Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@QueenMarceline, the honey mask feels so nourishing especially in the winter! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ 

I was inspired to do a little comparison earlier this week with the Aโ€™pieu Banana mask that @Shosh85  reviewsd and the Banana milk version of the mask, which lead to a comparison of three of the milk masks I had on hand.  This was a fun little break from using up expired masks!  

IMG_1912 2.jpg

Spoiler

JayJun Green Tea eye gels - these are starting to show their age.  I opened the container mid summer of last year and found that they slid around on my face a lot so when I was temporarily moved for workโ€ฆ I did not bring them with me and only just dove back into them recently.  As theyโ€™ve aged, the serum has gotten thicker, whichโ€ฆ yesโ€ฆ theyโ€™re aging, but had been a delight because they now stay where I put them.  These are no miracle eye gels, my dark circles are still there with sign of leaving after decades.  I am however using my retinoid near my eyes.  I knowโ€ฆ rebel.  So I do feel like these and any other eye gel, are a way to inject some moisture back into my under eye area.  Would I purchase againโ€ฆ if I caught a sale, yes.  Do I prefer sticker eye patches and trying new things, more likely.

PTR Rose Stem Cell Mask - I use this mask in two ways.  1.  In the morning Iโ€™ll slap on a layer right when I wake up and let it sit on my skin for the first 20 minutes of life before I do a rinse and start in on my skincare.  I havenโ€™t been cleansing my skin as much in the mornings lately and more so giving a splash of water with a cloth so this I feel gives my skin a good dose of hydration while I undo all that work with a pot or two of coffee.  I have noticed that when I do this, my face looks a bitโ€ฆ brighter and more awake.  While I am not drawn to rose scents this one is minimal and I donโ€™t notice it at all once Iโ€™ve got it on.  2.  I use this as a sleeping mask.  I use a much thinner layer right before bed over all my other skincare.  It sinks in nicely and doesnโ€™t leave me with tacky skin as Iโ€™m about to smash my face into a pillow for 6 to 7 hours. This mask claims to help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinklesโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not gonna say itโ€™s executing that, but I will say that I think it certainly adds to my skincare routine and probably helps with that as much as I expect it to.  Would I buy this again, probably not in this size, though I would consider a smaller version at some point in life again.  This goes for most of the 5oz PTR tubs.  Iโ€™ve discovered that I like to discover new things and a 5oz mask like this is more than I need in one shot.

Kate Somerville Wrinkle Warrior - Kโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just over 40 now, and I want to look and feel like Iโ€™m still in my 20โ€™s.  Call me a sucker for a name.  This mask is a โ€œpink plumping maskโ€.  While Iโ€™d like to unplump certain areas of my body, I do like the idea of plumping up my skin with moisture.  The directions say to apply it to moist skin, and Iโ€™ve been using this as my morning mask much in the same vein as the PTR Rose mentioned above.  If nothing else the โ€˜wrinkle warriorโ€™ name makes me feel like Iโ€™m battling the signs of getting older.  It does also give me that brighter more awake look in the mornings that I do not come by naturally.  Iโ€™m likely to keep working a mask into my mornings like this while I can time wise (i.eโ€ฆ. While I work from home) as I appreciate the results and the motivation to be a warrior.  The pretty pink goo is a nice touch as well โ€ฆ becauseโ€ฆ pretty pink goo. I had to go back and stick my nose right into the product to see if it had any scent as I didnโ€™t recall oneโ€ฆ itโ€™s pretty much what Iโ€™d call a low level skincare scent, you really need to get your nose right into the jar to smell anything.

Sarah Happ Lip mask โ€” Iโ€™m still trudging along with this.  My lips are plumped after I remove the mask, though I attribute that to the vigorous washcloth action thatโ€™s needed to remove it more so than the mask itself.  

Boo Bamboo Bamboo Fiber Charcoal Sheet Mask โ€” This was a nice soft 100% bamboo material, black in colour.  It did not however feel quite as soft as the last bamboo mask I did that I think* was actually from The Cream Shop.  The mask itself said to wear for 10-20 minutes and I had it on about 15 minutes.  Iโ€™m not super keen on a lot of coconut in my skincare these days, as much as I love the scent, as Iโ€™ve found that coconut oil can be a trigger for breakouts.  This mask didnโ€™t last longer as it had a bit of an โ€˜offโ€™ scent to it.  Do masks go sour?  To itโ€™s credit this did expire in 2019.  Overall not a mask Iโ€™d repurchase, but I would try others from the brand. My skin did feel fine after this and no breakouts to reportโ€ฆ so while the scent was off, it still did a little hydrating.

Aโ€™pieu Sweet Banana Sheet Mask โ€” This was the mask that Shosh reviewed last week and her banana runts scent description was the kicker for me to pull it out.  Itโ€™s got a great fake banana scent that I love.  To me, it was a bit more like those marshmallow bananaโ€™s that we used to buy with penny candy for 5cents.  Overall a wonderful scent.  The mask material was not listed in English but it was quite nice, formed to my face easily and held a good bit of serum in it.  I had the mask on for about a half hour, maybe a bit longer and I easily could have left it another 10 minutes.  My skin looked nice and bright after use and I massaged in all the serum left on my face it dried down to no tack within 4 or 5 minutes.  Overall a lovely experience and a dose of my hypocrisy for not wanting excessive fragrance in my masksโ€ฆ but also loving some excessive fragrance. 

Aโ€™pieu Banana Milk Mask - This mask smelled sooooo close to the Sweet Banana mask.  I had to hold both packets up to my nose and go back and forth to try and detect just the smallest bit of maybe a โ€˜freshโ€™ element in the Milk version versus the Sweet?  Iโ€™m even questioning if Iโ€™m imagining this.  The serum on the milk version is a creamy colour and the only reason that I donโ€™t think the brand is simply rebranding the serum with a different mask fabric.  The fabric on this one is more what Iโ€™d call the microfibre, but they call it an Air Pocket Sheet.  I had this one on for a full half hour but the mask was pulling away from my chin a bit after about 15 minutes.  The remaining serum was massaged in and again, tack was all gone after 4-5 minutes.  Overall a delightful nourishing mask that I and my skin enjoyed with results the same as the sweet banana.

Aโ€™pieu Pure Milk Mask - This one had no real scent to it, smelled like non descript skin care though it was super light.  This one was labeled as Hydrating and while it was fineโ€ฆ I missed the banana scent of the nourishing version.  This one also had the same material as the Banana Milk and started to pull away a bit after about 15 minutes.  Over all fine, with nice results, but not as fun as the banana.

Strawberry Milk Mask - I did detect a strawberry scent here, though it was lighter than the banana and wasnโ€™t as much straight up strawberry as a combo of strawberry and general โ€˜fruityโ€™.  This one is labeled as brightening and I generally look at these as masks as generic in the claims.  Pretty much any sheet mask is โ€˜brighteningโ€™ to me as they all give a bit of moisture and life back to my skin.  I enjoyed this mask more than the Pure Milk, but less than the Banana.  Same pulling away at my chin after 15 minutes, but at least this one had a delightful fruity scent. 

Overall Iโ€™d go with the sweet banana over the banana milk just due to the better adhesion of the mask material.  That said, Iโ€™d likely pass on the pure milk but wouldnโ€™t be mad at trying out a few other of the milk line at some point if I happened upon them for a deal. The Sweet Banana however is one that I would seek out after using up some of the stash.  What a delightful mask.  

@missjeanie I don't think ptr makes that rose mask anymore,,, which I was bummed because I did love it!! Great comparison of the milk masks

@lmaster No way!  I thought their mask lineup was pretty set.  Well now I'm going to try and savour it a little more.  I honestly think it was you who convinced me (perhaps unknowingly) to buy this one.  I was using it as a sleeping mask at one point as well and it's been a nice all around mask to have on hand.  I just didn't realize how much 5oz of mask was until I got these jars!

@missjeanie  Great mash up! Iโ€™m almost 40 and Iโ€™m with you want to look 20. Iโ€™ve tried the wrinkle warrior and was sad it made me break out. Iโ€™m glad it works great for you!! 

Oh no @ather I'm so sorry the wrinkle warrior made you break out.  Its such a gamble with new products sometimes.  And allll the yes to trying look half our age! lol

@missjeanie 

Those milk carton masks are so cute. I'm a sucker for packaging.

@nuinui933 Yes,  They're super cute, I'm a sucker for some good marketing/packaging too!

Love both of those banana masks, @missjeanie! And I totally agree with you about the PTR masks. I really enjoy several of them, but I prefer the smaller tubes over the tubs because there are just so many good masks out there, it's hard to stay committed to the tub in time to finish it all. 

@quspork Right!  There should be deluxe sample sizes available at all times for those of us with the need to try it all lol

@missjeanie  You've done such a great job chipping away at your mask collection! I'm glad you decided to take a little break from the expired category ... you needed it! ๐Ÿ˜Š

That's great you were able to try the banana mask back to back. I knew they had similar scents, but I've never tried them back to back before so I didn't know how close. I think of the two, the Sweet Banana one is my favorite too.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 Thank you for the idea!  I'm totally in love with the scent on the Sweet Banana.  I actually bought a few bunches of bananas to do soft dried banana slices in the oven tomorrow.  The masks gave me a craving! lol

What a great group of sheet masks @missjeanie! Good to hear it offered up a nice break from the masks in your daily masking routine. Itโ€™s nice to have a little break every now and then. 

That Apieu banana mask is such a good one. ๐Ÿ’› Smell, results, etc. I remember really enjoying that boo bamboo mask back in the day. Makes me wonder how I would feel about it now. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi It was a good break and good to feel like I was peeking through a lot of my collection to see where I was at with things.  I'll be good to get back to the older ones for next week and then move on to the 2021 expired group lol. At least those aren't AS expired. It was good to see some of these masks back to back as well.  I'll know better what I want to pick up in the future... the far far future when I'm allowed to shop masks again lol

โ€œthe far far futureโ€ hahahaha @missjeanie. I laugh but I completely understand that feeling. You WILL work through your mask stash. Youโ€™re doing an excellent job of chipping away at it. 

@missjeanie Thanks so much for this awesome review and comparison! Yes!!! Honestly, I really want to make an order from masksheets dot com just to get that Banana Milk mask and the eye gels with flower petals in them plus of course, some laneige spoils. ๐Ÿ˜› Maybe I'll splurge before my official February no buy starts.

Lol @QueenMarceline .  I think I found some at Target at one point.  Maybe some at Ulta too?

@missjeanie Interesting! I'll have to take a look, I don't think they're at ULTA unless I am completely missing something.

@QueenMarceline It's been a few years at this point since I've been in one so they may not anymore... if they ever did lol

Lancome Energie De Vie - Applied this mask after cleansing my face. This is heavily scented, very perfumy. I have had this sample for a while now. I don't like the way it smells. Even if it does wonders on my face I dont recommend because of the scent.

20220127_202031.jpg

โ€ƒ

@Mellmars1185 I'm with you!! I can't stand a heavy perfume scent in my skincare

1 Reply
testing