Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@eshoe you know what's funny is that the first time I used this mask, I smelled strawberry, this time when I used the one from the gratis, I barely picked up any scent 

@lmaster @Kim888, I used the one from the gratis package and the scent was noticeably more faint than the first mask I used. I pick up the scent when I stick my nose in the packet but it is very, very light. I have another strawberry mask that I picked up between the time of when this mask was originally released and the time we received the gratis package. I think I may give one of those a try when Iโ€™m back home. lmaster, Iโ€™d love to know how your other strawberry masks turn out. 

@lmaster @Okay Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m not going crazy! Iโ€™ve been seeing everyone mention the scent is super sugary but I barely picked up any scent from the gratis one. It smelled very slightly sweet for me but basically unnoticeable 

Yep!! @Kim888 I was so confused ๐Ÿค” I have another one that I bought a couple months ago,,, I'm going to use it tomorrow and see if I recall correctly 

How strange, @lmaster. I donโ€™t think they are old enough to be close to expiration, which sometimes precipitates a change in scent.

I know!! I think I have another one from a couple months ago,,, I'll have to use it this week @eshoe 

A few more T masks from last week

T for Therapy

T - Therapy.jpg

Spoiler
Vitamasques Jade Face Sheet Mask is a very soft, thin, light green tinted sheet that, to me, resembles cotton microfiberAdherence is good and fit can be tailored with some adjustments to the length at the chin and the inner corners of the eye opening. Skin looks and feels soft, smooth, lightly nourished - with this particular mask, I reached for my jade gua sha and roller to help the essence, which has a mix of quickly dissipating scents - slightly citrusy, slightly floral, slightly spicy -  absorb better into my skin and to release some muscle tension. Overall, the mask isn't bad, but it isn't one I would run out to pick up. What this masking sesh did was remind me of the benefits of using a gua sha or quartz roller more regularly. Adding that to my list of habits to form. ๐Ÿ˜‰

T for Tranexamic 

T - tranexamic.jpg

Spoiler
Tranexamic acid has been on my radar for the last few years. It's an ingredient that has been included in Asian beauty products to help fade dark spots, including PIH, and brighten skin. L'Herboflore has a popular sheet mask containing tranexamic acid, but it's difficult to source here in the States, so when I saw this  Dr. Morita Brightening Tranexamic Acid Facial Sheet Mask  sitting on the shelf in the store by its lonesome, my hand reached for it immediately. 

It's a lightweight, soft, paper thin Tencel sheet that is saturated in a clear, thin, almost watery liquid. There's just the slightest hint of viscosity to the unscented essence, enough to keep it from being runny and dripping everywhere. There's plenty of essence in the sheet and in the packet as well, more than enough for the 30 minutes that I had on the mask. Like most Taiwanese sheet masks, this one adheres gently and nicely to the contours of the face and fit is pretty good. Loaded with ingredients like licorice root extract, hyaluronic acid, collagen and, of course, tranexamic acid, my skin is left looking and feeling hydrated, plump, bouncy and brightened. This is one I would happily repurchase and will on my next sheet mask haul, which, given that I just made a couple, won't be until after the new year. 

@itsfi  

The gua shua and face roller sound like they'd be great to involve with your masking. It's too bad the sheet mask didn't work out better.

@missy94612, both are nice. I need to do better about remembering to incorporate them when I'm masking.

@itsfi  The Dr. Morita mask sounds interesting. I remember using that ingredient before as an iv medication. I find it interesting that it is also used for brightening!

@ather, I've done some, but not a lot of reading up on tranexamic acid and there's a lot of articles on it as a medicine. I haven't yet come upon exactly how it came to be used in skincare. From what I've taken in so far, it seems like there are studies to suggest that, as a topical, it may be as effective as hydroquinone at fading dark spots, but without the degree of irritation and redness that the use of hydroquinone has been known to produce. I have a couple of tranexamic products in my stash, but am slowly easing into it with sheet masks with the ingredient. 

@itsfi  Sounds like it might be the next big thing! Iโ€™m interested in seeing it more. 

@itsfi The Dr. Morita mask with tranexamic acid piqued my interest too. The Ordinary has a serum with that as its star ingredient, which they discussed during a masterclass earlier this year. I have been meaning to try it but like so many things, one gets sidetracked. I wonder how often you would need to use this mask to notice a difference. At any rate, it is a good reminder to try it!

@eshoe, I've only tried a couple of Dr. Morita masks and like them. The Ordinary has a tranexamic acid product? I know The Inkey List has one - The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL. I have the one from TIL and it's in the queue for use once I've worked through a few other items, but I didn't realize that The Ordinary had one as well. It makes sense though; it is an ingredient that I think we'll be seeing more of in skincare products. 

Oh goodness @itsfi I meant The Inkey List๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ   

@itsfi  Oh, I don't know if I've ever tried a mask with Tranexamic Acid! The results really sound wonderful!

I've bought most of the Vitamasque masks I could find, but passed on the Gemstone line because of the reviews saying they're not too impressive - sounds like your experience wasn't much different from the other reviewers.  I love that you paired it with a gua sha and roller - definitely makes for a pretty picture ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, these gemstone masks are just alright - good call on passing on them. I still have a 3-step mask from Vitamasques I need to try but so far, their fruit line is my favorite with the lychee mask being tops. 

Iโ€™ve only recently started seeing more sheet masks with tranexamic acid in it. Iโ€™ve read good things about the Dr Morita brand and was happy to have a chance to try this one. 

Oh nice! Both masks are winners!!! @itsfi I need to use my beauty roller more too ๐Ÿคฆ

@lmaster, I feel like I need to wear my face roller as a necklace to get me to remember to use it. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi oh interesting! I'm not sure I've heard anything about Tranexamic acid but that mask sounds amazing! Anything that adheres and moves with the curves of your face is always a great bonus!

@Kim888, tranexamic acid in skincare is gaining in popularity here in the States. I've been seeing more and more it in serums and other skincare products in the last year or two. The ingredient itself has been popular in Southeast Asia for a while, both as an oral medication and topical treatment product for melasma, PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) and PIE (post-inflammatory erythema). It's also been used as a medicine having nothing to do with skincare. A few years back L'Herboflore had (and maybe still has?) a Tranexamic Acid + Truffle Whitening Mask that was difficult to source (at one point you could only find it overseas) but highly sought after because of its brightening effects. That was a really nice mask, but again, a challenge to get a hold of. There are more topical products and sheet masks out there now with it as a key ingredient.

21,367 Replies
testing