Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missjeanie, yes! Good memory. They have these โ€œrubber masksโ€ that are seem to be part of the creepy baby face line. I donโ€™t know if Iโ€™m just making this up, but I thought the previous packaging for these masks only had the baby face in the corner and not front and center like these new design. 

Spoiler
4217FBB3-384F-4B88-A192-AACEA7ADA6D2.jpeg

Dr. Jart+ Cryo Rubberโ„ข Masks 0.14 oz/ 4 g Ampoule + 1.41 oz/ 40 g Rubberโ„ข Mask with Firming Collagen Dr. Jart+ Cryo Rubberโ„ข So Cool Duo 

@itsfi I've used these!  Good masks if I recall correctly.  I think they were two pice rubber sheets that covered the serum and were quite nice when I was dealing with some windburn!

@itsfi This is the older version. It has the ampoule in the corner and there's nothing in the baby's mouth, but it's the same creepy baby ๐Ÿ˜… @missjeanie 

0BCDCC20-35A3-473C-9F31-9BBA714CF084.jpeg

@Shosh85 Yes!  These were the ones I was thinking of!  They were actually pretty nice masks if I recall correctly. 

@Shosh85 @missjeanie, omg ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I totally blocked that from my memory. Hahaha! 

@itsfi I got my medical licence from Grey's Anatomy... but I hear the brain has ways of blocking out traumatic events lol!

@missjeanie, your degree was well earned! I think thatโ€™s it! Grey + Sloan Memorial Hospital has been around for a while, and seen itโ€™s fair share of doctors. Good teaching hospital. ๐Ÿ˜† My brain ๐Ÿง  hears โ€œcreepy baby face maskโ€ and it just gets overwhelmed and forgets things. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi Wow! You got all of the letters of the alphabet for the month! I am seriously considering the JVN mask after this review! I have the scalp oil and so far loving this brand!

@Mellmars1185, if you like his products, the JVN Complete Hydration Hair Set is a nice way to test that line. I do hope that he puts out other sets with his other lines. He has enough other products too so that other sets could have a different hair care product. The hydration hair set has the air dry cream. I'd love to see a set with the serum. That's good to know about his scalp oil; I purchased the shine drops but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I went into this masking sesh thinking that I'd get in a C for the color theme - purple and for celebrity for the hair mask. When I went to read the instructions on the back of the sheet mask, the other letters filled themselves in. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Time for a little masking catch up from last week!  Major accomplishment... yesterday I finished the 10-0-6 peach mask!  

Spoiler
- Random Hair mask.  I remember buying this from Walmart in the US.  I have two more.  At a buck a pop... not bad.  There was enough of the mask for two generous applications and it did leave my hair feeling nice.  Nothing to note about the scent as I applied it, it was a thick white cream.  The second part of the mask was the foil cap to cover your head for 15 minutes.  This was ... not ideal.  I got it on my head but it wouldn't stay on.  My hair was too long and kept flopping down taking the cap with it.  I do other masks without a cap so I wasn't going to struggle with it, off it went.  I kept it on for about 10 minutes but was getting bored in the shower so rinsed out at that point.  Decent mask.  Excellent choice for a dollar and 50 cents per application.  All that said, I wouldn't likely buy again.  It's got a lot of coconut oil in it and I find too much coconut oil in my hair care can give me small pimples on my neck and shoulders.  No need to do that to myself knowingly. 
- TCS Clear Up Strawberry Unicorn Mask.  Not too bad, though... no strawberry scent, and the mask material on the printed masks from TCS aren't a favourite.  They just don't fit my facial counters the way other mask materials do and require more... supervision.  I had a couple little spots that were looking like they might want to turn into pimples so I felt like this was a good time to use this one up.  Did it really work?  I don't know.  Can one mask one time really stave off acne?  I think I might be done with this mask now... Though I do think I've got another months worth of TCS masks in my future at some point, I think they're all the hello kitty variety.
- The Cream Shop Bubble Bubble no more trouble mask.  The one smelled heavily of non dispirit soap.  It was a black charcoal sheet that was quite soft and easily and quickly fit my face with a couple folds at the temples to avoid bubbles in my hairline.  The bubbles came on within a minute or so and was a dense enough foam that it didn't drip anywhere.  I kept it on for about 15 minutes, the minimum recommended.  I know this contains clay so I didn't want to leave it on my face too long, lest it dry out my skin.  This is a rinse off mask, and I'm glad I checked the package to make sure.  I waited a few minutes after washing off to see if my skin got tacky (why though... I mean.. I washed it all off?) but I did notice that my skin was getting a bit tight.  My serum and moisturizer sank in so quick after this that it got me thinking maybe a mask drying you out so that skin could absorb the good stuffs better isn't a horrible idea?  I don't think I have more of this mask left... and it's not likely something that I'd use often, but we'll put this into the 'not for me' but I won't say never category.
- Yadah Snail.  I still have at least a half dozen of this in my stash .... I 'm not mad at that.  They'll be handy for the days I don't want to think. 
- Leaders Moisturizing Recovery Mask.  What a delight.  I love the coconut bio gel mask material It just fits so nicely with no cutting needed.  It wrinkled in a few spots and I just folded the temples back a bit to make the fit perfect.  I like the way bio gels fit like a second skin.  This was also a great serum.  My face felt super moisturized, and the serum had little tack when I rubbed it in after take the mask off 20 minutes later.  I take away points for boring packaging... but I did enjoy the last Leaders mask I used as well.  I should probably give them more credit as a brand.
-  SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Face Mask Strawberry  was one that pulled out to do since Sephora was so kind to send it to me in exchange for review.  It had a pretty decent fit with the eucalyptus fibre material and it held on to a decent amount of serum that was lightly strawberry scented.  This mask was on for about 25 minutes even though the packages said "works in 5 minutes". This was meant to be nourishing and smoothing.  I saw no smoothing benefits at all and I'm seriously unsure how a sheet mask can smooth my skin in 5 minutes.  Feels like fake news to me.  When I took a gander at the ingredient list I noticed that watermelon extract is listed above strawberry extract.  So why not make this a watermelon mask?  And while I enjoyed the light strawberry scent, fragrance was also listed above the actual strawberry extract.  Now all that said, the mask was nice to wear, it gave a lovely experience, with only a little bit tack remaining after removal.  I'd totally use this again, but I'm feeling like the claims here are a bit exaggerated and at 7$ Canadian per mask ... I would't buy them without a good sale.  I can get masks for way less than that and if I'm splurging on a mask I'm not thinking SC is where I'd start.  Now... if I were in a spot where I needed a few extra bucks to make free shipping etc... sure... why not.  The material is nice, the scent is pleasant but the ingredient deck and claims are meh. 
- Someone at some point last week mentioned PTR masks, which made me think of the Pumpkin mask, which lead to the Summer Fridays Overtime mask.  I was suppppper careful with putting this on my face to avoid any excessive exfoliation since my skin has stopped shedding from over exfoliation with a new prescription.  I left the mask on for about 5 minutes and I could actually feel a small tingle.  I used some tepid water to very gently massage off the mask and was left happy with the lovely scent and the brightening effect on my skin.  This mask is a favourite of mine and I believe I still have a mini back up when I'm finished with this one.  My inner white girl isn't into PSL's so I like to do my pumpkin love in mask format. 10/10 would repurchase.
-  10-0-6 peach no stress zone skin defending mask.  This mask caused me stress.  The first time I opened it this month after a hiatus... I did smell the peach.  Whenever I opened it after that... straight up fragrance.  Not a yummy peach one... just fragrance.  This did an okay job moisturizing my skin in the morning, before I did my skincare routine, but it was't anything special.  I feel like a good serum or moisture could do the same.  I've used other masks from the company that I've enjoyed, I think this one just was meh. I am glad to have used up the tube and have more room to use other masks I prefer.  I have found that doing a morning wash off before I move to my skincare has been a nice habit the last few weeks that I'll be trying to keep up.  I have around 15 or so wash offs open and would like to use a few of those up the next month or two and this has been a nice routine to get into.  So for that... I will be happy.  lol. One more empty towards that goal too.
-The Sarah Happ clay lip mask.  I'm trying to like this.  I still don't get it.  I don't see it doing anything for my lips.  It's actually quite a bugger to wash off and it will not come off with just my fingers.  Must use a washcloth or make up eraser.  I'm going to make a solid effort with this before I repurpose as a foot mask lol or just declutter. 

IMG_1894.jpg

@missjeanie  

I love that Summer Fridays Overtime mask!

It's my fav from their line @nuinui933 !  I swear that scent alone makes me want pie!

@missjeanie

You're really selling it. I could always go for pie so I sorta want to try this mask right away.

Totally worth picking one up @nuinui933 !  

@missjeanie ok so I used that peach mask the other day, it really left my skin soft and moisturized, did it ever do anything for you?

@lmaster It was basically a wash off moisturizer for me.  I ended up using it in the mornings while I got set up for the day then washed it off after about 15 minutes and went in with my regular morning skin care.  I think I would have gotten the same thing by putting on any moisturizer.  I am however super dry at the moment so my skin did soak up the mask as I wore it.  I did like having something on my skin right away to give some moisture before I got started with my routine, and I'm going to try to keep up the habit with other moisturizing masks, but for me the huge reason I disliked it was the amount of and type of scent.  

@missjeanie  Leaders really does make some solid masks. This is one I haven't tried yet, but definitely need to because it sounds wonderful!

Great job finishing up the Peach mask! You have way more patience than I do - I used it a couple times then ended up giving it to my niece.

I agree with you on the SC Strawberry mask -I thought it was strange that watermelon was higher up in the ingredients and it seems like all the SC masks I've tried have fragrance in the middle of the list. I think this one's ok, but it definitely doesn't seem worth the price.

@Shosh85 Glad to know I wasn't alone on the SC mask!  I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.  I was however impressed with the two leaders masks.  I'm looking forward to a few that I know are still in my stash to use up this year!  I know you're on a low buy right now, but they're totally worth picking up down the line.  And I feel like my threshold for really worth it masks has been raised over the last few years. 

Lots of fun masks there, @missjeanie! I've rarely been disappointed by a Leader's mask. Those are usually pretty solid in my book. 

@quspork I feel like in the past they were kinda of lumped in with so many other masks I didn't pay them much mind... but I noticed that using two so close together that were both winners has pushed them up a category for me.  

@missjeanie Great reviews! Thanks for your observationson the strawberry mask!

testing