Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi Update... it's not exactly the same.  Mine say Nightly Re-Paire Mask.  But now I want this one too.  One more to add to the love list!

@missjeanie, I think this Dr Jart in the jar is meant to be the updated equivalent of the mask in the packet but in jar form and with a different name and ingredients list. That seems like some significant differences for an โ€œequivalentโ€ but maybe the names have something to do with one being a Korean version of the mask and the other being the US version? The different ingredient list is puzzling though and the best explanation that I can think of is that the product went through a reformulation, something not unheard of from Dr Jart even with its more popular products (like its Ceramidin sheet mask). 

@itsfi Well.... it still sounds like it may be worth checking out.  But I have to admit, as much as I know that the little packets are kind of wasteful... I do love to have them to tote around in a make up bag when I'm headed out of the house.  I was surprised when I saw the new Sheet masks for both the Cicapair and the Ceramidin lines.  At least it gave me a chance to stock up at TJ's at a discount lol

Alphabet Themes:
A for alpha hydroxy acid (papaya) and vitamin A (watermelon) 
C for clean (both are part of the Sephora Collection clean line) and vitamin
E for exfoliating peel and eye mask 
with honorable mentions to: B for biocellulose, and D for defends against UV damage, dark spots, or dry patches (watermelon) 

Weekly Theme: from last week's winter skincare routine (thanks again @missy94612!)

E - exfoliating + eye.jpg

Exfoliating Peel
Spoiler
In an effort to help bid adieu to dead skin and dry patches during the winter months, I try to use an exfoliating product once per week. My skin can be a bit more sensitive this time of the year, so I make an extra effort to not overdo it with acids or other ingredients or products that can irritate skin or compromise my skin barrier.  Last week, I picked up and tried one of the newest additions to the Sephora Collection Clean skincare line, the SEPHORA COLLECTION AHA Peeling Masks Papaya - it's a lightweight, translucent gel with a sheer but bright red-orange hue reminiscent of the color of the flesh of papaya and claims to smooth the texture of the skin. There's a very subtle fruity scent that does smell lightly of papaya.

This peel is intended as a quick treatment, with instructions calling for a wear time of 10 minutes; itโ€™s gentle on the skin - no tingling or stinging and there was only the slightest bit of redness from the peel, mainly around the corners of my nose where I applied more of the gel. My skin looked more clear and felt soft and smooth after using the peel, just as it claimed. ๐Ÿ‘ 
Eye Mask
Spoiler
I find using bio-cellulose sheet masks to be good after a chemical peel and I had originally planned to use the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Watermelon After Sun Mask 1 Mask(not pictured) following the AHA papaya peel. Since I didn't experience any initial tingling or stinging with the peel, I decided to forego a full face mask, but, out of an abundance of caution and because the area under my eyes and around the high points of my cheek area are extra sensitive these days from the weather and mask wearing (the covid-19 kind), I decided apply the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Eye Mask Watermelon over the peel. This is another mask hack for using under eye gel masks. I mentioned in previous posts using under eye gels like this (or slice / point masks) under a full sheet mask for some extra layers of hydration). Another hack for hydrating under eye gel masks like these, is to place them over a peel. 

These watermelon under eye masks, which are a translucent bright pink-red in hue, are geared towards hydration and glow and have a mild watermelon scent to them. I feel like they helped a little to keep the delicate skin under my eyes from being irritated by even the gentle acids and enzymes in the papaya peel.

Ordinarily my under-eye area and cheeks get flushed after a peel (anywhere from patches of red to small areas of a faint red), but after this combo of the peel and under eye mask, my skin was much less flushed, particularly in the area where I placed the under-eye gels - there was just the very slightest hint of pink peeking from the most sensitive of spots on my face (where the top of the covid19 masks meet the high points of my cheeks).
Overall Thoughts:
Spoiler
It looks like the Sephora Collection Clean line has added some new skincare to its lineup (and some new color products too, all currrently online but I imagine they will be in stores soon) and the Sephora Collection AHA Peeling Masks Papaya is a good one, delivering on its smoothing claims and doing so in a gentle way. I like a good, strong peel every once in a while, but I also enjoy (and my skin sometimes prefers) a more gentle but still effective chemical exfoliant. I've tended to fare better with the products from the color range of the Sephora Collection clean lines, but this new papaya peel does good work with  softening and smoothing my skin without irritating it. ๐Ÿ’“ There are two other varieties in this range - a lemon scented peel designed to purify skin and an orange scented version aimed at brightening. 

The team for the Sephora Collection Clean line did a really nice job with this one ๐Ÿ˜€ and I'm looking forward to trying out the other peels (though maybe getting a sample first in store, if and when that can happen again, or a sample online) as well as some of the other skincare treats I've spotted online. Excited for the new skincare goodies (and new color products) to launch in store! @TeamBIC ๐Ÿ› 

@itsfi - is it just the fragrance in these peels that are different? I went to look up the ingredients in the peels and the papaya one doesn't look like it has papaya in it.

@eshores, no, they're not the same. I think the INCI list for the papaya mask on the site has the ingredients list for the lemon peel by mistake. Here's what the label on my bottle of the SEPHORA COLLECTION AHA Peeling Masks Papaya looks like - it lists papaya extract:

INCI list - from bottle Sephora Collection papaya peelINCI list - from bottle Sephora Collection papaya peel

@itsfi  

The watermelon full sheet mask is a favorite in this house. I didn't know that Sephora had these peels until I saw your post. I like the sound of them being gentle. Will have to look into them more.

@missy94612, the new peels are nice - gentle but gets the job done. My skin felt so smooth (and still feels smooth). ๐Ÿ˜ is there a particular flavor you're leaning towards? If you pick one of these up, please let us know your thoughts on them (and your husband's too!) 

@itsfi 

They all sound great - that's the problem. LOL. We still have some exfoliating masks and peels so we're not in a rush. I have gift card and may pick up one of them to see how we like it and if we do, there's always room in the cart during the sale. Ha!

@itsfi  

That watermelon biocellulose is such a joy to use - soothing and refreshing. You're right about it being great after a peel. 

@elleb810, it's a good all year round mask; one of my favorites from the Sephora Collection. ๐Ÿ‰

@itsfi oh that peel caught my eye lol

@lmaster, I say, "get it!" ๐Ÿ˜  

Oh, wait. I think you are on a low / no buy, yes? In that case, I say, "get it during a sale or promo!" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚  I'm trying to be a helpful and supportive enabler. lol. Which of the peels do you think you'd pick up - the papaya, lemon or orange peel?

Well, I literally just bought the PC peel but,,, if it's still available I would want to try the papaya @itsfi maybe by the next sale

Her new peel @lmaster
Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 25% AHA + 2% BHA Exfoliant Peel 1 oz/ 30 mL 

It looks interesting. Iโ€™ve read itโ€™s similar to DE Babyfacial. I received a tube as part of a gwp but was waiting to give it a try. Would love to hear about your take on it after youโ€™ve had time to put it to a good test run. 

Yes @itsfi I would absolutely compare it to DE, I've only used it once so far, so I'll keep you posted!

Hmmmm adding the peel to my cart now @itsfi.โ€ฆsounds lovely and easy to use. Maybe as a nice 1-2x a month treatment!

@eshoe, it's a nice, gentle one to have in a collection. Is there a particular scent / flavor you're interested in?

Well @itsfi I took a peek and went with the SEPHORA COLLECTION AHA Peeling Masks Papaya. I also added the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Tonic Passionfruit and the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Tonic Dragonfruit might not be far behind. The mini needs a tonic but has no interest in skincare at the moment. Hoping something light, fun and fruity might appeal to her.

@eshoe, good reminder, I have a couple of those toners, or maybe, I just have one?! I think I just have one... Uh oh; not good that I don't know. 

Woaahhhh. Wait. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ The mini "has no interest in skincare at the moment." That hurts my heart a little. 

Oh I am curious what you think of them, @itsfi! If you locate them๐Ÿ˜‚

It hurts my heart more than a little. Gentle hints didnโ€™t help, so I recommended she begin a simple three-step routine. That was followed with a quick, โ€œI am not interested in skin care.โ€ I am still processing that. It may take me awhile๐Ÿ˜ข She still has plenty of time to come around!

4 Replies
testing