Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Omg I love your hair ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

@Sheerink @eshoe thank you both!  

Ha, I get that, @CookieGirl1! This one does seem like it takes a little more elbow grease to really get all of it off. 

@quspork Good grief, yes.  I hadn't ever tried that one before but wow...

@eshoe I hope you enjoyed your masking time! Thanks for the pictures!

@Mellmars1185 thank you, it is something I look forward to every day!

Nom Nom 

Spoiler
Got my hands on the bologna mask haha! 

like @Shosh85 I found the fit on this mask too narrow, it was definitely too small all the way around. I also found it unscented without any extra serum. 

I did not find the after effects tacky which is good, but it was definitely not enough hydration for me during the winter months. I think I would enjoy this as an after sun cooling mask; it felt comfortable while on. 

5116617F-78DA-4AE5-86F2-88C520A74E69.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Kim888 this is the best I swear,,, gotta give it to bologna!!

@Kim888  Omg those bite holes!  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿ˜‚. I am more than mildly relieved itโ€™s unscented and so amused they included the โ€˜ONE maskโ€™ where they normally put the nutrition content on their packaging! 

3BDCF86F-506D-4AB9-9298-98FFB82C23AF.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Kim888 I love the review... but I just can't past the wonderful marketing and laugh I get every time I see this one! 

@missjeanie it was definitely the most unique marketing Iโ€™ve seen in a while! 

Given your idea for using this as a summer mask, @Kim888, it sounds like one to keep in the fridge for even better results ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Love seeing the experiences with this mask, @Kim888 

@Kim888 So happy to see more people getting these, they literally make me lol. I think based on the reviews my fomo is going away a bit. I'm on a no buy this month but this mask looked so fun to try, for now I'll be living vicariously through the BIC with this one. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Kim888  Yay! You tried it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I have the same feelings about it - it's fun to try, but it's nothing spectacular results-wise. I agree it might be better to try in the summer. It definitely wasn't as bad as I prepared myself for it to be ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ A - B - C easy as 1 - 2 - 3 ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ

ABC + 123.jpg

This was a fun group of masks to use throughout the month of January, inspired by The Jackson 5's A B C ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽถ and in keeping with a few of the January challenge themes.

Spoiler
Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water is an ultra creamy, super rich, emollient, and moisturizing mask bearing a pleasant, fresh, somewhat tropical fruity scent. This gel-cream has a certain weight to it without feeling heavy, spreads easily, and leaves a slight sheen on the skin once absorbed. It feels cooling and refreshing, and leaves skin feeling softer, smoother, hydrated and more plump the next morning. This is best suited for those with dehydrated, dry or very dry skin, but it also makes a great in-flight mask for all skin types - slather it on before take-off and by the time the plane touches ground at its destination, your skin will look refreshed, plump, and with a healthy, fresh-faced glow.
Spoiler
The lightweight, jelly-like consistency of belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask applies easily on the skin and feels soothing and refreshing. It has a faint citrus and herbal scent that those familiar with belif products will find familiar - that signature belif scent, if you will. The product absorbs quickly and smoothly, without tack or stickiness, and leaves skin feeling soft, hydrated and bouncy overnight. This sleeping mask is suitable for all skin types, those with normal-to-oily skin might be able to use this as an evening moisturizer in all but the winter months, while those with dry or dehydrated skin will likely need to layer this in their skincare routine, over their moisturizer, an oil, or both.
Spoiler
The rich, creamy but neither greasy nor heavy formula of the Laneige Cica Sleeping Mask feels soothing and nourishing on the skin. It works wonderfully to calm redness, soften and moisturize skin overnight, making it ideal for those with sensitive, dry or dull skin. The original Laneige water sleeping mask was my introduction to overnight masks. Laneige has had for some time 3 different varieties of its sleeping mask - the original hyaluronic acid based mask, a lavender-scented version, and this one. Very recently, Laneige launched a new variety, one centered on squalane. This cica version has been my favorite to date and while I will try out the newest squalane focused version, I have a feeling that my loyalties will remain with the cica variety.
1 - LuLuLun One Mask with Micro Oil
Spoiler
The thicker leaning cotton sheet of the LuLuLun One Mask with Micro Oil is heavily coated in an unscented, creamy, emollient essence that feels nourishing just sitting on the skin. About a minute into having the mask on, the more sensitive parts of my face experienced a light tingling for a very brief period of time. The creamy goodness feels like a treat and after having the mask on for about 35-40 minutes and pressing in the excess essence that remains, skin feels well hydrated, calmed and more plump, and looks radiantly dewy. This is an excellent mask for dry or very dry skin, or for all skintypes in the winter who are in need of some extra moisturizing. This is one I would happily repurchase; in fact, I'm wondering whether LuLuLun carries this mask in a daily mask pack. 
2 - Cocochi 2-Step AG Ultimate Mask Gold
Spoiler
Cocochi 2-step AG Ultimate Mask Gold includes an essence (Step 1) that to me, looks and feels more like a cream but once applied, softens into more of a lotion essence consistency, and a thin-leaning, but slightly sturdier feeling sheet mask saturated in an unscented, slightly viscous, serum-like essence (Step 2). 

The openings for the eyes and mouth are very small and narrow and adjustments are required not simply for a tailored fit, but to keep the essence from getting too close to or falling into the eyes or mouth. I noticed some light tingling on my cheek area, the most sensitive part of my face, once I had on the mask. The tingling was noticeable enough for me to monitor it more closely than I otherwise would, but it did not last enough to cause me concern or  make me consider removing the mask. 

My skin felt lightly hydrated and moisturized after an half hour with this mask and there's a fresh-faced brightness that I have come to expect from most sheet masks. While there's an ever slight tack that remains after the essence has been fully absorbed, it becomes undetectable once you follow up with the next steps in your skincare routine. What impressed me most about the mask is how my skin looked and felt the next morning - I was really surprised to see how much more clear and bright my complexion looked. I have been experiencing some redness on my cheeks and nose the last week but it looked reduced around my nose and nearly imperceptible on my cheeks - whaaaat?! My complexion looked brighter, more awake - that's not an uncommon result immediately after using a sheet mask, but this was a good 5+ hours later. 

This mask will be a nice one for those with normal, dry, very dry or dehdyrated skin. Folks with combination to oily skin might like this mask in the most brutal parts of the winter, or can make adjustments to it in the other months to make it work for them, including foregoing the first step, wringing out some of the essence before applying the mask to the face, or shortening the wear time.
3 - O'Hui Extreme Bright 3D Facial Mask
Spoiler
I was hoping not to like this mask, which meant there was a very good chance it would end up being a mask I love. 

O'Hui Extreme Bright 3D Facial Mask has a very unique shape - it's similar to the Beauty Pie masks but with eye flaps and without the long neck piece. It also reminded me of the Hannibal Lecter mask, but this O'Hui one covered the entire face, seems like it wears more comfortably, and is far better for the skin. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This soft, thin, black charcoal mask is intended to cocoon your face (but unlike the 23 Years Old masks, has an opening for the mouth, thankfully.  It's has a seam running vertically down the the middle of the face and the bottom cups the chin and jawline. The essence is clear, has the consistency of a light serum (neither runny nor goopy) with just enough viscosity to keep the essence from dripping everywhere, and a very light floral perfume scent, which I actually found pleasant; for some reason, 'honeysuckle' came to mind as I was trying to place the notes to the fragrance on this mask. It adheres exceptionally well and the only issue with fit for me was very minor in that it was on the wider side. Thirty minutes of wear yielded clearer, brighter, more hydrated, plump, and radiant skin. The slight tack that remains after removing the mask isn't bad and works well as a primer for makeup. At $10 a piece, it is not a mask I would use everyday, but given the results and the uniqueness of the mask, it's one that I would consider repurchasing (ideally on sale). 
Overall Thoughts:

SLEEPING MASKS
Spoiler
The Laneige Cica Sleeping Mask is my favorite of the bunch for its nourishing and calming properties; it's one that would be suitable for my skin (or, probably all skin types for that matter) year round. It's a product I consider a "love" and worthy of repurchase. The other two sleeping mask are also good - the Origins is great for the cooler seasons and makes an excellent in-flight skincare treatment; and the belif is one I think will perform beautifully in the warmer months when its gel texture will nicely hydrate the skin without being too heavy. All have a place in my masking library.
SHEET MASKS
Spoiler
Oh my goodness. When I put this group of sheet masks together, I was not expecting to like all of them as much as I do. If I had to pick one as the top mask of this group, I'd go with the LuLuLun One Mask with Micro Oil in the cooler seasons, the Cocochi 2-Step mask in the warmer ones and the O'Hui 3D mask for special occasions. Ha! So much for choosing one. 

@itsfi  

Where do you find all these sheet masks? I've only heard of the Lululun brand but haven't seen that mask before.

@itsfi  

The Laneige cica overnight mask is awesome; it really does calm my skin.

You deserve an award @itsfi for the best presentation tied into the theme!! 

@lmaster @itsfi 

I second this, so creative. Always. I've never heard of those sheet masks, but am adding a couple to my list of ones to try eventually.

Awww, that's very sweet of you to say @lmaster๐Ÿ˜š Masking is fun and masking with folks here even more so - and it helps my skin too. ๐Ÿ’– Being able to have a little creative outlet along the way is an added perk.

testing