Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

I hope you enjoy it, @Shosh85!

mugwort always sounds like it should be a harry potter potion ingredient and not something from real life to me haha 

@quspork glad this worked out for you! It sounds like a good one!

So true, @Kim888 ๐Ÿ˜† I do love the ingredient though! 

@quspork, I agree, I like this line of sheet masks a lot as well. I haven't gone through the entire collection but of the ones I've tried, they've been either likes or like-a-lot. The mugwort variety is on my list of ones to try; great to hear it provides good hydration and is one you'd repurchase. Or that you would if there wasn't that teeny issue of oversupply. ๐Ÿ˜‚

If only we had more faces to mask, @itsfi ... could get thru that supply much easier, haha!

It's time for a duel of pearl-y brightening masks, a la JMsolution, a brand I have become more familiar with over the last year and that I have yet to find a sheet mask within its collection to be disappointed with. ๐Ÿ˜ 

D - Duel + B - brightening.jpg

Which 3-step pearl brightening mask is better?

Spoiler
Mask:JMsolution Marine Luminous Black Pearl Balancing MaskJMsolution Luminous Pearl Deep Moisture Mask
Claim(s):Balancing, brightening and moisturizingBrightening and moisturizing
Material:Soft, thin-leaning, black charcoal mask (binchotan charcoal) Thinner leaning, with gauze-like pattern
Adherence:GoodGood
Fit:Pretty good - openings for eyes and mouth are a decent size, but incisions needed to help material lie flatStandard at width and length; needed to make slight incision to inner corner of the eye openings to help prevent essence from falling into eyes and also to help material lie flat against skin
Essence:Consistency is between a watery essence and a serumWatery
Scent:Light, cream-like scentNone
Viscosity:Good: not runny but not goopy.Very light
Performance (30 minutes): Sheet feels soft against skin; essence absorbs quicklySheet feels cool and refreshing against the skin
Results:Skin feels cleansed but not tight after Step 1.

After the sheet mask, skin looks more clear and bright, and feels soft and well hydrated. 

After applying cream, skin feels moisturized and nourished.
There's a slight filmy feeling after applying Step 1. 

Skin feels hydrated and complexion is glistening after removing the sheet mask and pressing in the excess essence.

The last step, eye cream, absorbs pretty well considering it leans more on the thicker side.
Notes regarding Other Steps:Step 1: Marine Deep Pore Cleansing Foam - pearlescent silver grey in color, heavily fragranced - perfume, slightly floral. Skin feels thoroughly cleansed but not stripped or tight.

Step 3: Marine Bright Cream: scented - has a bit of a clay scent to it, quickly dissipates. Consistency is rich and thick, but not heavy. Skin feels happily moisturized.
Step 1: Marine Waterfull Essence - the consistency is more of a gel / ampoule and is actually thicker than the essence in the sheet mask (Step 2). 

Step 3: Marine All Face Eye Cream - thicker leaning but not heavy. I used this as a moisturizer and not just for my under eye area.
Best Suited For:The first 2 steps are suitable for most skin types; those with sensitive or dry skin will not want to use this too frequently. Step 3 is a wonderfully moisturizing cream that could work for all during the winter months. It would be great for those with dry or very dry skin for most of the year. All skin types. Those with oily or very oily skin might be able to forego moistruizer. 
Love, Like, Lackluster or Loathe?:Like all 3 steps, but need to use the cleansing foam (Step 1) sparingly on the drier parts of my faceLike (the sheet mask); the other steps I consider Lackluster
Repurchase?:Yes. This combination of steps in a 3-step pack is probably my favorite. I like the sheet mask, love the cream. The cleanser is nice, but better suited for my skin in the warmer months.Probably not, but the sheet mask is something I would consider repurchasing if it was sold separately. I'm not super keen on the other 2 steps in this multi-step mask pack.

I was happy with both 3-step mask packs overall, but my preference is for the black pearl mask.

@itsfi  

I always love seeing your comparisons and your charts are amazing! 

Fabulous reviews!! @itsfi I was leaning towards the black pearl version myself

@lmaster, thank you! ๐Ÿ˜€ The black pearl is such a nice mask; I think you'd like all the steps too! I'm a smidge concerned that it is harder to source than the white pearl pack. ๐Ÿค” I'll choose to be glass-half full on it but if I hear it's been discontinued ... ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ž

@itsfi What a great comparison.  I have a few three step masks and I really need to get back at them!  Interesting to see that the 3 steps aren't the same categories in both masks that seem to be so similar in marketing. 

@missjeanie, when all the steps of a 3-step mask pack work, I feel like it's a bit of a gift - I can just reach for that when I need or want an easy peasy skincare routine, with a sheet mask, too! Oooh, you hae some 3-step masks in your stash? Fun! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them and whether you have a favorite.

@itsfi yes! I only a few scattered 3 steps kicking around. I think Iโ€™m more of a one n done gal overall, mind youโ€ฆ if I found that unicorn of a maskโ€ฆ.

@missjeanie, not sure if youโ€™ve tried enough 3-step masks to have strong feelings one way or another but do you have a preference for what is included in the other 2 steps?

@itsfi I really havenโ€™t at this point. I feel like if I were to design my ideal 3 step, it would be exfoliation step either a good scrub or the swab chemical style (I love you Murad  mask), nourishing/moisturizing/replenishing two piece microfibre mask, followed by a crazy moisturizing cream to follow up.  Have you figured out your ideal set up? 

@missjeanie, hmmm... I don't know if I have a hands down favorite combo at the moment but I do know that I'm not a huge fan of including an eye cream - if it includes those eye gel patches, I'd be more interested. The cleanser in this 3-step pack was nice and my skin enjoyed it but cleansers can be a bit iffy for me in multi-step packs like this. I think an essence or ampoule as the first step, followed by a sheet mask and then a moisturizing cream, overnight mask or oil as the last step would be a combination I'd like very much.  

@itsfi The inclusion of eye gels would be something interesting to see! I agree on eye cream.  I'm so sporadic on my use of eye cream to start with.  

@missjeanie, I hear that! Iโ€™m horrible with using eye creams regularly. On the one hand, Iโ€™m not entirely sure a moisturizer wouldnโ€™t address any under eye concerns. On the other hand, how do I know use of it wouldnโ€™t be helpful as a preventative measures? Iโ€™m not getting younger. I included an eye cream that I like as part of my project plan this year with the idea that I would put it to use more consistently and therefore, be able to monitor and track any progress or improvement. Lemme just say that this has only confirmed that I donโ€™t reach for eye creams regularly. ๐Ÿ˜‚ And now, this is a reminder that today is a good day to start using it regularly. ๐Ÿ˜ Try harder, Fi! 

One of my favorite multi-step mask packs is a 2-step snail mask ๐ŸŒ with under eye gels as one step and a sheet mask as the others. That was a good mask! โ™ฅ๏ธ

@itsfi I feel exactly the same way about them!  Couldn't have summed it up any better. 

@itsfi  I always love reading your comparisons! Based off your review, the Black Pearl sounds like the one I'd like more too. Glad they both turned out nice ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, ahhh, thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š I like comparing similar masks. It's great to see how they perform vis-a-vis each other. The black pearl sheet mask was really nice and I was happy that I liked the results from the other 2 steps as well, which isn't always the case. The Julep 3-step mask pack was one of my go-to mask packs for work travel but since that's discontinued, this JMsolution black pearl mask will happily take its place when work travel resumes. This would also be a good one for weekend trips or one-day trips. Makes packaging easy-peasy and what is not to like about that?! 

Love this comparison, @itsfi. Those multi-step masks can be tricky when one step really outshines the others. 

1 Reply
testing