Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

โ€œI'm in it for life.โ€œ

Ha ha @lmaster, I couldnโ€™t have said it better myself! Everything here has quieted down over the past year, including me. I just want to do what I can to keep it moving forward. Thank you for your encouraging words, they mean so much to me ๐Ÿค—

@eshoe I agree with @lmaster that I find the alphabet helpful! Sometimes I don't have masks on theme but I can almost always find a letter one! 

I am open to switching to a monthly situation as well though! We could always do a chunk of the alphabet for each month if that makes things more streamlined!

@Kim888 I love that idea! I think I will do that then. I personally like having it too. Even though I am not always posting about the masks I use, I am using either/or as my โ€˜route guidance.โ€™ Thank you for your input!!! @lmaster 

@Kim888 @eshoe I do like that idea of chunking letters for the month ๐Ÿ™Œ

I think it is a great idea, too, @lmaster @Kim888 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

@lmaster, I echo your โ€œIโ€™m in it for lifeโ€ sentiments. ๐Ÿฅฐ โ™ฅ๏ธ Good point too on the options the current set up provides. No preference on my part, @eshoe. If thereโ€™s a consensus among the group, that seems like a good plan. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @itsfi. I feel the same; whatever works best for everyone else works best for me โ˜บ๏ธ 

@itsfi @eshoe ๐ŸŒนโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜˜

@eshoe  Iโ€™m definitely open to either way!

Thank you for letting me know, @ather

@eshoe  Both options sound good to me. I have been using the same masks and I need to start doing the challenges again.

Thank you so much, @faeriegirl. That means a lot to me, and helps me tremendously ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@ather @haleyvvvv @missjeanie @Samtian โฌ†๏ธ

@itsfi Same as Haleyvvv. 

Thanks for the tag, @itsfi!! 

@eshoe since I tend to hop in and out, I don't really have a preference!!

Thank you for the heads up, @haleyvvvv

Final catch up with a couple of masks from last week.

V for Vitalizing

V - vitalizing.jpg

Spoiler
The thin, 100% natural cotton sheet of the Decorte Vita De Reve Mask (Herbal Vitalizing Lotion Mask) has a bit of heft to it; I wouldn't say it's heavy, but there's a distinct weight to the material itself. Adherence is fine enough but it's the size of the mask that stands out, in that, it runs small overall. This had its share of pros and cons for me - the length and width worked really well for my face, which is a rarity; the openings for the eyes and mouth, however, were among the smallest and narrowest that I've seen in a sheet mask. The clear, watery but not runny essence has an herbal, minty and slightly medicinal scent to it, which makes sense given that the essence contains four different mint plants.

This line from Japanese brand Decorte is well regarded and I like the essence in this mask, but the wear time of this one makes it a pass for me, at least during the cooler seasons. To be fair, directions for most sheet masks recommend leaving it on for 10-20 minutes and I was able to leave this one on for around 15 minutes before I started feeling the mask drying up in certain areas. I'm accustomed to being able to leave most sheet masks on for at least 30 minutes and I was hoping to do the same with this one, especially this time of the year. It could be that my skin has been leaning more dehydrated and dry of late, but this Decorte mask seems better suited to those with normal, combo or oily skin, or a better fit for use in the warmer weather.

V for Vitamins with an ingredient spotlight on camellia seed oil, which contains a host of minerals and vitamins, namely A, B & E. Fun fact: The camellia tree from which the oil is extracted is also know as the Rose of Winter, making this a fitting mask for last week's winter theme as well. ๐Ÿ’–

V - Vitamins (camellia oil).jpg

Sheet Mask:  

Spoiler
Oil based sheet masks make my skin happy fall and winter months so I was really  excited to try the Mamonde Camellia AntiAging Flower Lab Essence Mask. The lightweight, thin sheet is made of "100% real eucalyptus tree pulp" (if branded, it would be referred to as "Tencel").  Adherence is good, and a tailored fit can be had with a few adjustments to the length at the chin / jawline and to the corners of the eye and mouth openings, all standard fare when it comes to sheet masks and the size, shape and features of my face.. 

There's a soft but noticeable, pleasant, floral scent - I'm not familiar with the scent of camellia so I couldn't say for certain that it smelled like a camellia flower. It doesn't linger, dissipating by the time the mask has been applied on my face. The clear serum has a light but rich feel to it and has a slight viscosity to it that keeps it from dripping everywhere. 

My skin must have been extra parched the night I used this sheet mask because practically every inch of my face slurped up the serum - my forehead was the only part of my face that had any excess amount of serum remaning atop it once I removed the mask after 30 minutes of wear. The other parts of my face felt lightly damp with serum and the sheet mask covering those areas felt like they were trending towards drying, which took me by surprise as that doesn't usually happen (making a note to add some extras to my skincare routine). 

I can't speak to the mask's anti-aging claims as I'm of the mindset that results like firming and other anti-aging claims require more than just a single, isolated use to be noticeable. That being said, I felt a slight tack to the touch as I pressed / patted in the remaining serum. The next morning, my skin has a dewy glow to it (not greasy or overly shiny) and feels bouncy, moisturized and nourished

One major downside to this mask, at least in my mind, is that the key ingredient, camellia seed oil, is listed last on the ingredients list. โฌ‡๏ธ
Spoiler
from Aritaum's US site (Mamonde is one of Aritaum's subsidiaries):

WATER / AQUA / EAU, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, DIMETHICONE, GLYCERETH-26, METHYLGLUCETH-20, CAPRYLIC / CAPRICTRI GLYCERIDE, POLYSORBATE 60, 1, 2 - HEXANEDIOL, PANTHENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, CETEARYLALCOHOL, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PEG- 100 STEARATE, ALLANTOIN, ACRYLATES / C10-30 ALKYLACRYLATE CROSS POLYMER, ARGININE, DI POTASSIUM GLYCYRRHIZATE, ETHYLHEXYL GLYCERIN, SODIUM POLY ACRYLATE, HYDROXY ETHYL ACRYLATE / SODIUM ACRYLOYL DIMETHYLTAURATECO POLYMER, ADENOSINE, FRAGRANCE / PARFUM, DISODIUMEDTA, XANTHANGUM, SODIUMHYALURONATE,CAMELLIAJAPONICAFLOWEREXTRACT

Lip Mask

Spoiler
If the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask and the Laneige Lip Glowy Balm had a baby, I think it might look and feel a lot like the Petitfee Oil Blossom Lip Mask, and that is not a bad thing. I wasn't expecting too much from the balm but I quite like the feel of the consistency - it's better suited for daytime wear or, if you like to layer your lip balms / masks / oils, I could see this making for a good first layer.  

The eye holes even look small on the packaging @itsfi snip snip here and there ๐Ÿ˜‰

@lmaster, hahaha! I don't even have particularly large eyes and these were too narrow for me. ๐Ÿ˜† The Decorte is definitely one of those where it would probably just be better to pick up a serum or essence or toner from the series and either do the 7-skin method with it or use it with one of those blank sheet masks. 

@itsfi  The Camellia masks sounds lovely....... but it is always annoying to see the "star ingredient" in last place ๐Ÿง Happy the results turned out great! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, yeah, that always baffles me. If ingredients are listed from highest concentration to lowest (which is generally the case with Korean sheet masks), then how does it make sense that the main or star ingredient is the last one listed? ๐Ÿ™„ Results were good, but having gone through so many masks, I'm more inclined to choose a camellia oil based mask that lists camellia oil in the top half of the INCI list.

21,367 Replies
testing