and eye openingsExtra wide - 1-1/2"; length good; minor incisions to mouth and eye openingsGood - 1/2" too wide (at temples) and long (at chin); minor incisions to mouth and eye openings
Serum:Toner - light, watery liquid; mask is saturated (but not dripping) in it Essence - clear, gel-like; feels like a cross between a serum and a thin ampouleEmulsion - milky-watery liquid
Scent: Clean, fresh; nothing that resembled broccoliLeafy, minty scentLeans slightly tropical in scent, almost coconutty -  odd for an asparagus mask
Claim(s):Moisturizing and refreshingMoisturizing and vitalityMoisturizing and nourishing
Results:Feels cooling and refreshing against the skin. Skin is hydrated but it feels like there's a film even after skin has fully absorbed the serum.Skin is moisturized without feeling heavy. Tackiness remains after a few hours. Skin felt soft, smooth, soothed, and nourished; I briefly considered skipping my moisturizer.
Best suited for:All skin types, even those with very oily skinMost skin types year-round; those with oily skin may like this one more in the colder monthsDry or dehydrated skin year-round; all others (except for very oily skin) in winter or cold weather
Repurchase?:Probably. Would happily use.Yes, though not a must have.Oh yeaaah! My skin loves milky serum based sheet masks and this was no exception. 

@itsfi  

My husband was intrigued by the sous vide component of the mask - he loves his gadgets and really got into cooking when the whole 'molecular gastronomy' trend took off. He's not so sure about the vegetables - I think it's in general more than the particular masks. LOL. 

@missy94612, I laughed at your husband not being sure about the actual veggies. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Other than the illustration and ingredients list, thereโ€™s nothing to the masks or their serums that would make you think that veggies were part of the composition. He may never know if you can keep him from seeing the front of the packet. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi 

He's not completely adverse to veggies, but those 3 that were the main ingredients in your sheet mask post were not his favorites. Ha! I should just take the mask out of the pouch and give it to him; he'll be none the wiser. Watch, it'll end up being a mask he loves. LOL.

@itsfi  Great comparison! Not surprised the asparagus came out the the winner of the three- I was rooting for it after I read the serum type and scent! Definitely sounds like one I'd like to try! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yes, a victory for the asparagus sheet mask ๐Ÿ™Œ (but no love when it comes to an asparagus emoji. ๐Ÿ˜ž) I know you appreciate that draw of an emulsion type serum @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜ My skin just drinks it up! ๐Ÿ’– So interesting about the coconut scent though - not at all complaining, it's just very interesting. @quspork mentioned below โฌ‡๏ธ the ingredient that's most likely contributing to the scent on this one. I'll have to pull out the other emulsion sheet masks that I have from this line and see if it's in those other ones as well. I'm on board with a coconut scent. 

What a great comparison, @itsfi! it sounds like the asparagus really worked out really well. A tropical scent on that one would have thrown me a bit too, but it sounds nice. 

@quspork, emulsion type serums are consistently a hit for my skin. โ™ฅ๏ธ Iโ€™ll take the odd coconut scent but now itโ€™s making me curious whether the other masks in this range with an emulsion type serum smell the same way. ๐Ÿค” As I write this, Iโ€™m also wondering if perhaps the INCI list includes coconut water or coconut milk or coconut extract. Or if it is the added fragrance in it. Making a note to dig into that a little deeper another day. 

I just glanced at the ingredients list and it does have "sucrose cocoate" which is apparently a surfactant made from sugar and coconut oil, so that could be it, @itsfi. Of course, they also have "fragrance" listed at the end, so Skinfood could have leaned into a tropical-type scent for the added fragrance. Now you have me curious about trying that one out to see how it goes- may have to wait for cooler weather though! 

Thank you for this @quspork! It must be the sucrose cocoate. Knowing this makes me feel better about my little sniffer working right. I was not expecting that scent, pleasant as it was, from an asparagus sheet mask; I even looked around to see if I had anything coconut scented nearby. Hahaha! If you try it later in the year, I will be very interested to know if your asparagus mask has an eau de coconut scent to it as well. Cooler weather would be good for this one; warm, summer weather hasn't made a full appearance here yet; maybe this weekend I hear, but it did rain briefly very early this morning so who knows?!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi you had me with the tropical scent of asparagus!! 

Hahaha @lmaster! Itโ€™s the islandโ€™s best kept secret. ๐Ÿ˜‚ So bizarre that I picked up a coconut scent on the asparagus mask.I looked up the ingredients list and it includes added fragrance, near the end, after asparagus extract. Now we know what the added fragrance is in this particular mask.

Fabulous citrus delight. I donโ€™t know about the pore tightening claims, I donโ€™t have large pores to begin with so it could. But it smells yummy. I used this one before and yup. Still good. Super refreshing. 

2BC6E97B-CE20-424E-A036-46EABA196581.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Weetart  

A citrus scent sounds refreshing.

@Weetart  A refreshing, citrusy delicious mask sounds lovely! Glad you liked it as much as you did before! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Refreshing with a great citrus scent sounds wonderful, @Weetart!

Citrus masks seem to be great for brightening too, @Weetart. This one sounds like a winner!

@Weetart, love hearing that this one has been a good mask both times you've used it. I'm intrigued by the pore tightening claims.

@Weetart  Sounds amazing!!! I wonder how much pore tightening it actually would do ๐Ÿค”

Sounds very refreshing @Weetart 

21,372 Replies
testing