Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I'm going to have to see if I have any of these left  @QueenMarceline I do remember liking them enough to buy multiple ๐Ÿคฃ

@lmaster They were truly great, not sure why these poofed away from us.

@QueenMarceline, that's great that this mask gave you beautiful glowy results! 

@itsfi It was super nice to get a winner, finally. It's always a shame that the high performing SC masks are usually limited edition.

@QueenMarceline Sounds like you had a nice relaxing masking session. Great idea on wearing before bed!

@Mellmars1185 Yes, it was quite nice ๐Ÿ™‚ only wish they would bring these back.

๐ŸŒนRoses are red ... or pink actually, in this rose centric masking sesh ๐ŸŒน

F for fruit (acai berry in the hair mask and pomegranate in the hydrogel) and floral (roses, lots of roses)  

H for hydration and hydrogel

F - flower (rose).jpg

tl;dr: The scattered rose pieces embedded in the 2-piece Sanctuary Spa Nourishing Rose Petal Hydrogel Mask makes for a pretty presentation, but was otherwise lackluster in terms of its performance and results, at least for someone with dry skin. The very mild hydration this unscented hydrogel provides may be better suited for those with oily, very oily or sensitive skin.

The tgin rose Water Hydrating Hair Mask and the Fresh Rose Petal-Soft Lip Cream, on the other hand, both contained a fresh rose scent, more prominent and noticeable in the lip balm than in the hair mask which had a more fruity but just as pleasant fragrance to it. While I wouldn't characterize either as providing the most hydration and moisturization among other similar  products in their respective categories, they each provided good results in keeping with their claims to add hydration to hair and lips.

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
The 2-pieces of the Sanctuary Spa Nourishing Rose Petal Hydrogel Mask contain pieces of rose petals scattered about the hydrogel, making for a very pretty mask. I expected there to be a rose scent to this mask but sadly, my nose didn't pick up any scent - nothing. I would have liked a soft, fresh, real rose petal scent but on the bright side, that means no possibility of a headache inducing overpowering scent. This hydrogel mask fits the size, shape and features of my face pretty well, but the piece that covered the philtrum kept sliding down and falling over my upper lip for the entire half hour I had on the mask. Not a deal breaker, just slighty inconvenient; the rest of the mask adhered very well.

I was looking forward to using this mask - I've had good experiences in the past with sheet masks from British brands. This one, however, left me wanting more - it was very lightly hydrating and left a noticeable and lingering tack. This too, is not a deal breaker for me as it becomes a non-issue once I follow up with the rest of my skincare products, but it was another thing to add to my disappointments with this mask. Womp, womp! Hydrogels are not necessarily known for being very hydrating but this one felt even less so, which left my skin, which is leaning more dry at the moment, wanting for more, but would possibly make a nice mask for those with oily or very oily skin who may not need, or like, a lot of hydration from a she mask. It is gentle so this may also be a good fit for those with sensitive skin. For me though, I felt like this mask had a lot of potential but fell short compared to other similar hydrogels in terms of its results, or perhaps I just hyped it up a little too much in my head?
F - flowers (roses) mask.jpeg

Hair Mask + Lip Care:

Spoiler
Although I was bummed that the hydrogel mask was unscented, the rose scents from the tried-and-true tgin rose Water Hydrating Hair Mask, which @lmaster introduced to this thread a year or so ago, and the fresh Rose Petal-Soft Deep Hydration Lip Balm 0.3 oz/ 10g more than made up for it. Both these beauties have been in my rotation for some time and I do enjoy them. The hair mask has a lightweight, gel-cream consistency, absorbs easily and has a sweet, fruity and rosy scent - the fruity berry scent is the more predominant scent but the fresh rose scent does come through, subtle though it may be. It's a nice combination. My hair feels soft and smooth and has a bit of movement to it.

The jar of Fresh lip balm packs a lot of product - and a lovely scented product, I might add. The consistency of the lip balm initally feels like a soft wax, but it moves easily over the lips and melts into something more emollient and mildly  nourishing as it makes contact with the warmth of my skin. This is a lightweight balm, with a scent that reminds me of fresh, soft rose petals. Ahhh... This balm isn't one I'd reach for in the evenings when I want to get in some extra moisture overnight, but it makes for a nice lip primer in the mornings.

This year is about working my way through my hair masks and lip masks / balms and these two are on the lists of products I'd like to use up before the year is up. I'm not sure whether I'd repurchase the hair mask - that has nothing to do with how the mask performs - it works very nicely and I like the results; I just have a bunch of hair masks and some longstanding favorites - the top ones have been at the tops for a while. As for the lip balm, I could see myself repurchasing another one but I won't really need to as I already have a backup (thank you @quspork!) 

@itsfi 

What a bummer that the mask didn't perform better; it's really such a pretty mask.

@missy94612, it would have been wonderful if it worked out - I know that everyone has  different experience with sheet masks so this could be a winner for someone else. Had it performed better and had a lovely rose scent, I would consider it gift worthy. ๐ŸŽ

@itsfi  The hydrogel is SOO pretty! It makes me even more sad that the results were unimpressive.๐Ÿ˜

Any time a philtrum strip is annoying me in any way, I just chop that sucker off. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Shosh85, that's how I felt about the hydrogel.So much potential. ๐Ÿ˜” It just heightened all its shortcomings. Sigh. Gotta not hype up sheet masks too much; don't want to set them up for failure. 

I need to remember that the next time the philtrum part of a sheet mask decides it doesn't like being the philtrum part of the sheet mask and wants to make itself the upper lip part of the sheet mask. Ha! I really should just snip it off and use it elsewhere. Making lots of 'notes to self' about that! Thank you!!!

@itsfi Is it odd that I feel disappointed in the Sanctuary mask for you?  The bits of rose petal in the mask just look so pretty that I found myself hoping it was better than that.  I guess my dry skin felt bad for yours lol.

Not odd at all @missjeanie! I appreciate your commiserating with me. ๐Ÿค— Hydrogels aren't at the top of my list when it comes to sheet mask material but lately the ones I've tried have been anywhere from not bad to oh, this is nice, so that coupled with my good  experiences with Korean-made sheet masks from UK brands, I think I may have gotten ahead of myself with this one. It wasn't bad so there's that; it just wasn't good either. A "meh" mask every now and then is a reminder to level set expectations.

A 'meh' makes the great ones stand out better @itsfi .  At least that's what I tell myself.

That is so true @missjeanie! And now, I'm going to start telling myself that as well! Though I not so secretly hope my 'meh' masks are few and far between. Of course, I'll take a 'meh' mask over an "ohhhh nooooo, never again" mask. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi That rose petal lip cream seems like something I would be interested in. Sounds like the rose petal mask is really unique. Sorry to hear it wasn't as good as you had hoped! 

@Mellmars1185, the rose petal

hydrogel mask just wasnโ€™t a good one for me, but hopefully it will be a good one for someone else. The Fresh rose lip balm is lovely - the scent reminds me of fresh rose petals, no artificial scent to it. ๐ŸŒน 

@itsfi you know, now that you mention it,, hydrogel masks really don't impress me much anymore, maybe once again the weather but I don't ever want to go run out and buy a hydrogel mask because I don't feel like the serum clings to the material like it does with other masks. However,, just the description of this one,, really intrigues me ๐Ÿ˜Š guess what??! I'm almost completely done with that tgin hair mask,,, I've been trying to "pan" and empty these hair masks,, after realizing I have far too many

@lmaster, hydrogels have their place but like you, they are not the material that I would seek out first. I've been pulling out a few hydrogels of late, which is odd because I actually don't remember picking up so many. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It would have been lovely if this one had worked out because the rose petals in the mask is pretty cool, but it saves me some $$ that I can use for other (probably non-hydrogel) masks.

That's awesome that you've almost worked your way through your tgin mask. You go, girl!! I hear you on trying to empty the hair masks you have - that's my goal for this year. I don't know how well I'll fare with that, but if I can at least get through all the DS and all the open / partially used full sizes, I'll consider it a victory, but that seems like a stretch goal, like a real stretch too! Somewhere along the way, I picked up waaaaay too many. Hahaha! 

@itsfi What a wonderful Rose-Themed masking session. ๐ŸŒน I started off thinking I was mostly interested in the Fresh Lip Cream (I much prefer the products in their rose-scented line opposed to their other "lemon sugar scented" stuff) however, after your review I think that hydrogel sheet mask sounds absolutely divine even though it didn't perform to your expectations. Petals in a mask?! Ugh yes please! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds so great, after my no buy is over I need to get my hands on this just to give it a shot. 

@QueenMarceline, the rose petals in the mask is a nice touch!  ๐ŸŒน I wish it would have worked for me, but hopefully it works for someone else. If you do pick it up after your no buy, let us know your thoughts on it.

1 Reply
testing