Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2023 Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I went with a watermelon ๐Ÿ‰ theme Sunday night - the fruits & veggies theme is always a good one (thank you @keana1โฃ๏ธ

Watermelon theme masks.jpg

Sheet Mask
Spoiler
The clear, unscented, mildly viscous essence in the Vitamasques Soothe Squalane Watermelon Sheet Mask is chock full of good for your skin ingredients to hydrate (watermelon, squalane, sodium hyaluronate, hyaluronic acid), soothe (allantoin, cica, camomile, aloe vera, madecassoside) and help to ease the signs of aging (peptides). The biodegradable sheet is neither thin nor thick, adheres well and has wide enough openings for the eyes and mouth. The material covering the nose bridge and philtrum are also nicely sized. Fit along the perimeter was typical of most sheet masks but I was able to make the necessary adjustments to achieve a more tailored fit. After having the mask on for my usual 30 minutes, my skin felt hydrated and more plump, without any tack or stickiness

I wouldn't have minded if the sheet contained a watermelon scent, but the lack of scent means that it is suitable for more folks. This is a good hydrating and soothing mask, and would be well suited for those with sensitive skin, provided there's no ingredients that cause an allergic reaction or which someone has a sensitivity with. I'm generally a fan of Vitamasques sheet masks and this one was nice, though not a favorite from the brand. It's one I'd be happy to use and I'm glad I gave it a try, but not one I'd necessarily repurchase. 
Exfoliating Foot Mask: The tie-in to the "X" letter of the week is pretty loose - but you get an "X" sound when you pronounce "ex"foliating ๐Ÿ™„. I used this Sunday night, left it on for a little over an hour - instructions call for 1 - 1.5 hours. Per the notes on the packet, peeling is expected within 4-6 days. I started to notice some peeling last night, which would be the 4th night, so we're in keeping with the claims. Since it's just at the start of the peeling stage, I'll follow back up in a few days with more detailed feedback. Stay tuned! ๐Ÿ‘ฃ

@itsfi  I think the X in exfoliating totally counts! The watermelon peeling foot mask sounds like itโ€™s living up to the promise! I canโ€™t wait to hear how the rest of the process goes! Might be a keeper! 

Awww, thanks @ather! And thank you for the reminder. I haven't posted an update. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Will try to do that in the next couple of days. Preview of update - the soles of my feet do feel soft! ๐Ÿ‘

Ohhhh watermelon such a great ingredient for summer masks @itsfi 

@lmaster, I love watermelon - the fruit, in sheet masks, lip balms, etc. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'll probaby have a bowl for my breakfast.

I havenโ€™t done a mask in forever, but I guess this counts! This was from my Boxwalla subscription box, a mini size of this Buchu Botanical Enzyme Polish. I looked Buchu up and itโ€™s a plant, and this mask also has Baobab fruit and papaya and pineapple enzymes, so these all count as fruits & veggies, yay!  I guess Buchu is a shrub and dried leaves used for medicinal purposes. Anyway, this has a nice light and unique, herbal, fresh scent. Itโ€™s a pretty gentle exfoliation and a light green color. I like physical masks because Iโ€™m always in a rush, haha. Iโ€™m so glad to try this one out!

9B9992C4-06A0-4F23-9DE0-75535D4704D5.jpeg

@sister13  Sounds like a great mask! 

Thanks! @ather 

This sounds like a lovely one, @sister13. I love a little light physical exfoliation from time to time. 

Agreed!! @quspork 

I bet you had soft smooth skin after this one! @sister13 

Thank you! Just got back from a conference and am gonna need some TLC for my skin for sure! @lmaster 

Ooooh, I'm a fan of African Botanics @sister13! This polish sounds lovely ๐Ÿ˜ - papaya and pineapple are wonderful natural exfoliants and I am on board with some gentle exfoliation. I've found as I've gotten older that I need to be more gentle on my skin when it comes to exfoliation. 

Thanks! Yes, I try to be gentler and not use too many actives too often and my skin does better! Looking forward to using the Vit C serum that came in this box but working through a few other FS and DS first!  @itsfi 

E For Exfoliate ๐Ÿ˜€

The Mask I used today was a Que Bella Original. This mask is the peel-off charcoal mask. It is to exfoliate your skin and to make it feel brand new. It was a wonderful Experience and I would def purchase again!

This wonderful mask graced my face with such easy black mask material spread. As I waited for 15 mins+ I felt as the amazing mask froze to dryness. Once my face was unmovable my the drying mask, peeling it off as one. It felt satisfying as I peeled. The peeling didnโ€™t hurt at all, and it even gave a little tingle of excitement as I took it off. It gave me face the glow up, I deservedly needed. 

IMG_3133.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Skincare222  I love that it came off in one peel. Thatโ€™s my fav! 

It's always nice to find a peel off that doesn't hurt when you remove it, @Skincare222. Glad to hear this one worked out well for you!

@Skincare222 this sounds like a wonderful peel off experience 

@Skincare222, I like the sound of a peel off mask not hurting when it comes off and your results sound fantastic - I'm all for a glow up. ๐Ÿ‘ You mentioned the mask dries, which makes sense since it peels off - did you experience any tightness to your skin as the mask dried?

Challenge Themes - Letter of the Week = W and Masks That Would Make A Good Band Name (from last week)

I'm always a fan of the band name sheet mask challenge - excellent idea for a theme @PrettyPaint. Love it. ๐Ÿ’— The Gastropods or Escar Go Go's (love it @twilightnicky!) are must have bands, in my mind at least, when it comes to this challenge theme. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 
gastropod - band.jpg
Spoiler
The clear, slightly goopy jelly texture of the Annie's Way Snail Repair Jelly Mask feels cool and soothing as I spread it across my face. There's a strong perfume scent to this - although it is fleeting, it's a bit strong for my taste. To me, the scent would make it a big pass for those allergic or sensitive to fragrance. The product itself feels light on the skin for having a thicker-leaning consistency. Oddly, I felt a slight tingle part way through the 30-minutes I had on this mask. Removal can take some effort if you follow the directions - gently scrape off the mask with the included spatula after 15-30 minutes, then wipe off the remaining product with tissue and rinse with water. Having used this mask a couple of times, I recommend using a lukewarm water and a washcloth for removal. I can't say whether it did much for my pores, but the mask does lightly hydrate my skin. My otherwise combination skin is just dehydrated enough that this one is probably not hydrating enough for me except for a few weeks in the late summer / early fall when the weather here is at its warmest. It's something I think would be best suited for those with normal, oily or combination skin
Sticking with the Taiwanese brand Annie's Way, this Annie's Way Bubble Tea Mask - Brown Sugar makes me think of two possible band names - Bubble Tea and Boba. If we were to rate the sheet mask on its performance, it would earn, in keeping with the letter of the week last week, a W for wonderful and wow! Oh yeah! It's that good! 
Bubble Tea Boba Band Name.jpg
Spoiler
The sheet is gloriously thin, adhering beautifully to my face, and offering that second skin feel that I love. Fit was not bad at all, with the only element being off, for me being the overall width of the mask which was extra wide on both sides, at the temples definitely but also along the lower half of my face. Many sheet masks that I've picked up or have been gifted like this one, have been surprisingly large overall. I'm pretty sure my face hasn't gotten significantly smaller so I wonder if there's just been a change in industry standard for what constitutes a "standard size" for sheet masks. I've been noticing this to be the case with masks from Korean, Taiwanese and American brands so I wonder if there is a change to industry standard or if it's just been a coincidence that the masks I've used recently have all been larger than usual. Hmmm... ๐Ÿค”

The clear, watery essence has a delicious scent that is perfectly on point with brown sugar bubble tea. Brava, Annie's Way; brava!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ There's a ton of essence in the sheet and in the packet. While thin, it was not at all runny, absorbed quickly and easily, and without tack or stickiness, even as I continued to press and pat the excess essence into my skin after removing the mask. The mask claims to balance, nourish and smooth skin. I wasn't feeling particularly oily or dry when I reached for the mask so I can't speak to its balancing claims, but my skin sure did look and feel soft, smooth, well hydrated and nourished, with a subtle luminosity to it. This was is definitely a Winner for me, and hugely repurchase-worthy. This is probably my favorite among the line of Bubble Tea masks from this brand. 
W for Wonjin and wowza!
W - Wonjin Energy.jpg
Spoiler
The clear, lightly fragranced essence is in abundance in the thin Mediseal sheet of the Wonjin Effect Energy Supplement Mask, and has a slightly runny consistency - not so much that it makes for an uncomfortable with it dripping everywhere, but it has much less viscosity to it than most sheet masks. The runniness I think makes it easy to press and pat into the skin so that absorption is quick and smooth, without tack or stickiness. My skin looked more plump, with a demi matte but radiant finish and felt wondorously hydrated. Wonderously. By all appearances, this is a no frills masks. Its beauty truly lies in how amazingly well it performs. It's definitely a repurchase and I can see how, unless I just have a completely different experience with it on the next go around, this will soon fall into the "favorite masks" category. I love this mask and plan to look for a box to purchase the next time I'm shopping for sheet masks. It really is that good!

@itsfi  I am loving the theme of this masking trio! How did I not know Annieโ€™s way makes more than just sheet masks! I mean who can turn down a snail party! Sounds like the scent was definitely off considering I normally love the scents of the sheet mask line. Iโ€™m not sure about the removal process. Scraping it off is not overly appealing to me. But a warm wash cloth sounds a bit more comfortable. I love that you kept up with Annieโ€™s way mashup and used the brown sugar one! Iโ€™m happy it preforms well and had a great scent! The Wonjin mask sounds lovely! I think a simple one is needed sometime! 

21,367 Replies
testing