Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missjeanie, the up side of the wait for a Stylevana order is that itโ€™s like a surprise treat when it arrives. I had forgotten about it. At first, I thought โ€œuh oh, what did I buy?โ€ Then it was โ€œooh, a โ€œsurpriseโ€ of sorts.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜† Mine did include restocks of some hard to find sheet masks so I was happy when they arrived. 

Oh, your favorite SPF? Do tell, please. 

@itsfi Finding other sheet masks that I'd either seen on the thread or found to be completely new was also a bonus with their site.  I have a mini haul of sheet masks from them that I've got set aside for after I work through some of these older masks.... Once I'm done everything that expired in 2020 lol.  

I really really like the Skin Aqua tone up UV essence SPF 50+PA++++.  I just finished off the Sunprise from Etude House but find it can make my eyes water if I'm not careful.  The Skin Aqua I can just slap on.  It's moisturizing and wears really well under make up.  I have both the Violet and Green tints, but I'm not totally convinced the tints do much.  I'm going to re-order these, but will pick a few new ones to try as well.

Spoiler
IMG_1867.jpg

@missjeanie, oh, these are from the same brand that manufactures the Hada Labo skincare products - niiice! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Are these chemical or physical sunscreens? I have a feeling they may be chemical filters but I couldnโ€™t find an INCI list or any info on that. 

Sorry to hear about the Etude House Sunprise irritating your eyes. Thatโ€™s my favorite SPF, though I still like trying other sunscreens that come out on the market. SPF, sheet masks, lip balms, foundations, nail polish, shoes, handbags, โ€ฆ okay, Iโ€™m sensing a pattern here. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi As far as I know they're a combo product.  I had looked up a list of ingredients last summer when I re-ordered,  I can't vouch for how perfect the list is as it's from a third party site though.   I did quite like the Etude House on my skin, it was just that I had to be very careful around the eyes.  Since I use these first thing in the morning when I'm not quite as awake as I could be, I prefer just being able to slap them on. The tubes do come in a little plastic bag that has info on it... but I have no idea what it says.  

Spoiler
IMG_1868.jpgIMG_1869.jpgthis is for the violet versionthis is for the violet version

Shoes eh... I haven't delved into some fun shoes in a few years.... Maybe I need to peruse a bit!

Thank you @missjeanie! ๐Ÿค— I saw the photos and hadn't scrolled down to the end and thought "hmmm, she doesn't know I don't read (or speak for that matter) Japanese." Hahaha! Then I saw the English translation you included - thank you! It seems like a lot of sunscreens are going the hybrid route, with a mix of chemical and physical filters. 

I shopped for shoes, handbags, clothes more pre-covid. Other than some sweatshirts and a coat, I haven't purchased clothes since February 2019. I picked up a pair of sneakers, running shoes, boots and flats last year but that was it. When I went back to the office more regularly, there was a bit of a learning curve to wear heels again. lol.

@itsfi  lol... I was even guessing that it was Japanese, based solely on the little English "made in Japan". I find that even I can get a bit of a white cast with the physical SPF's out there, I can't even imagine how bad it is for those with anything above pasty skin.  I'm not generally super picky about which SPF's are used though, but I feel like (in my totally non scientific, I barely passed grade 10 science background) a combo product offers a wider variety of protection?  I'm actually really enjoying trying out new SPF's and I'll for sure be picking up a few new ones on my "Happy St. Patricks Day" haul.  My days of baby oil and an SPF 8 are looooooong over.  

Side note:  The only clothing I've bought for myself since the end of Feb 2020 have been.... sweatpants and PJ's.  We're doing so much back and forth with being in office and working hybrid that I still have new office clothes with tags on them.  When I was working on site out in the bush last summer all I wore was active wear.  We're back at work from home again and I 100% have not put anything other than sweat pants and PJ's for at least a week now lol

@missjeanie, the white cast on physical / mineral sunscreens is not ideal. In the past, my skin was not very tolerant of most chemical SPFs in the past, but there are better formulations out there these days with both the all chemical sunscreens as well as the hybrid SPFs so my sunscreen hauls these days include a mix of all three formulations. For science, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Working through a few masks that need to be used, so from the wash-off collection we have Kiehl's Since 1851 Calendula Petal-Infused Calming Mask with Aloe Vera 3.4 oz/ 100 mL

PXL_20220119_171155315.jpg

To be honest, I am a bit meh on this one. It applied well, gel consistency with strings of petal infused in it. I didn't care for the scent, which according to online review other people thought was citrusy. It didn't really read as citrus to me, but I'm not sure how I would really describe it. Either way, the scent didn't linger. It wore well during masking and I had no issues with rinsing it off. It left my skin slightly more hydrated but didn't really have any other effects. I didn't really experience any calming or dissipation of redness, like I have with other aloe or calendula products. In the end, no harm, no foul. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be purchasing the full-size. 

On to better, an oldie but a goodie, the Tosowoong Pure Blueberry Mask

PXL_20220119_171226753.jpg

I've used (and loved) this line for years. I enjoy the blueberry in particular because of its effects. The fit is pretty large, so I do end up folding over some of the forehead area, but I always prefer a slightly large mask to one that's too small. The sheet itself is thin and adheres very well. There was no noticeable scent to me at the time. It was absolutely drenched in stringy serum (with plenty more in the packet to pat in after removal of the sheet). I wore it for a good 20 (25?) minutes and was left with bright, smooth, hydrated skin. This continues to be a favorite and one that I often repurchase. 

@quspork, I like the idea of that Kiehlโ€™s mask - calendula and aloe sound promising for soothing skin, but the slight tingling and tickling feel of the mask made me cautious. To me, this Kiehlโ€™s mask is like the PTR cucumber, rose and blue marine algae masks both in terms of their gel consistency and performance - they work well for some folks but are a pass for me. 

The Tosowoong masks on the other hand โ€ฆ the masks from this line were one of the first sheet masks I used when I first started getting into Kbeauty skincare and sheet masks so they hold a sentimental value to me. In addition, I do like the way they perform. Iโ€™m ordinary prefer the  thinner sheet masks but am impressed by the adherence on these given that they are thicker. I love the honey ๐Ÿฏ version. 

And see, I actually really like the cucumber PTR (and occasionally the rose) since they work well for me, but I know they're just ok for a lot of folks. That's one of the things I do love about this thread is that it gives us a chance to see how different masks for different people. I'm sure there are others out there who will really like the Kiehls, just not a winner for me, alas. @itsfi 

@quspork you know, that Kiehlโ€™s mask isnโ€™t bad, is it? Iโ€™m glad I tried it, too, but this was a one and done for me as well.

Yeah, definitely in the "it's not bad, it's just not great either" category for me, @eshoe. Although, I fully own that part of that probably has to do with my mask obsession so my expectations for masks has increased over the years. 

Oh I hear you, @quspork. On the plus side, it is a relief to know which masks need to be in hand for backups and for just everyday masking!

@quspork  

I just placed an order for a set of Tosowoong masks earlier this week. Excited to give them a try.

I hope you enjoy them, @missy94612! The Pure line is a favorite of mine. Which ones did you pick up?

@quspork 

The green tea, snail and water (?) ones.

Those are good ones, @missy94612. I really enjoy the ocean water one! I hope you like them!

@quspork 

I've had my eye on Tosowoong sheet masks ever since I tried their powder enzyme cleanser. Any other favorites besides the blueberry?

Honestly, I'm a fan of the whole Pure line, @elleb810. If I had to pick a favorite, maybe it's be the Deep Sea because it's so hydrating and my skin always looks so nice afterwards. The only mask I didn't like from them (and it was honestly one of the worst masks I've ever used) was discontinued ages ago thank goodness LOL.  

@quspork you summed up my feelings on most of the Kiehl's masks right there. 

Glad to know I'm not alone on that, @missjeanie!

3 Replies
testing