cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

34814C30-8453-4F11-B503-B8290A8D2FAB.gif

Welcome to the 2022 Mask of the Week Challenge! We love hearing about every masking experience, on or off-theme, and suggestions are always welcome.

This Week’s Theme: Masks that would make a great Band Name 🎸πŸ₯πŸŽΆ - many thanks to the beautiful @PrettyPaint for the imaginative and fun challenge!

Letters of the Month: Q - V

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge:
Current Thread (Archived Schedule Below)

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masksπŸ’—

Re: πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

@itsfi Wow! You got all of the letters of the alphabet for the month! I am seriously considering the JVN mask after this review! I have the scalp oil and so far loving this brand!

@Mellmars1185, if you like his products, the JVN Complete Hydration Hair Set is a nice way to test that line. I do hope that he puts out other sets with his other lines. He has enough other products too so that other sets could have a different hair care product. The hydration hair set has the air dry cream. I'd love to see a set with the serum. That's good to know about his scalp oil; I purchased the shine drops but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I went into this masking sesh thinking that I'd get in a C for the color theme - purple and for celebrity for the hair mask. When I went to read the instructions on the back of the sheet mask, the other letters filled themselves in. πŸ˜‚

Time for a little masking catch up from last week!  Major accomplishment... yesterday I finished the 10-0-6 peach mask!  

Spoiler
- Random Hair mask.  I remember buying this from Walmart in the US.  I have two more.  At a buck a pop... not bad.  There was enough of the mask for two generous applications and it did leave my hair feeling nice.  Nothing to note about the scent as I applied it, it was a thick white cream.  The second part of the mask was the foil cap to cover your head for 15 minutes.  This was ... not ideal.  I got it on my head but it wouldn't stay on.  My hair was too long and kept flopping down taking the cap with it.  I do other masks without a cap so I wasn't going to struggle with it, off it went.  I kept it on for about 10 minutes but was getting bored in the shower so rinsed out at that point.  Decent mask.  Excellent choice for a dollar and 50 cents per application.  All that said, I wouldn't likely buy again.  It's got a lot of coconut oil in it and I find too much coconut oil in my hair care can give me small pimples on my neck and shoulders.  No need to do that to myself knowingly. 
- TCS Clear Up Strawberry Unicorn Mask.  Not too bad, though... no strawberry scent, and the mask material on the printed masks from TCS aren't a favourite.  They just don't fit my facial counters the way other mask materials do and require more... supervision.  I had a couple little spots that were looking like they might want to turn into pimples so I felt like this was a good time to use this one up.  Did it really work?  I don't know.  Can one mask one time really stave off acne?  I think I might be done with this mask now... Though I do think I've got another months worth of TCS masks in my future at some point, I think they're all the hello kitty variety.
- The Cream Shop Bubble Bubble no more trouble mask.  The one smelled heavily of non dispirit soap.  It was a black charcoal sheet that was quite soft and easily and quickly fit my face with a couple folds at the temples to avoid bubbles in my hairline.  The bubbles came on within a minute or so and was a dense enough foam that it didn't drip anywhere.  I kept it on for about 15 minutes, the minimum recommended.  I know this contains clay so I didn't want to leave it on my face too long, lest it dry out my skin.  This is a rinse off mask, and I'm glad I checked the package to make sure.  I waited a few minutes after washing off to see if my skin got tacky (why though... I mean.. I washed it all off?) but I did notice that my skin was getting a bit tight.  My serum and moisturizer sank in so quick after this that it got me thinking maybe a mask drying you out so that skin could absorb the good stuffs better isn't a horrible idea?  I don't think I have more of this mask left... and it's not likely something that I'd use often, but we'll put this into the 'not for me' but I won't say never category.
- Yadah Snail.  I still have at least a half dozen of this in my stash .... I 'm not mad at that.  They'll be handy for the days I don't want to think. 
- Leaders Moisturizing Recovery Mask.  What a delight.  I love the coconut bio gel mask material It just fits so nicely with no cutting needed.  It wrinkled in a few spots and I just folded the temples back a bit to make the fit perfect.  I like the way bio gels fit like a second skin.  This was also a great serum.  My face felt super moisturized, and the serum had little tack when I rubbed it in after take the mask off 20 minutes later.  I take away points for boring packaging... but I did enjoy the last Leaders mask I used as well.  I should probably give them more credit as a brand.
-  SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Face Mask Strawberry  was one that pulled out to do since Sephora was so kind to send it to me in exchange for review.  It had a pretty decent fit with the eucalyptus fibre material and it held on to a decent amount of serum that was lightly strawberry scented.  This mask was on for about 25 minutes even though the packages said "works in 5 minutes". This was meant to be nourishing and smoothing.  I saw no smoothing benefits at all and I'm seriously unsure how a sheet mask can smooth my skin in 5 minutes.  Feels like fake news to me.  When I took a gander at the ingredient list I noticed that watermelon extract is listed above strawberry extract.  So why not make this a watermelon mask?  And while I enjoyed the light strawberry scent, fragrance was also listed above the actual strawberry extract.  Now all that said, the mask was nice to wear, it gave a lovely experience, with only a little bit tack remaining after removal.  I'd totally use this again, but I'm feeling like the claims here are a bit exaggerated and at 7$ Canadian per mask ... I would't buy them without a good sale.  I can get masks for way less than that and if I'm splurging on a mask I'm not thinking SC is where I'd start.  Now... if I were in a spot where I needed a few extra bucks to make free shipping etc... sure... why not.  The material is nice, the scent is pleasant but the ingredient deck and claims are meh. 
- Someone at some point last week mentioned PTR masks, which made me think of the Pumpkin mask, which lead to the Summer Fridays Overtime mask.  I was suppppper careful with putting this on my face to avoid any excessive exfoliation since my skin has stopped shedding from over exfoliation with a new prescription.  I left the mask on for about 5 minutes and I could actually feel a small tingle.  I used some tepid water to very gently massage off the mask and was left happy with the lovely scent and the brightening effect on my skin.  This mask is a favourite of mine and I believe I still have a mini back up when I'm finished with this one.  My inner white girl isn't into PSL's so I like to do my pumpkin love in mask format. 10/10 would repurchase.
-  10-0-6 peach no stress zone skin defending mask.  This mask caused me stress.  The first time I opened it this month after a hiatus... I did smell the peach.  Whenever I opened it after that... straight up fragrance.  Not a yummy peach one... just fragrance.  This did an okay job moisturizing my skin in the morning, before I did my skincare routine, but it was't anything special.  I feel like a good serum or moisture could do the same.  I've used other masks from the company that I've enjoyed, I think this one just was meh. I am glad to have used up the tube and have more room to use other masks I prefer.  I have found that doing a morning wash off before I move to my skincare has been a nice habit the last few weeks that I'll be trying to keep up.  I have around 15 or so wash offs open and would like to use a few of those up the next month or two and this has been a nice routine to get into.  So for that... I will be happy.  lol. One more empty towards that goal too.
-The Sarah Happ clay lip mask.  I'm trying to like this.  I still don't get it.  I don't see it doing anything for my lips.  It's actually quite a bugger to wash off and it will not come off with just my fingers.  Must use a washcloth or make up eraser.  I'm going to make a solid effort with this before I repurpose as a foot mask lol or just declutter. 

IMG_1894.jpg

@missjeanie  

I love that Summer Fridays Overtime mask!

It's my fav from their line @nuinui933 !  I swear that scent alone makes me want pie!

@missjeanie

You're really selling it. I could always go for pie so I sorta want to try this mask right away.

Totally worth picking one up @nuinui933 !  

@missjeanie ok so I used that peach mask the other day, it really left my skin soft and moisturized, did it ever do anything for you?

@lmaster It was basically a wash off moisturizer for me.  I ended up using it in the mornings while I got set up for the day then washed it off after about 15 minutes and went in with my regular morning skin care.  I think I would have gotten the same thing by putting on any moisturizer.  I am however super dry at the moment so my skin did soak up the mask as I wore it.  I did like having something on my skin right away to give some moisture before I got started with my routine, and I'm going to try to keep up the habit with other moisturizing masks, but for me the huge reason I disliked it was the amount of and type of scent.  

@missjeanie  Leaders really does make some solid masks. This is one I haven't tried yet, but definitely need to because it sounds wonderful!

Great job finishing up the Peach mask! You have way more patience than I do - I used it a couple times then ended up giving it to my niece.

I agree with you on the SC Strawberry mask -I thought it was strange that watermelon was higher up in the ingredients and it seems like all the SC masks I've tried have fragrance in the middle of the list. I think this one's ok, but it definitely doesn't seem worth the price.

@Shosh85 Glad to know I wasn't alone on the SC mask!  I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.  I was however impressed with the two leaders masks.  I'm looking forward to a few that I know are still in my stash to use up this year!  I know you're on a low buy right now, but they're totally worth picking up down the line.  And I feel like my threshold for really worth it masks has been raised over the last few years. 

Lots of fun masks there, @missjeanie! I've rarely been disappointed by a Leader's mask. Those are usually pretty solid in my book. 

@quspork I feel like in the past they were kinda of lumped in with so many other masks I didn't pay them much mind... but I noticed that using two so close together that were both winners has pushed them up a category for me.  

@missjeanie Great reviews! Thanks for your observationson the strawberry mask!

For sure @Mellmars1185 I was hoping to sneak it in so I could post a review.  It was nice... but not 7$ a mask nice. At least not for me. 

Ahhhh!!! I'm so happy for you @missjeanie! You were a trooper working through that 10.0.6 mask. It must feel so good to have worked through that entire bottle. Woohoo!!!!😁 You should give the Sara Happ a try as a foot mask, just to use up some more of it. πŸ€£ I seriously thought of every angle for repurposing that mask. πŸ‘£

@itsfi I've never felt the kind of joy and relief at finishing a mask as I did with the 10-0-6! lol.  I'm so confused how that clay lip mask ever made it past testing phases.  

@missjeanie, yeah, you and me both. I loved their lemonade lip scrub (the original in the jar). If I were to hazard a guess, the popularity of their lip scrubs and the hole in the clay lip mask space probably created an opportunity for it; I'm sure the pink color had some cache for some and presented a marketing hook that was fun and would appeal to many. It just did not work for my lips.

@itsfi Im all for good marketing and a bit of a gimmick... but I suspect we're in the majority with a 'huh?' lol

C is for Cream

IMG_20220119_211609711.jpg

• This was a medium thickness sheet
  • It fit pretty good, needed snipped in the corner of your eyes, otherwise great!
  • Somewhat chunky white cream for the "serum"
  • I did use all the extra in the package to apply directly to my face and then placed the sheet on, I didn't feel like the mask had the cream saturated on the sheet
  • I left it on for 20 minutes
  • After removing, there's no tackiness, my skin felt so nourished and moisturized!! 
  • I would love to have more of these as back ups!!IMG_20220119_211617449.jpg

 

@lmaster 

I love a good cream serum mask!

1 Reply
testing