Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi Yes! They sell it on the Sephora Canada site! I am looking forward to trying it!

Yaaaaay @Mellmars1185! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ›

@itsfi  The I'm From Honey Mask sounds so wonderful! I feel like a may have almost bought it once, or it also may be sitting an online cart somewhere ๐Ÿ˜‚ I will definitely have to remember this one!

@Shosh85, it makes my dry skin happy! ๐Ÿ˜ I'm also happy to see more mini / travel sizes of the I'm From products available for purchase on the AB online retail site. 

Hahaha! I know the feeling - I often find myself thinking I already have a product, but when I go to look for it, nothing. Then, some time later, it'll show up in a couple of shopping carts. ๐Ÿ˜

The honey mask sounds perfect for this time of year @itsfi !  Good to know about the Innisfree as well.  I found the Glamglow wasn't for me but it would be nice to have some alternates!

It's so nourishing to my skin @missjeanie๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ Speaking of alternatives to SuperMud, have you tried Origins Clear Improvementโ„ข Charcoal Honey Mask to Purify and Nourish 2.5 oz/ 75 mL? It's a good mask both decongesting pores and soothin and nourishing the skin. I can use that all over as well as a spot treatment for pesky pimples. It's the soothing and hydrating version of Origins Mini Clear Improvementโ„ข Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL

@itsfi I've used the older non-honey version, and wasn't impressed.  Haven't tried the newer version though.  I find Origins mask very hit and miss for me.  So far as my decongestant mask favourite is the Consonant DHE Mask 2.5 oz/ 74 mL .  Granted, it's not my go to mask type, so often if I have a spot pop up I'll use the Kate Somerville EradiKate 1 oz/ 30 mL  and call it a day.  That said... were I to come across a smaller version of the Origins I'd totally give the honey version a go.  

Consonant is a great brand @missjeanie! I havenโ€™t tried this mask but really enjoy the hydrating serum. I wish we had more access to it in the States. Good news, thereโ€™s the internet. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Better news, Iโ€™ve gotten pretty good at shopping online. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi lol... Resume skills! This is the only product of theirs I've tried yet, but now that you mentioned it, I do recall people enjoying the hydrating serum and I may need to pop it onto a list!

Hahaha @missjeanie! Gotta keep those skills sharp, right??!! ๐Ÿคช Iโ€™ve tried the HydrExtreme serum and the mask inspired by it. The serum is muuuuuch better, in my opinion. The serum has only 2 ingredients! Itโ€™s expensive but does work wonders on sensitive and dehydrated skin. ๐Ÿฅฐ Costco here carried it a while back and when I found out they would no longer carry it, I picked up a few because ummmโ€ฆ thatโ€™s what I did, I mean do; no, need to work on making it past tense. No more hoarding! Work in progress. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi I did pop in and put the serum on my loves list, while it is pricy... it looks like the rest of their products are remarkably less so.  I may have snuck their sheet mask on my list as well... you know... for after my hoard of masks is down lol.  AND... I don't blame you for stocking up.  Gotta grab Costco deals when you can!

@itsfi Honey is one of my favorite ingredients as well and that mask sounds awesome! How do you find it compares to the Farmacy one? 

@Kim888, great question. The I'm From Honey is thicker and more emollient than the Farmacy Honey Potion - I like the I'm From Honey mask better in the winter or when my skin is really dry or sensitive. The Farmacy masks warms up (love!) and has a little tingle, neither of which is present in the I'm From Honey mask. They both give me that cleansed, refreshed feeling and hydrated. I need to follow up with a moisturizer whenever I use the Farmacy Honey Potion. With the I'm From Honey mask, I do consider whether I should forego a moisturizer as it's pretty nourishing (more so than the Farmacy mask); as a matter of habit though, I use a light moisturizer afterwards especially in the wintertime.

@itsfi thank you - Iโ€™m definitely adding it to my list. I agree I usually need moisturizer after the Honey Potion  ! 

@Kim888, I've seen many of the AB online retailers stock mini versions of this mask - as an aside, I love it when there are minis or DS samples that are available for purchase. ๐Ÿ’— The DS has a pretty good amount of product and is a great way to try it out. ๐Ÿฏ

@itsfi Oooh, these all look lovely ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the Laneige mask in Vanilla and Berry. I'm looking forward to trying more flavors/scents out soon. That honey mask looks super good from your description, I'd love to try it out sometime.

@QueenMarceline, the honey mask feels so nourishing especially in the winter! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ 

I was inspired to do a little comparison earlier this week with the Aโ€™pieu Banana mask that @Shosh85  reviewsd and the Banana milk version of the mask, which lead to a comparison of three of the milk masks I had on hand.  This was a fun little break from using up expired masks!  

IMG_1912 2.jpg

Spoiler

JayJun Green Tea eye gels - these are starting to show their age.  I opened the container mid summer of last year and found that they slid around on my face a lot so when I was temporarily moved for workโ€ฆ I did not bring them with me and only just dove back into them recently.  As theyโ€™ve aged, the serum has gotten thicker, whichโ€ฆ yesโ€ฆ theyโ€™re aging, but had been a delight because they now stay where I put them.  These are no miracle eye gels, my dark circles are still there with sign of leaving after decades.  I am however using my retinoid near my eyes.  I knowโ€ฆ rebel.  So I do feel like these and any other eye gel, are a way to inject some moisture back into my under eye area.  Would I purchase againโ€ฆ if I caught a sale, yes.  Do I prefer sticker eye patches and trying new things, more likely.

PTR Rose Stem Cell Mask - I use this mask in two ways.  1.  In the morning Iโ€™ll slap on a layer right when I wake up and let it sit on my skin for the first 20 minutes of life before I do a rinse and start in on my skincare.  I havenโ€™t been cleansing my skin as much in the mornings lately and more so giving a splash of water with a cloth so this I feel gives my skin a good dose of hydration while I undo all that work with a pot or two of coffee.  I have noticed that when I do this, my face looks a bitโ€ฆ brighter and more awake.  While I am not drawn to rose scents this one is minimal and I donโ€™t notice it at all once Iโ€™ve got it on.  2.  I use this as a sleeping mask.  I use a much thinner layer right before bed over all my other skincare.  It sinks in nicely and doesnโ€™t leave me with tacky skin as Iโ€™m about to smash my face into a pillow for 6 to 7 hours. This mask claims to help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinklesโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not gonna say itโ€™s executing that, but I will say that I think it certainly adds to my skincare routine and probably helps with that as much as I expect it to.  Would I buy this again, probably not in this size, though I would consider a smaller version at some point in life again.  This goes for most of the 5oz PTR tubs.  Iโ€™ve discovered that I like to discover new things and a 5oz mask like this is more than I need in one shot.

Kate Somerville Wrinkle Warrior - Kโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just over 40 now, and I want to look and feel like Iโ€™m still in my 20โ€™s.  Call me a sucker for a name.  This mask is a โ€œpink plumping maskโ€.  While Iโ€™d like to unplump certain areas of my body, I do like the idea of plumping up my skin with moisture.  The directions say to apply it to moist skin, and Iโ€™ve been using this as my morning mask much in the same vein as the PTR Rose mentioned above.  If nothing else the โ€˜wrinkle warriorโ€™ name makes me feel like Iโ€™m battling the signs of getting older.  It does also give me that brighter more awake look in the mornings that I do not come by naturally.  Iโ€™m likely to keep working a mask into my mornings like this while I can time wise (i.eโ€ฆ. While I work from home) as I appreciate the results and the motivation to be a warrior.  The pretty pink goo is a nice touch as well โ€ฆ becauseโ€ฆ pretty pink goo. I had to go back and stick my nose right into the product to see if it had any scent as I didnโ€™t recall oneโ€ฆ itโ€™s pretty much what Iโ€™d call a low level skincare scent, you really need to get your nose right into the jar to smell anything.

Sarah Happ Lip mask โ€” Iโ€™m still trudging along with this.  My lips are plumped after I remove the mask, though I attribute that to the vigorous washcloth action thatโ€™s needed to remove it more so than the mask itself.  

Boo Bamboo Bamboo Fiber Charcoal Sheet Mask โ€” This was a nice soft 100% bamboo material, black in colour.  It did not however feel quite as soft as the last bamboo mask I did that I think* was actually from The Cream Shop.  The mask itself said to wear for 10-20 minutes and I had it on about 15 minutes.  Iโ€™m not super keen on a lot of coconut in my skincare these days, as much as I love the scent, as Iโ€™ve found that coconut oil can be a trigger for breakouts.  This mask didnโ€™t last longer as it had a bit of an โ€˜offโ€™ scent to it.  Do masks go sour?  To itโ€™s credit this did expire in 2019.  Overall not a mask Iโ€™d repurchase, but I would try others from the brand. My skin did feel fine after this and no breakouts to reportโ€ฆ so while the scent was off, it still did a little hydrating.

Aโ€™pieu Sweet Banana Sheet Mask โ€” This was the mask that Shosh reviewed last week and her banana runts scent description was the kicker for me to pull it out.  Itโ€™s got a great fake banana scent that I love.  To me, it was a bit more like those marshmallow bananaโ€™s that we used to buy with penny candy for 5cents.  Overall a wonderful scent.  The mask material was not listed in English but it was quite nice, formed to my face easily and held a good bit of serum in it.  I had the mask on for about a half hour, maybe a bit longer and I easily could have left it another 10 minutes.  My skin looked nice and bright after use and I massaged in all the serum left on my face it dried down to no tack within 4 or 5 minutes.  Overall a lovely experience and a dose of my hypocrisy for not wanting excessive fragrance in my masksโ€ฆ but also loving some excessive fragrance. 

Aโ€™pieu Banana Milk Mask - This mask smelled sooooo close to the Sweet Banana mask.  I had to hold both packets up to my nose and go back and forth to try and detect just the smallest bit of maybe a โ€˜freshโ€™ element in the Milk version versus the Sweet?  Iโ€™m even questioning if Iโ€™m imagining this.  The serum on the milk version is a creamy colour and the only reason that I donโ€™t think the brand is simply rebranding the serum with a different mask fabric.  The fabric on this one is more what Iโ€™d call the microfibre, but they call it an Air Pocket Sheet.  I had this one on for a full half hour but the mask was pulling away from my chin a bit after about 15 minutes.  The remaining serum was massaged in and again, tack was all gone after 4-5 minutes.  Overall a delightful nourishing mask that I and my skin enjoyed with results the same as the sweet banana.

Aโ€™pieu Pure Milk Mask - This one had no real scent to it, smelled like non descript skin care though it was super light.  This one was labeled as Hydrating and while it was fineโ€ฆ I missed the banana scent of the nourishing version.  This one also had the same material as the Banana Milk and started to pull away a bit after about 15 minutes.  Over all fine, with nice results, but not as fun as the banana.

Strawberry Milk Mask - I did detect a strawberry scent here, though it was lighter than the banana and wasnโ€™t as much straight up strawberry as a combo of strawberry and general โ€˜fruityโ€™.  This one is labeled as brightening and I generally look at these as masks as generic in the claims.  Pretty much any sheet mask is โ€˜brighteningโ€™ to me as they all give a bit of moisture and life back to my skin.  I enjoyed this mask more than the Pure Milk, but less than the Banana.  Same pulling away at my chin after 15 minutes, but at least this one had a delightful fruity scent. 

Overall Iโ€™d go with the sweet banana over the banana milk just due to the better adhesion of the mask material.  That said, Iโ€™d likely pass on the pure milk but wouldnโ€™t be mad at trying out a few other of the milk line at some point if I happened upon them for a deal. The Sweet Banana however is one that I would seek out after using up some of the stash.  What a delightful mask.  

@missjeanie I don't think ptr makes that rose mask anymore,,, which I was bummed because I did love it!! Great comparison of the milk masks

@lmaster No way!  I thought their mask lineup was pretty set.  Well now I'm going to try and savour it a little more.  I honestly think it was you who convinced me (perhaps unknowingly) to buy this one.  I was using it as a sleeping mask at one point as well and it's been a nice all around mask to have on hand.  I just didn't realize how much 5oz of mask was until I got these jars!

@missjeanie  Great mash up! Iโ€™m almost 40 and Iโ€™m with you want to look 20. Iโ€™ve tried the wrinkle warrior and was sad it made me break out. Iโ€™m glad it works great for you!! 

2 Replies
testing