Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Itโ€™s May, Hurray! ๐ŸŒธ We are almost 1/2-way through this yearโ€™s challenge๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

tenor

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Mask with a Partner! @Alphaboo gives us this weekโ€™s fun challenge: Letโ€™s make an excuse to mask togetherโ˜บ๏ธ

Letter of the Week:  T

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@eshoe, paraffin wax treatments can feel so relaxing, especially in the wintertime. Itโ€™s a bummer you didnโ€™t get a chance to use it.

Love that paraffin foot mask, @itsfi. It really is so nicely nourishing without being overly sticky. 

@quspork, agreed. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I used to think that all non-exfoliating foot masks were generally the same but Iโ€™m finding that there are some standouts in that space, and this Mediheal paraffin foot mask is one of them. Iโ€™m now curious to see if other brands have something similar. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi  I have yet to use a hand or foot mask from Mediheal.... moisturized and nourished  sounds great! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, it seems like they might have been going for something like a hot paraffin hand and foot mask here. Oooh, a mask with a milky lotion-y serum like these but with a thermal / warming component would be sooo nice. ๐Ÿ’ก Maybe next time, I'll try putting them in the microwave, after removing them from the packaging, before putting them on. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค”  The more lotion like serum really lent itself to being more moisturizing. 

These sound so very nice! @itsfi 

@lmaster, I was surprised by these masks, in a good way. ๐Ÿ‘ I've neglected my feet so it was a nice treat for them and the foot masks served as a reminder that I need to get in a foot peel / exfoliating mask. I'll probably wait until next week - no need for a trail of skin patches while hunting for Easter eggs. lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚

M is for mammal (the Arctic fox)

M - mammal.jpg

Spoiler
Maybe the M for mammal theme is a stretch, but since the themes are guidelines, it's a stretch that works, I think. And best of all, the mask works, too! This one was gifted to me by the magnificent @lmaster! Thank you! ๐Ÿค—

The design on The Creme Shop Chill Out, Skin Animated Arctic Fox Face Mask - Infused with Hydrating & Cooling Glacial Water is cute and looks like an animated arctic fox. ๐ŸฆŠ Performance and results were good - the cooling sensation from this medium-thick cotton mask makes for a relaxing treat when unwinding at night or for a pick me up if used as part of a morning skincare routine. Adherence is good and fit can be easily tailored to suit the size, shape and features of the face. Interestingly, I did not need to make as many adjustments to this mask as I normally do with other TCS sheet masks. There's enough of the clear, slightly viscous subtly minty-ish scented essence in this one to go beyond the 40 minutes I had it on (instructions call for 15-20 minutes). After removing the mask, my skin looked and felt, more bouncy, hydrated, and dewy! The cooling feeling from the mask lasted for some time even after the essence had been completely absorbed. 

Ingredients:
Spoiler
from thecremeshop dot com:
Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glacier Water, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Mentha Suaveolens Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract, Chamaecyparis Obtusa Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Cinnamomum Cassia Bark Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Hydroxyacetophenone, Betaine, Carbomer, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Arginine, Trideceth-10, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance
M - mammal (Arctic fox).jpg

What a cute mask and tie-in for the theme, @itsfi

@eshoe, thanks. The mask is very cute. ๐ŸฆŠ 

@itsfi I'm glad this one is a win! I have a few of them in my stash lol.

@Samtian, it's easy to accumulate a few of these animated animal masks. This one was really refreshing! Loved the hydration it gave me. ๐Ÿ˜ I have another one that I plan to set aside for the summer - the cooling feel will come in handy as will the hydrating aspect. ๐Ÿ˜€

@itsfi  Mammal totally works! Love your creativity ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Awe, this one sounds great, and even better that it's cute! It does seem that out of all their masks, the character masks generally fit the best. So happy this one worked out so well.... guess you just needed to chill out ๐Ÿ˜†

Hahaha! Happy to have to chill out, @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜† I really wanted to use this one so I had to put the little noggin ๐Ÿง  to work for the M tie-in. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@itsfi awww super cute design!! I love a good cooling mask,, this one will be great for the summer too

TCS is sometimes off the mark with its animal mask design but this is good. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ You are absolutely right, @lmaster - this will make a fantastic mask for the summer! ๐ŸŒž 

Two brands, one founder and owner. The last of my masks from last week.

K - womenโ€™s - peach & lily.jpg

Both of these masks are from brands founded and owned by Alicia Yoon. I've used both in the past; the wash off mask is a staple for me. 

Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
Not only is the Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask pretty to look at, it does a pretty darn good job at unclogging pores, refining texture and leaving skin soft and smooth. I occasionally use this all over my face, but its primary place in my masking library is to combat clogged pores and little bumps that crop up occasionally along my jawline. Because of its goopy consistency, application can get messy. I apply this with my fingers or a mask brush / spatula, the latter will make for a cleaner application but both work fine for me. I usually experience the slightest tingling, but every so often it may be more noticeable and last a smidge longer. 15 - 20 minutes with this turquoise blue gooey gel retexturizes my skin beautifully ~ it looks and feels a lot more smooth and just better, clearer, brighter.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Sheet Mask
Spoiler
These peach slices sheet masks were one of the first, or perhaps the first, line of sheet masks developed by Alicia Yoon. I like the playfulness of the peach slices collection - the bright colors and fun pattern are cheerful.

Material & Essence
: This thin cotton peach slices Firm Sheet Mask is saturated in a clear, watery essence. When I reached for this mask, I had a thought that it had a sweet and fruity scent to it, but that is not what I picked up this go around. The scent wasn't offensive but it definitely was not sweet or fruity as I expected. It leaned more herbaceous.

Adherence & Fit:  Adherence was wonderful and fit was generally good and was made better with some adjustments. The width is too wide, but not so much as to warrant cutting away parts of the mask - the strands of hair framing my face just got some extra TLC. lol. I snipped off about 3/4" inch from the chin / jawline and only deepened the slit near the inner corners of the eye to help the material lie better against my skin - zero concern with the material being too close or the essence falling into my eyes. Similarly I made a small cut to the corners of the mouth to help the material sit better. 

Performance & Results: I didn't feel any firming or lifting from the mask this time. What I did notice was that my skin looked more supple and plump and felt more bouncy. It also looked and felt very hydrated, which I loved. There was so much essence to this mask that I ended up leaving it on for 45 minutes and there was still a lot of essence remaining on the mask and atop my face after that time. My skin looked dewy, glowy and that radiance remained even after patting and pressing in the extra essence and waiting for it to be completely absorbed, which it did quickly. 

My Two Cents: I like the peach slices masks. While this firm variation is a good one, it's not my favorite in the collection. That said, I would consider picking up a handful of these firm masks and daily-sheet-masking (that's a legit verb in my household - hahaha!) with this version for a week, week-and-half to see if its firming and lifting claims are more noticeable with regular use. Hmm....making a note to consider this at some point. 

Spoiler
about the founder / owner
Spoiler
Alicia Yoon's foray into the world of skincare and specifically KBeauty was influenced by the skin issues, including severe eczema, she experienced growing up. That led her to attend aesthetician school in Korea, where she learned about ingredients, techniques and technologies in the Korean beauty space. She parlayed that experience into Peach & Lily, which, in 2012, started out as an online retailer for Korean beauty products. In the early days, she offered phone consultations, which included a list of recommended products and instructions on when and how to use them. She launched her own line four years later and has since, continued to grow her business and expand her product line.

@itsfi I do like this brand too, the resurfacing mask kinda reminds me of the #Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA and Enzyme Pore Refining Mask 2 oz/ 60 mL have you tried that one?

@lmaster, yes they are very similarly, in sorta the same color family as well! ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š Iโ€™ve used the Herbivore Blue Tansy and like it. I donโ€™t know if maybe the DS of the Herbivore that I had was older but I felt like I have more consistent good results from the Peach & Lily mask - I always feel like it does a good job of resurfacing my skin. There were times  when the Herbivore didnโ€™t seem like it did anything for my skin. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ It was surprising. 

@itsfi curious how often you use the wash-off mask. Also, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being 'so gentle you might miss it if you blink,' and 10 being 'WOAH, look out, skin!' how heavy duty is it? I see BHA, so that makes me think it might be off-limits for those with drier or sensitive skin? 

@eshoe, the degree of tingling varies from use to use for me. Some days itโ€™s a 1 or 2; other days itโ€™s a 6 or 7. But my 1 or 2, or 6 or 7, may not be the same as someone elseโ€™s. I imagine some factors for that includes how sensitive my skin is that particular day/time, and that may depend on a number of things as well, including how many and what other actives Iโ€™ve been using.

Regarding AHAs and BHAs, itโ€™s been said that AHA is better suited for those with dry skin and BHA for those with oily skin. My skin type ranges from dehydrated-dry to dehydrated-combo (leaning oily or dry depending on the time of year) and it can be sensitive to actives and certain ingredients. My skin has responded well throughout the year to both AHAs and BHAs, so I think that like with most things, thereโ€™s the general assumptions and suggestions but each personโ€™s skin is different and will react or tolerate different ingredients in different ways, depending on a host of factors including climate, other skincare products in use, etc. Iโ€™m mindful of the general take on AHA/BHA and try to take into account how each performs on my skin and go for what works best for it, and keeping aware of how frequently Iโ€™m using them and their concentration so that I donโ€™t over-exfoliate.

9,771 Replies
Photos1,724
  • The eye patches I reach for most often.
  • 4DD63543-C124-4765-AED1-6201B2D4B8E9.jpeg
  • I wish my skin loved grapefruit as much as my nose does.
  • Thanks, YesStyle, for marring this packaging with your sticker.
  • 95AA92FC-C259-4A86-9792-D371BF6DE5AE.jpeg
  • EB947FDF-F7F4-4BCA-A209-639327AAE741.jpeg
  • D8DC0C1D-492C-4C5E-9F38-98A3FDDB828F.jpeg
  • papaya.jpg
  • Papayaing.JPG
  • Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.
  • Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.
  • BubbleMask.jpg
  • Bubble Mask on.jpg
  • Bubbles!.jpg