Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi 

Olaplex is my go to hair care! 

@elleb810, Olaplex has so many great products! ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm interested to see how this No. 8 mask performs with continued use. Do you have any favorite Olaplex products? Or do you love the entire range?

@itsfi 

I have loved everything I've tried, so pretty much the entire line. Ha! My favorites are the No. 3 treatment, the oil and the new hair mask. What about you - what are your favorites?

@elleb810, so many great products to choose from. Iโ€™m particularly fond of the shampoo and conditioner - Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenanceโ„ข Shampoo 8.5 oz/ 250 mL Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenanceโ„ข Conditioner 8.5 oz/ 250 mL 

That's a great idea for the letter X!! @itsfi I sooooo loved that watermelon mask!! 

This was such a gooood mask @lmasterโค๏ธ๐Ÿ‰  

Ohhh thank you!! ๐Ÿ˜˜ "X" is probably the most challenging letter of the week for me to find masks within my mask stash. It feels like I'm always scrambling at the beginning of the week for what I can do for an "X" mask - you'd think with the number of masks I have, even with keeping a "smaller" stash that I'd be able to find something faster and more easily than I do. This year, I did what I should have done in years past - keep a note of what I've used for "X"! ๐Ÿ˜† I actually tried to find a sheet mask with just 10 ingredients but wasn't so successful. The closest I came were sheet masks with 12 ingredients. Going to keep an eye out though for a 10-ingredient sheet mask. 

@itsfi it seems almost unreasonable that the GR mask was discontinued. Who doesnโ€™t want Jolly Rancher-scented goodness while masking? 

Your sentiments on the Youth To The People Superclay Purify + Clear Power Mask with Niacinamide 2.0 oz/ 60 mL are shared. The brand is so good at so many other things, that an ok product like this is to be expected, I guess๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@eshoe, it was a good hydrogel mask and an even better smelling one, that's for sure. ๐Ÿ˜ I have a feeling that Glow Recipe discontinued the watermelon sheet mask ๐Ÿ‰ as part of (or perhaps in consideration of) its commitment to sustainability. It's an issue with sheet masks, including the packaging. The ladies at Glow Recipe are super cognizant of impact on the environment and strive to be as eco-conscious as possible so that to me seems like the reason for discontinuing an otherwise popular and beloved product. I imagine that if they were able to produce a comparable but more eco-friendly product, they would have. Or maybe they still will, as there are more advances in technology, etc.

I had read in a few places, including here, that the YTTP clay mask wasn't as well regarded as other masks. I like that it's a gentle clay mask, but it may be just a little too gentle for my liking. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I can see that someone with very, very sensitive skin might enjoy this one.

Ahhhh that makes sense, @itsfi, regarding the GR sheet mask. 

Super-gentle may seem ineffective, but yes, I see what you are saying; what a relief for those with sensitive skin! I recall @makeitup305 commenting something similar about the PTR mask set gratis. Sometimes no irritation is more than you can ask for, and this seems to fit in that category.

@itsfi  Oh, I really liked that GR Watermelon mask! "Slippery little suckers" indeed! ๐Ÿ˜‚ The scent on that one is soo good! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ‰

@Shosh85, this was one of my more favorite hydrogels; I was bummed when they were discontinued and still am. Have you used any of the other products in their watermelon line? ๐Ÿ‰

X = 10, as in 10-Day Algenist GENIUS Sleeping Collagen Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL Challenge.

X - 10 - Algenist sleeping mask.jpg

Spoiler
A little of this rich, thick but soft, balmy, buttery cream goes a long way - I was able to get about 2 -3 uses from each foil. Despite the thickness, it melts into a luxe, silky consistency upon contact with the warmth of my skin. I've heard folks say that they pick up a vanilla or floral scent but that didn't seem to be the case with any of the foils I used. While there was a foil or two where it seemed like the sleeping mask was unscented, the product from a majority of the foils I used had a scent that made me think of clay.

From what I've read, a noticeable change to the skin from use of this Algenist mask occurs around Day 10 which is probably the reason there was a 10-day challenge and 10 samples as a promo for this sleeping mask It's been particularly chilly and cold here lately and this time of year, I tend to load my face up with an oil nowadays because my skin is pretty parched and slurps it all up during the night. I decided to forego face oils during this trial period. After the first night of applying this vegan plant-based collagen mask, I noticed that my skin looked and felt hydrated, more so than on nights before I started this 10-Day Algenist challenge. I usually have some dryness on my nose bridge, but that area seemed less dry the first morning after I used the Algenist. This certainly caught my attention. 

After the 5th night of using this sleeping mask, I noticed my skin looked and felt more hydrated and had a suppleness to it. As the days progressed, my skin felt more soft and smooth. At one point between days 5 and 10, I noticed that parts of my face felt a smidge more firm around the eyes, and after 10 nights of using the Algenist sleeping mask, my skin looked and felt more hydrated and had more of a bounce to itMy foundation also seemed to sit better on the parts of my face that are typically on the dry side, and I noticed little to no caking in those areas mid-day.  I really don't need another sleeping mask, but it is very hard to argue with these results. 

@itsfi  

I have used the collagen serum from this brand and liked it. Is the sleeping mask used in addition to moisturizer and face oils? 

@missy94612, the Algenist collagen serum is really good. Sleeping masks are usually meant to be used as the last step of an evening skincare routine, after moisturizer and face oils, and a few times per week, but, with most skincare products, I think you can use it more than a few times per week as well as in place of a moisturizer if it's something your skin can tolerate. The Algenist GENIUS Sleeping Collagen Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL is on the rich side so if your skin is oily or on the oily side, it might be too heavy. If your skin leans more dry though, it's a nice product to have in your rotation.

They make really nice products. Iโ€™m glad you noticed a positive difference! @itsfi 

@sister13, I've only tried the Algenist GENIUS Liquid Collagenยฎ Serum and enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting anything more than some hydration from this sleeping mask, but having seen such good results with just these foils, I can't not pick up a full size! I'm going to tell myself that I'm helping to support a local business - the brand's headquarter is in the city. Yep, going with that angle. ๐Ÿคฃ 

What other Algenist products have you tried and liked? 

And I think you are totally justified to buy when something shows noticeable results! @itsfi 

It's only a question of when, not if, at this point @sister13! ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Itโ€™s been a little while, but Iโ€™m remembering the  Algenist GENIUS Ultimate Anti-Aging Cream was great, and an eye cream. I havenโ€™t bought any in a while, but I think I have that liquid collagen in my stash I need to use! @itsfi I also think I have some of their challenge items In my sample stash I should use too! Great reminder!

@sister13, I'm adding those two in my notes I keep on my phone. I am pretty sure that I have seen the cream at TJ Maxx / Marshalls - a lot of them, so having that note on my phone will come in handy. I don't go to TJ Maxx / Marshalls very frequently, even less the last couple of years, but whenever I'm there and see a brand I like, I'm always wondering whether something got raves on BIC. This will help. 

If you try a sample of the Algenist sleeping cream, would love to hear how it works for you. Yes, this time of year is full of reminders - to use up products, to go through my sample stash, to not get sucked in too much into all the fabulous year end sales (may be too late for that this year! lol). 

Wow sounds like you had a great experience @itsfi !!!

21,372 Replies
testing