Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Hahaha @missjeanie. If I were to do a YT style collection video, most of the content would be of me saying "is this working?" "is this on?" "am I doing this right?" "is it recording?" 

@itsfi I too give credit to the people who manage to know how to do all the things video lol

@missjeanie, I buy the things. ๐Ÿ› ๐Ÿ›’  I use them. ๐Ÿ˜Š Or try to. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I occasionally take photos. ๐Ÿ“ธ  I write words. โœ๏ธ Rinse. Repeat. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi fabulous pairing partners

@lmaster, thank you! ๐Ÿ˜€ Always helpful to find a combination that works for both the parts of my face that need some decongesting and the parts that need the hydration and moisture. My skin responds well to these products, and that is what counts, isn't it?! 

This Week: Hydrating Heroes 

KocoStar Pink (Peach) Hydrating Lip Mask

unnamed.jpeg

My Thoughts:

Spoiler
This mask come packaged in it's pictured foil, in a "clasp-style" plastic box and then wrapped between two flimsy pieces of plastic. A bit of overkill on the packaging, imho. I didn't get much of a smell out of this, if anything it smelled like what water with dropped slices of peaches would smell like. Overall, very faint smell. I really enjoy the feel of this on my lips it's a hydro-gel, soft/squishy to the touch, "jelly-like" consistency. The fit is quite large, almost a bit obnoxiously large. It will fit absolutely every single lip type and then some, the mask top almost touched my nose and the mask bottom was well past the half of my chin, it was almost slipping off and sliding a bit due to the curvature of my chin lifting it a certain way. I believe the suggested wear time was ~20 minutes but I wore it for closer to 25-30 minutes. This mask was supposed to give nourishment and hydration to the lips, which I desperately need after the weather here in the midwest lately โ˜ƒ๏ธAs stated previously, I really enjoyed the feeling of this against my lips-it had almost a bit of a cooling effect due to the hydrogel nature of the mask. I really wanted to like this more because of how much I liked the feel of it, but after taking it off I was kind of surprised to see how little hydration I got off it. It honestly only made the slightest bit of a difference (if any, I'm being generous here) and definitely does not compare to the effects I get from the laneige sleeping mask or the agave lip mask I enjoy. I got this for $4/each and I found them for ~$35/30 masks in the cutest and more packaging-friendly tin online so I really wanted to like this mask to incorporate something more for day-time or before going outside in the snow/ice/frozen tundra, lol... but unfortunately, this isn't it. On top of that, after taking it off and the taste it left on my lips was off-putting which I noticed "crept" into my mouth, even without me licking my lips. Overall, I think the effects are not worth the price and I think I'll only get this mask everyone once in a blue moon as a special treat for the feel of it that I like so much. 

Lip masks tend to be questionable in general, @QueenMarceline - sorry this one was a bust! 

@eshoe Yes, I think I'm going to give them 1-2 more tries sometime in the future (other brands) and if I don't find something I genuinely like then I'm staying away from them.

@QueenMarceline 

Sorry these didn't work out for your.  I have a hard time keeping them on my face.

@nuinui933 That's definitely tricky too haha!

Oh no @QueenMarceline  A bad taste literally!  I tried to use a few lip masks like this... I should like them more since they prevent perpetual snacking, alas.. I'd rather snack.  I love the Bite lip masks for those super cold days as well.  I've been finding the Summer Friday's one a nice sub for variety if you happen upon them.  I wonder if a mask like the kokostar would work well if you put a lip oil or one of the other lip masks on first to help 'seal in' their properties?

@missjeanie  I like snacking more too and talking so I know that these masks can be beneficial for both my dietary goals and also my chatter box-ness, haha! ๐Ÿ˜‚I will maybe try to use an oil next time, I put maracuja DE on my lips already religiously so I'll probably do that. ๐Ÿ™‚

@QueenMarceline, ack! It's hard to not have some of the product "creep" into your mouth with a mask like this; sorry the taste was off-putting. I find these types of lip mask are more for entertainment than results; they can make cute gifts too.

@itsfi Yes, I can definitely see that ๐Ÿ™‚ it was so huge on my mouth too.  I was like wow, even Donald Duck can wear this with ease. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@QueenMarceline yikes!! Sorry it left a bad taste behind  

@lmaster I'll maybe dabble in other brands to see if that's a universal type of thing or just this one. ๐Ÿ™‚

@QueenMarceline I always find the lip sheet masks don't really do better than lip sleep masks as well - it always seems like a good idea but I agree they all leave a sort of funny taste and I'm not sure the hassle is worth it 

@Kim888 This was honestly the first "lip sheet mask" I ever tried. Meh, not that impressed.

C - celebrity + purple + sample.jpg

Sheet MaskA for argan oil, B for bamboo sheet and vitamin B5, C for chamomile, D for daily mask, and E for essential oils and extra large size.   
Spoiler
@Shosh85 and I were talking about online retailer iHerb on the thread the other day and it reminded me that I had a mask  from that site. In fact, I think the brand Idealove may be an iHerb brand. The soft, thin bamboo sheet of the Idealove Purple Flower Power Mask is exceptional - it adheres beautifully to the skin and wore comfortably for the entire half hour I had on the mask. Fit is overly large around the perimeter - about 1" - 1-1/2" too wide and long at the chin and across the nose bridge. Not dealbreakers in the least. The sheet is saturated in a clear, thin but not dripping essence that smells faintly herbaceous; there's quite a bit of extra essence in the packet as well. My skin quickly absorbed whatever essence remained after removing the mask. There's zero tack or stickiness, only softer, more hydrated, supple, and nourished skin. This is what I would consider a high-quality filler+ mask, one that I think would make a great addition to a hydrating skincare routine for all skin types (unless there's a sensitivity or allergy to any of the ingredients in the mask).
Hair Mask: C for celebrity line and a "sample" that will likely turn into a purchase after I get through my extra healthy supply of hair masks.  
Spoiler
JVN Nurture Deep Moisture Mask 5 oz/ 147 mL was part of a sampler set I picked up last month (and that I recommend if you are interested in trying his hair care line) - JVN Complete Hydration Hair Set. The hair mask has the same fruity-floral scent as the shampoo from the Nurture line, but the fragrance in the hair mask is much more pronounced - that's not a bad thing in my eyes since I find the fruity-floral scents to be pleasant in general. As with the shampoo, the scent on this mask does not linger - there's zero trace of it after the product has been fully rinsed off.

Consistency-wise, this is the thickest of the products in the set, though by no means is that to say that it is unwieldy or exceedingly thick; it's just thicker than the other JVN products. Actually, if I compare it to some of the other hair masks I have, it's not really that thick. It's recommended to use this hair mask once per week, and in place of conditioner, so that is what I did last night and ... woah. ๐Ÿ˜ My hair feels light, silky, soft, shiny, and smooth after using the mask. No tangles, no frizz. And, what is this?! The hairs at the crown even have a little bit of fullness to it too - this is an area where historically my hair falls flat, so this is impressive in my eyes. My favorite product from the set is the conditioner (I think overall that product performed the best, providing my hair with some lovely movement and volume all throughout), with this hair mask being a close second. If I didn't have so many hair masks to work my way through, this deluxe sample would turn into a purchase in the near future. As I have a line of hair mask to use up first, it may be some time before I pick up a full size of this one, but it is certainly repurchase-worthy.

@itsfi - the hair mask sounds nice.

@eshores, it was. If I didn't have so many open hair masks that I need to work through, I might pick up a full size, but for now, I gotta focus on getting through some of the partially used hair masks in my stash first. ๐Ÿ˜†

1 Reply
testing