cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

34814C30-8453-4F11-B503-B8290A8D2FAB.gif

Welcome to the 2022 Mask of the Week Challenge! We love hearing about every masking experience, on or off-theme, and suggestions are always welcome.

This Week’s Theme:⏰ 5 Minute & Under Wonders

Letters of the Month: E - I

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge:
Current Thread (Archived Schedule Below)

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masksπŸ’—

Re: πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

@itsfi 

Too bad about the mini fridge but by the sound of it, you got some good use with it. 

@elleb810, it really did a nice job. 😁 I'm realizing now that the 3 years was longer than most get with their mini fridges. 

Okay. This is more of an ask for suggestions. As in my previous post I last went back to the LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask with Squalane 2.3 oz/ 70 mL  because I can always rely on it not to react or feel greasy and feel light.

My current night cream/mask is Klairs Midnight Blue and Laneige. I don’t plan on buying a new cream until I finish this giant tube. But I’m running low on my sleeping mask. It’s been a while since I bought one. I know I like the Glow Recipe Watermelon. But I am not in the mood. I’m running out and it’s closing in on purchase time. 

I mean these two are a make my face baby soft combo right now. But… I want to change the night mask up!

image.jpg

 

@Weetart 

I'm always down for baby soft skin. I'll have to remember this combination. 

@Weetart, I just noticed from your tag of the the Laneige sleeping mask, that it seems like Laneige has reformulated its original version. The tag references it containing squalane and I didn't recall that being an ingredient in the original version so I did some sleuthing on the internet and it looks like the original sleeping mask is being, or has been, reformulated. Interesting. 

Laneige makes a version of the sleeping mask with cica that is very nice - LANEIGE Hypoallergenic Cica Sleeping Mask. There's a deluxe sample of the cica version available through the Rewards Bazaar at the moment for 100 points. 

Here are other sleeping masks that I like; many of these are more geared towards dry or very dry skin so the formulation may be too heavy for you (if I'm remembering right, you have combo skin, right? These may work in the wintertime for you):

Algenist GENIUS Sleeping Collagen 2 oz/ 60 mL 

Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz/ 59 mL 

GLAMGLOW THIRSTYMUDβ„’ 24-Hour Hydrating Treatment Face Mask - I like using this as an overnight mask; the consistency is light enough too that it could work nicely for non-dry skin types.

Origins Drink Upβ„’ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/ 75 m... 

CosRX makes a couple of good overnight masks - CosRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice Mask and CosRX Ultimate Moisturizing Honey Overnight Mask. Both are good. Tagging @quspork for more info on the CosRx masks.

@itsfi @Loretta55 @eshoe @Kim888 @lmaster and sorry if I missed someone. Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already tried them all and was disappointed. Everyone has good things to say about them but they just, eh, don't compare. I end up just waiting until I finish the container then go back to the same old one. LOL There is one night mask I have been considering, belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask 2.53 oz/ 75 mL . Considering a sample. Whenever it pops up.

@Weetart, I’ve used that one a few times now and it’s good. It’s not quiet enough for my skin this time of the year but I think it may be a better fit in the warmer months. Keeping fingers crossed that there’s a promo gwp soon. 

@Weetart @I second @itsfi suggestion for trying the LANEIGE Hypoallergenic Cica Sleeping Mask  - it’s probably my favorite sleep mask and it’s significantly better than their water one imo! I also do think the Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz/ 59 mL is great as well

Oh and thanks @Loretta55  for your review. That is one I haven’t sampled and have heard many say they love it. I wonder, can samples be given in store again yet? 

@Weetart I'll chime in on the LANEIGE Hypoallergenic Cica Sleeping Mask I bought a FS after trying it out as a sample

I am not sure about in store samples @Weetart. At this point I plan on avoiding all crowded areas due to the Covid surge. The deluxe size would last you about a month.

Thanks for the suggestions! @itsfi  and it appears I linked the wrong mask… and was surprised once I read about it as well. I just assumed the blue container was the one I used and didn’t bother looking closely. Interesting.

Yes you are correct about my having the oily side of combo skin. I also have a lot of creams I must put on different patches of my face. Hence why I aim for only hydration for my cream and mask. 

@Weetart Just wanted to chime in about a couple of the ones @itsfi (thank you for the tag!) suggested. I do really like the original Laneige sleeping mask since I tend towards oily/dehydrated skin. It's light and sinks in well but is so nice for that extra boost of hydration. As far as the Laneige masks, I've used that one, the lavender one, and the cica one. I would absolutely repurchase the original, probably wouldn't repurchase the lavender but would use it if I came across it, but wouldn't use the cica again. The formula for the cica version is different than the other two, more of a cream than a gel. It was too heavy for my skin, but I can see where others with drier skin would love it. All that said, my favorite sleeping mask (perhaps more than the OG Laneige) is the CosRx Honey one. I think their rice mask is technically the one they market towards oily skin but it just didn't do anything for me. The honey version however, is light and cosmetically elegant just like the Laneige and adds plenty of hydration and soothing. It's something I reach for often in the winter! 

I received a sample of Youth To The People Mini Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask 0.5 oz/ 15 mL  @Weetart  and I was very impressed with the results. The packet lasted me 3 days and I immediately ordered the full sized package. My skin looks very hydrated in the morning. This was an unexpected surprise because I was not looking for an overnight mask to add to my routine. 

The Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz/ 59 mL is a favorite of mine too, @Loretta55. @Weetart it is thicker but absorbs fast and doesn’t feel greasy. The Origins Mini Drink Upβ„’ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 1 oz/ 3... #is a near dupe in terms of scent/consistency and at a little friendlier price point, tooπŸ˜‰

I used these masks last week for the letter of the week part of the challenge (Y) and realized as I was taking notes on the masks and reading up on their claims and ingredients that all claim to provide some sort of well aging or anti-aging benefits, so another theme for this group of masks, unintended as it was. Also, another trait each of these masks have in common are that the essence in each is a form of a watered-down milky emulsion! 😍😍 A lovely surprise to each of my masking sessions.

Y is for yogurt, youth and Yehwadam x2.

Y masks (collage).png

tl;dr: A single use of a sheet mask typically isn't enough for me to speak to its well-aging / anti-aging claims and that's the case with each of these masks. That said, I loved that all contained a form of a watered-down milky emulsion essence and that each left my skin feeling soft, smooth, supple and with a dewy glow. As to be expected, some performed better than others - I experienced some tingling (but no redness) from the Beauty Pie and the Yehwadam Revitalizing masks and some redness where I placed the essence patches from the Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask.

Beauty Pie Uber Youth Multi-Peptide H-Collagen Sheet Mask

Spoiler
The openings for the eyes and mouth don't look super narrow but when I apply the Beauty Pie Uber Youth Multi-Peptide H-Collagen Sheet Mask to my face, I end up needing to do a fair bit of adjustments to the corners of both, to the length at the chin, and surprisingly, to the material at the philtrum, which kept sliding down over my upper lip more often than I cared for. Interestingly, I experienced some tingling off and on the entire time I had on the mask, but only at the high points of my cheeks. Nothing alarming but certainly noticeable. I left the mask on for the recommended 30 minutes and even then, there was A LOT of fresh, citrusy, bergamot scented, watered down milky-emulsion like essence remaining atop my skin. There was also quite a bit of tackiness as I pressed and patted all that excess essence into the skin.

That said, the results are where the mask shines - my skin was soft, felt moisturized and supple, and looked luminous - my complexion was glowing! Even my eyebrows were glistening from all the essence. Now, there is a good amount of tack that remains. I don't mind the tack but it is not going to be for everyone - I still felt a little tack after applying moisturizer and my foundation, which looked great - the radiance from the essence came through. This would make a great mask to use before applying makeup and/or for a special occasion or event. Thank you to @Tamara76  and @Sunnysmom for telling me about Beauty Pie. 

The Face Shop Yehwadam Revitalizing Mask:  

Spoiler
The fresh, lightly floral, herbal and mildly lotion-like scent of the milky essence in The Face Shop Yehwadam Revitalizing Mask sets a luxe, tranquil tone to start off the masking session. The softness of the material, possibly Bemliese, rests gently against the skinadhering beautifully to the contours of the face. As with most sheet mask, I need to take off an inch at the chin and jawline and make some slight incisions to the corners of the eye and mouth openings for a more tailored fit. 

I paused for a spell when a faint tingling around the perimeter of my face and brow bone persisted. A quick glance at the INCI list leads me to believe it might be the turmeric, as my skin has experienced varying degrees of tingling from products consisting of that ingredient. It was subtle but noticeable for the entire 20 minutes I had on the mask. No negative reaction became of it. There's a lot of extra essence in the packet; ordinarily, I'd layer more atop the mask to extend the wear time or save it to use as a toner or essence the next morning, but given the tingling I felt, I opted to apply it on my arms and legs instead and did not experience any tingling when I did so.  This single use of the Yehwadam mask is hardly enough to speak to the mask's "anti aging" claims, but my skin looked refreshed and felt lightly moisturized, with a supple bounce to it. 

Neogen Dermalogy Probiotics Relief Mask:  

Spoiler

This "Y" mask is based on the illustration on the lower right-hand corner of the packaging - the clusters of -Y-looking shapes seem like they are intended to be depictions of probiotics. I did some sleuthing to try to find some info to make that explanation less of a stretch and what do you know?! It looks like there's a good for you bifido-bacterium (used as probiotics) known as GI Jake that is ... you guessed it, shaped like a "Y". I don't know for certain if the probiotics in this sheet mask are of the GI Jake varietal but I think my "Y" mask is less of a stretch than I initially thought. Phew. I feel like someone here (maybe @Kim888) has used this Neogen Dermalogy Probiotics Relief Mask before?

Straight out of the packet I caught a scent that reminded me of a cross between a carbonated grape soda and a sweet grape candy - not quite what I would describe as a grape jolly rancher but along those lines. The essence has a rich but lightweight feel, with the consistency of a slightly viscous watered-down milky emulsion, and there's plenty of it, both in the mask and in the packet. It looked like there was enough extra that you could saturate another sheet.

This is an oddly shaped sheet - width-wise it's much narrower than most sheet masks, and on me, it was a perfect fit. Also narrow though were the openings for the eyes and mouth - almost so narrow that if I didn't make a few incisions here and there, those parts of my face would have felt squished. Most sheet masks are too long at the chin / jawline for my face shape and this one was extra long - slightly more than 2-1/2" too long. But that's what my hard-working pair of mini scissors are for, right?!

Results-wise, I was very pleased with this mask. My skin felt nourished after 30 minutes of wear, with a nice bounce to it. With just the one use, I can't speak to the anti-aging claims, but this one felt soothing and left my complexion looking noticeably brighter, more radiant. This seems like a mask well suited for those with dry, very dry or dehydrated skin, and one that would work well both to unwind after a long day or to use to prep skin before makeup application.

The Face Shop Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask:  

Spoiler
The 2-step Yehwadam Brightening Nourishing Facial Mask from The Face Shop consists of 4 essence patches and your traditional sheet mask.  The essence patches are dots that are a little larger in size as the Peace Out Acne Dots but a lot thinner; the patches here feel almost paper thin, which makes sense as they are intended to dissolve into the skin. I placed them over a couple of sunspots / dark spots near my eye. I didn't find traces of the spots after I removed the sheet masks which leads me to believe they did dissolve!

Step 2, the sheet looks and feels like microfiber - soft, silky, white-hued that has a little more density to it than the standard cotton sheet mask. It holds a ton of essence, to the point where it does drip, though not much, from the sheet both coming out of the packet and when applied. The essence itself looks like a watered-down milky liquid with medium viscosity; the consistency actually feels more like a light serum than an essence. There's a light, pleasant scent - a blend of floral and herbs that I find to be really quite lovely; the scent was soothing. Adherence is good and fit width-wise is great for my face shape. The openings for the eyes and mouth are on the narrow side and there's a handful of adjustments needed there and at the chin and jawline for a better overall fit. 

The mask wore comfortably and after removing the sheet, my skin had that post-sheet mask glassy dewiness to it. Results with this mask are mixed for me - the parts of my face where I applied the patches were red the next morning, the red that signals irritation. I'm not sure if this was due just to the patches themselves or a combination of the ingredients in those patches and the skin in that area being more delicate and sensitive. The rest of my face, on the other hand, looked soft, smooth, more clear and brighter in tone. Given these results, I would be interested in using this mask again, though I would probably test out the patches on an area that is not sensitive to see if any redness results. An experiment for another day. 

My lip care routinwith the masking sessions were good and much needed this time of the year. It's a reminder to up (and keep up) a solid lip care routine. Bite Beauty Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub 0.7 oz/ 20 g (gratis) LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Berry 

Interesting about the turmeric in TFS mask causing a bit of a tingling sensation, @itsfi. Happy to hear that it was limited to that only. That is the second time I have been reminded here to use up that Bite, better get on it!

@eshoe, I wouldn’t have expected that except that I’ve experienced it with other sheet masks that have included turmeric. It could be a coincidence and maybe my skin was just particularly sensitive on those occasions? In any event, the tingling was minor and not persistent. 

@itsfi oh oh oh milky emulsion?? Yes yes!! 

Yes @lmaster! 😍 I was giddy when I opened these masks up and saw the formula / type of essence in each mask. The milky, emulsion like ones are fantastic! I wish more brands would identify on the packaging, the type of essence included in the mask, like what Innisfree and Etude House do with some of their sheet mask lines. It would make it easier to scoop up sheet masks by the handfuls. πŸ˜‚ 

@itsfi 

Lots of anti-aging masks here. I haven't heard of some of these brands.

18,340 Replies
testing