Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  I agree. I also love this mask! It is usually my Saturday mask but I didnโ€™t get to use it on the weekend. Thank you for your kind words on my picture! I am trying to get as good as you!!

@ather, itโ€™s been a while since SF released a mask; I wonder if they have anything in the works or if the 3 that they have is what theyโ€™re good with for the time being. oh my goodness, thatโ€™s sweet of you to say but I could never capture the angles like you did here. Itโ€™s a fab shot!

A little different reporting format for me this week. One of my cousins was in town with her daughters for the Halsey concert this weekend. The venue is about 20 minutes from our place so I joined them and we had a girls night out while my husband and daughter had some daddy-and-me-time. The girls had a spa night at the house and we used this vital hydrating sheet mask Friday night. 
drjartvital.JPG

This is one of my favorite sheet masks. It's doused in a ton of serum and most of the time I wring out the extra and set it aside in a jar to use throughout the week. It makes my skin plump and hydrated instantly and lasts for a decent amount of time. The consensus among the girls was that this was a nice mask good after their day of travel. Even the younger ones with oilier prone skin liked it.

What a great night of fun, @missy94612 - and topped with masking, too! Could not ask for anything better โ˜บ๏ธ

The mask sounds great!! A girls night of fun sounds great too๐Ÿคฉ @missy94612 

@missy94612 ohhhh what a fun night!!

@missy94612  This is such a great mask! I always bring it with me when travelling! I even wear it on the plane (pre covid)

@ather 

That's a great idea - I'll have to send my husband off with one of these the next time he travels for work. He won't wear it on the plane but will use it one of the nights he is away.

Such a good one for a boost of hydration, @missy94612!

@missy94612, oh, this is a good hydrating mask!

Spotlight Ingredient: Rice 

V - Vecua Spa Rice Milk Extract.jpg

This rice-centered masking sesh, consisting of a sheet mask boasting the inclusion of 7 kinds of rice, and a DIY rice milk hair mask, has been in my weekly rotation for the last 5-6 weeks. Hadn't thought of it for any theme in particular, but I put the little noggin to work and this masking sesh has V for Vecua and vitamins all over it. Specific vitamins in rice include vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, K and E

Sheet Mask:  
Spoiler
This Vecua Spa Rice Milk Extract mask pack contains 7 sheet masks that can be used for daily masking. The sheet is made of 100% Japanese cotton, which is thicker than the typical Korean sheet mask but still feels soft and adheres well to the skin. Fit is overly large all around the perimeter. The openings for the mouth and eyes are wide enough that no adjustments were required. These sheets include eye flaps for those so inclined to use them. 

Each sheet is coated, but not heavily saturated in the slightly viscous, unscented essence that is said to contain, among other things, 7 kinds of rice. While the amount of essence was not at all overwhelming, these sheets seem to contain more essence than other Japanese sheet mask packs I've used. Not a complaint, just an observation.

My skin feels lightly hydrated as expected of a daily mask, but also slightly moisturized and plump, which I very much liked. My preference for daily sheet masks skews heavily in favor or Korean sheet masks, but this Japanese mask pack is a repurchase-worthy daily sheet mask for me.
DIY Rice Milk Hair Mask:
Spoiler
This was a first for me and I thought it would be onerous and messy but it was actually fairly easy peasy. I found a simple recipe on YT - all I needed was organic (pesticide and chemical free) rice, water, a blender, bowl, strainer, bottle and large bucket, bowl or basin (to catch any excess or overflow, and reuse) - I used a condiment bottle as it made it easy to distribute the product throughout my hair and I didn't have to worry about handling glass in the shower or over the sink. 

After making the rice water / rice milk hair mask, I pour the liquid over hair and scalp, fully covering my head and all my hair. Then lightly massage the liquid into my scalp and ends. I left the product in my hair for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off. I did this once per week for about a 5 or 6 weeks. My hair felt soft, looked healthy and shiny and I thought that on the days I didn't wash my hair, it was less oily than it otherwise might be.

Very interesting DIY project, @itsfi. Love the use of the condiment bottle for even distribution, too.  

@eshoe, I really became interested in rice based products after using the Iโ€™m From Rice Toner and liking how my skin looked and felt after finishing a bottle. The rabbit holes ๐Ÿ•ณ we find ourselves going down. ๐Ÿ˜† This one happened to have some great results ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผand a way to repurpose extra empty condiment bottles that I donโ€™t recall purchasing one of, let alone two. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚ It did come in handy. ๐Ÿ™‚

You mean you end up with multiples of things in other categories besides beauty, @itsfi, and have no idea how? I think it is safe to say you would be prepared no matter what the emergencyโ€ฆfood, beauty, or otherwise ๐Ÿ˜‚

This is so different. Sounds terrific @itsfi ๐Ÿฅฐ

@Cissy63, it was different than what Iโ€™m used to, which was fun. Itโ€™s fairly simple but I still watched the YT video a bunch of times before actually trying it out. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi 

I remember my mom and gran making their own rice water face and hair rinses. I should try doing it myself.

@nuinui933, I love that. Did you do rice hair rinses along with your mom and grandma? My hair was soft and shiny. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ If you end up doing a rinse yourself, Iโ€™d love know how it goes. 

@itsfi 

I did them sometimes. I was a tomboy growing up and not at all into things like that but my gran and mom would also include me and I'd do it because I had to. That stuff was all lost on me but I want to give it a try now. I will let you know for sure.

@itsfi - interesting! I never really think of rice as a skin care ingredient but I do love oatmeal as an ingredient so I guess itโ€™s not that far off! Glad you found the mask hydrating and plumping !

@Kim888, I had heard about rice as skincare and had tried a couple of rice sheet masks but I didnโ€™t start to really give it more attention until I went through a bottle of the Iโ€™m From Rice Toner. Itโ€™s now one of the skincare ingredients that will catch my eye if I see a rice-based skincare product. Great, one more thing to be distracted by. ๐Ÿ˜† 

22 Replies
testing