Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

What a great recommendation from @lnum, @itsfi! I have tried a few Nature Republic masks (ok, lots), but not this one. Hydrogels are tricky and rather sneaky masks themselves, falling off and slip-sliding away at times. Thank you both for another mask to add to my to-try list!

@eshoe, I've only tried a couple of sheet masks from Nature Republic; in fact, this may just be my second one (?) The ginseng line of which this sheet mask is a part looks good too, so I may take a look at the other skincare products once I work my way through my current stash.

@itsfi they were my first โ€˜regular maskingโ€™ masks. Looking back, they were true filler masks, but I was so happy just making it a regular habit ๐Ÿ™‚ I also thought masking was the last step of a routine, so once I removed it, I was finished for the night. No serum or moisturizer necessary, ha! 

What a variety of results and preferences! @itsfi the last one, the multi step sounds really good

@lmaster, the Nature Republic mask is one of the better hydrogel masks out there.

@itsfi Ah yes my all time favorite sheet mask! Glad you enjoyed it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@lnum, the hydrogel material is really good - delicate, but really good. Other brands really should take note on the consistency and composition of this one. Thanks so much for the recommendation! โ™ฅ๏ธ

R for Glow Recipe and Real Essence, with a surprise discovery along the way:

356B0683-FE6F-4C46-A708-BD690DCA5852.jpeg

Spoiler
The Olio e Osso leaves the absolute sheerest blush of red on the lips. I have yet to try it on my cheeks, as I suspect it wouldnโ€™t give enough of a wash of clothes to be worth the trouble.

The Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial Mask 2.03 oz/ 60 mL immediately reminded me of another mask I use regularly and love. So much, that I decided to compare the two:
Spoiler
0B752D17-FA27-4527-A3D7-B6DD9950B21A.jpeg

Yep. They look and feel nearly identical.

What struck me was the texture of the GR. It has the exact same gently-exfoliating feel as the Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Peel; a clear abrasive in addition to darker, visible seeds. The AB has a more noticeable scent; slightly ashy. The instructions on both state to leave on for five minutes, and given my experience with the AB, I set a timer to ensure I did not exceed the recommended amount. After carefully rinsing, my skin felt softened and appeared slightly red - just like the AB. I decided to match the ingredient lists side by side, to see how similar they truly are.
Spoiler
B244D118-FA5C-493B-BD39-C762E432921A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

No surprise, they both contained many of the same ingredients. The AB has a much longer ingredient list, due to additional fruit and other extracts. I have a couple of uses remaining in my Wild Huckleberry Peel, and I plan to replace it with the GR to test is over a longer time period.

Next I used the Beauty Skin Cosmetics Real Essence Strawberry Mask. I selected this from the Motm box. It had a syrupy sweet strawberry scent and a somewhat watery essence. The light-medium weight mask was slightly oversize, with just-right eye openings. I left it on around 25 minutes, and after ten minutes, had only a moderate amount of tack. This was an enjoyable mask for a quiet Saturday evening -  a big thank you to whoever placed it in there for someone to try!   

@eshoe, the  watermelon clay mask didn't work out for me, but it's good to hear it is one that you like. So interesting how similar it is in look and feel to the Alpyn Beauty mask.

Oh no, @itsfi, I must have missed your review on it (or I may have forgotten!). I am curious what you didnโ€™t like about it. I definitely had to be careful with timing it, which made it a little stressful. 

@eshoe, it wasn't so much that the mask performed poorly; it was more that I didn't see any noticeable results that were standout. For me, there are other similar type masks that worked better for me.

@eshoe  Ouhh i love the OlioEOsso!  I have number 10.  Itโ€™s sooooo very natural!! I like to use it when doing fake burnt cheeks and freckles ๐Ÿ™‚ 

22393B34-1AD6-46FC-808E-322B56D8D965.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Yeah that looks like a good sunburn, @heartsmyface! I just had to go check mine as I didnโ€™t realize they are numbered. That is soooo natural on you.

I love that strawberry mask!! Idk if I put it in there, but I have used it before @eshoe 

If you did, thank you, @lmaster - I love fruity masks ๐Ÿ™‚

@eshoe @Oh that glow recipe sounds interesting! Thatโ€™s surprising that it is so close to the other mask! 

I do love those Olio e Osso sticks - I find I can get a decent wash of color on my cheeks with a brush but yeah definitely not super low effort 

@Kim888 itโ€™s good to know there is a near dupe out there for the AB, especially because I like that one so much. Plus for people who are more sensitive to extracts, the GR is a great option.

R is for . . . 

R week (collage).jpg

R for Rose:๐ŸŒน

Spoiler
I've used this mask before but don't think I posted about it here which seems odd. The soft, thin, pale salmon hued 100% natural cellulose fiber mask of the Daycell MediLab Black Rose Ampoule Mask Pack Ultra Aqua is infused with a beautifully rose scented viscous but not goopy essence made up of a host of good-for-the-skin ingredients, including 10% natural damask rose flower water, witch hazel, niacinamide, adenosine, Dongtaek flower oil, and camellia oil. The mask can be adjusted along the perimeter for a tailored fit, adheres wonderfully to the skin and wears comfortably for the entire 30 minutes I had it on ,which makes for to an overall relaxing luxe masking sesh.  With all the essence in the mask, I feel like I could have left it on for an additional 15, possibly 20 minutes without it drying out. After removing the mask and pressing in the remaining essence, my skin looked and felt hydrated and moisturized and my complexion looked bright, refreshed, revitalized. This is a definite repurchase and I plan to pick up a few of the skincare products from the line at some point as well.

R for Rewind . . . back to P week, for peach๐Ÿ‘  

Spoiler
Geared towards nutrition and vitality (per the packaging), the cellulose material of the Farmstay Real Peach Essence Mask adheres nicely and fits fairly well to my face size, shape and features, being only a smidge too long at the chin and requiring the slightest of incisions to the inner corner of the eye opening to keep the clear, slightly viscous essence with a faint, artificial peach scent from getting too close to my tear ducts. There was some light tingling at the very beginning that faded away quickly and, after 30 minutes of wear, my skin looked and felt refreshed and hydrated. This is a good filler mask, better suited for most when the weather is warm, though those with oily skin may find this a good mask year-round.

Frudia Peach Vinegar Dirty Foot Peeling Socks is currently being put to the wear test; will update with results at another date.

R for Revitalizing, Regular, and Routine (daily masking) with a green tea theme: ๐Ÿต

Spoiler
A'Pieu Daily Sheet Mask Green Tea is a pack of 33 sheet masks, sandwiched together in a compact plastic tub containing mini tweezer for removing the sheets one by one in a hygienic manner. I've been reaching for these sheets off and on, since about late August / early September. 

A'Pieu has three mask packs in this type of vehicle, this green tea version, a black tea version and a hyaluronic acid and glutathione version, the latter of which was the first mask pack from this brand that I tried (and which still one I consider to be a favorite). This green tea version has a fresh scent and claims to soothe and rejuvenate skin with daily use. The sheet holds a lot of essence - more than the Saborino mask packs but less than an individually wrapped sheet mask. 

As with other mask packs, I recommend turning the tub upside down to allow the extra essence at the bottom to reach the top layers of sheet masks. You'll just need to be careful that the tub does not leak. This is not my first time using a daily mask pack in this format and I would highly recommend that you do not completely tear open the second lid to this sheet mask pack - this will come in handy when turning the tub upside down as well preserving the essence. 

Like most sheet masks, adherence of the sheets here are good; adjustments will be needed for a tailor fit - these sheet masks are, like most sheets, overly large along the perimeter and, while the openings for the eyes and mouth are a decent size, I still need to make some slight incisions to the inner corner of the eyes and the outer corner of the mouth. Instructions call for 10-20 minutes of wear but I keep these on for about 30 minutes. My skin looks and feels soft, smooth, and bouncy to the touch, hydrated throughout and with a fresh-faced glow. A'Pieu does it again with these daily mask packs. I continue to prefer these to the BCL Saborino daily mask packs and plan to pick up the 'black tea' version at some point after I finish with this green tea pack.

Spoiler
R- rejuvenating green tea (open).jpgR - rejuvenating - open 2.jpg
Lip Care
Spoiler
Innisfree Lip Sleeping Mask with Green Tea is a soft, emollient, thick-ish, pale sage green hued balm that glides on easily and leaves my lips feeling moisturized. It's one I enjoy and when I finish it, I would happily use another one, but at this point, I have plenty of lip sleeping masks that I don't really have reason to pick one up. 

R for Resin๐Ÿฏ

Spoiler
Propolis is a resin created by bees, containing a blend of bee saliva, beeswax and various other substances from plants and trees.

This is a repeat mask for me but like the Daycell MediLab Black Rose mask, I'm not sure I've posted a review about it here until now. 
Mediheal Meience ProJelly Mask consists of so many great components, each wonderful on its own but combined together, make this a wonderful sheet mask for those with dry or dehydrated skin. The linen material of the sheet is light, thin and soft, which makes this feel smooth, comfortable and comforting against the skin. The thick, cooling gel feels both soothing and nourishing. My nose picks up on something that smells like something honey-related but not a full-on honey scent. There is a tackiness that lingers that may be problematic for some but isn't a deal breaker for me, especially not given how my complexion glistens and how moisturized and nourished my skin feels.

@itsfi  

Do you like the masks in the pack more than individual sheet masks? Are there ones that you would consider HG or favorites?

@missy94612, oh, that's a good but hard question to answer. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค” 

Yes ... and no. ๐Ÿ˜† I like the variety that can be had with having a mix of individually packaged sheet masks. At the same time, though, I appreciate the eco-friendliness of the mask packs. I do like having a mix of them. I have found a couple of mask packs that I would be happy to have take up the majority of the sheet masks I have on hand at any given stretch of time. The VT Cosmetics Cica Soothing mask pack, and the glutathione or green tea ones from A'Pieu are faves so far. There are others but they've either been discontinued or I haven't been able to find them. Mask packs are worth a try; some brands, mainly Japanese brand LuLuLun and BCL Saborino have mask packs in packs of 1, 5 or 7 which is a nice way to try them for daily masking without committing to a pack of 28 or 33 (I know, the amount is odd; I haven't (yet) figured out why they don't come in packs of 30 or 31).

@itsfi roses and foot peels ๐Ÿ˜† two of my favorites

21,372 Replies
testing