Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Agree @QueenMarceline! I like both the original and the "clean" version of the watermelon after sun mask; one of my favorite masks. ๐Ÿ‰ I haven't tried using it after a hot tropical vacation but I would be on board with doing that ... for research purposes. I have the sheet mask, I just need to get that hot tropical vacation to happen. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi Ugh, it's honestly my absolute favorite for that purpose but I admit I've used it even in the wintertime because it's that lovely and I always keep at least 3-5 of these on hand. I've taken this thing to Vegas, Florida, California, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic and the US Virgin Islands with me over the years (mostly pre-C-word lol). It's truly seen some sights with me, I hope they never let this thing go off their mask line at Sephora Collection. Highly recommend, my fair skin absolutely adores this stuff. It was one of the first things I wrote about when i got back into writing reviews. I'll copy/paste it below in case you or anyone else is interested.

My review of the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Watermelon After Sun Mask 1 Mask :

Spoiler
The Good: This is hands-down my favorite face mask created by Sephora Collection by a long shot (and I used to quite enjoy the SC sheet masks that are seemingly now discontinued, so this is a big compliment). I'd trade all of those discontinued old masks for this one mask any day. I don't even know how/why I first got my hands on one of these but I remember packing a couple of these to my tropical 10-day vacation and BOY, were they a god send. I burn very easily in intense sun even when I apply/re-apply sunscreen. Having red, hot-to-the-touch skin after a day out in the sun has always been the norm for me. During my vacation I decided this was the perfect time to use one of these and oh my god was it an instant relief. Not only that, the redness subsided instantly and it stopped my face from turning into that "2nd day sunburn" that everyone knows and hates. This mask is not your typical sheet mask, it's not a "sheet" mask at all since there is no material/sheet to it, it's more of the texture of those cell-infused jelly-like masks. There's also a chest mask which is super handy because that's another major problem area for getting sun damage. These have been my go-to for any kind of travel or sun activity for at least 3/4 years. Most recently I used it in July after being in 107 degree Las Vegas weather during the hottest parts of the day and it also helped add some moisture back to my skin that was sucked out by the desert heat on top of subduing my pain/redness.

The Bad: The jelly-like texture mask can be tricky to put on/navigate your first time around. It's much more delicate than a sheet mask and can rip/stick to itself if not handled with gentle care.

The Ugly: If this mask also gets discontinued I will hold a protest at my local Sephora with picket signs and everything. You have been warned, Sephora... don't you even think about it! ๐Ÿ˜›

@QueenMarceline, if they discontinue this mask, I will cry. Let me rephrase that, if they discontinue this mask (and I learn of that before it goes out of stock), I will go on a shopping spree for this mask and pick up as many as I can - online, in store. ๐Ÿ› And then when there is no more to be picked up, I will cry. ๐Ÿ˜… It really is such a great mask; there's at least one that lives in my skincare first aid kit. Gotta have one on hand at all times. 

@itsfi @QueenMarceline 

You ladies crack me up. My husband asked me what was so funny and I told him but all he heard, or actually misheard, was that the watermelon biocelllulose masks were going to be discontinued and he sorta panicked - lol. He really likes that mask - sometimes I think he may like masking more than I do. After he figured out they are still in stock, he commented that it was a good idea you two had to stock up if they do get discontinued and said that we should consider doing the same. ๐Ÿคฃ

@missy94612 Hahah! That's funny, hopefully that mask never goes away. Let's not even speak that into existence.

@itsfi Haha! I'm with ya there, sister. ๐Ÿ˜‚Which reminds me... let me throw a couple (hundred) of these bad boys in my "VIB SALE" cart. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Lol @QueenMarceline! I stocked up when the original Dr Jart Ceramidin sheet mask was reformulated. That kept my skin happy for months. Learned my lesson after a couple of my all time favorite sheet masks were discontinued. ๐Ÿ˜” 

@itsfi Honestly, I feel like a ton of amazing products are being either discontinued or reformulated? Seriously, very top notch products that were heavily praised for at least half a decade. Poof, gone? Not just masks (although sheet masks are a big one) but tons of great products, like:

Tatcha The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatment Moonlight 

The Marc Jacobs tightliner (and eyeliners)

The entire Marc Jacobs line (my mom loved almost all of their products dearly)

The Too Faced Primed and Poreless primer

The KVD liquid eyeliner

The list really could go on....

Seriously, it's super frustrating especially when someone has used a product for sometimes 5-10 years and now I have to "try out" 10 products to try to replace it and sometimes you really never find anything as good. ๐Ÿ˜• 

I guess orange is my theme ? Lol C is for Carrot and the Oatmeal mask is off theme 

Spoiler
First up is the real skin oatmeal mask. So this mask has a cream you push into the dry oatmeal mix and then you apply it with a spatula. It smells of oatmeal which is nice.  Like many of these kinds of masks, it sort of became a gel like texture on the skin, not dissimilar to the rubber masks. I used the spatula to take it off and then lightly rinsed.

My skin actually loved this and I would give it an A+. Maybe just from the post holidays or radiator but I was looking dry and blotchy and my skin really just looked and felt super soothed after using this. 100% will buy and use again. 

I also used the real carrot mask. This is a standard sheet mask with no scent. Unfortunately, as soon as I put this on in started tingling and it turned to burning within about a minute. Definitely had some kind of reaction to this and had to pull it off. 

B1949C79-380F-42ED-A042-CAA01E47A443.jpeg

โ€ƒ

744278F5-AEEA-4BD0-BB0E-C47C11A59E1D.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Kim888 The Purenskin sounds amazing! What an especially soothing mask, too bad you didnโ€™t have another to use after the Farmstay wreaked a little havoc๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@Kim888  Oh, that Oatmeal mask sounds fantastic! Definitely a great one to have on hand, especially when you have reactions like you did with the Carrot mask! Did your skin go back to normal pretty quickly after that one?

@Shosh85 @It did thankfully, I was a bit flushed for a bit but within an hour of rinsing it off it was all fine 

@Kim888 I love masks with more straight-forward and simple ingredients. This oatmeal and the carrot mask are definitely right up my alley. Thank you for sharing and for your review of the oatmeal mask in particular. I'd love to check that one out ๐Ÿ™‚

@Kim888, I've liked a few of the masks I've tried from Purenskin and that oatmeal one sounds wonderful. ๐Ÿ˜Š Oh my goodness, you're completely on theme with that one as well - oats are calming / soothing and oatmeal is a good source of vitamins, B-vitamins in particular! Besides, if your giving your skin what it needs with a mask, that's the best theme of all! ๐Ÿ˜

Love to see an A+ mask, @Kim888. That oatmeal one does sound super soothing. I'm glad to hear it worked out so nicely for you!

@Kim888 I hope the oatmeal mask came after the carrot one!  Yikes!  That oatmeal though.   Such a great masking ingredient and fab results!

@missjeanie Luckily yes! They were on two different days though!

@Kim888  Oh no, I'm so sorry about the reaction to the carrot mask. Do you have any idea what ingredient may have caused it?

That oatmeal mask looks fantastic! ๐Ÿ˜

@PrettyPaint @Iโ€™m not sure! Iโ€™m usually not sensitive and I think itโ€™s newer in my collection so itโ€™s not expired ! 

@Kim888 love the oatmeal mask!! So so so sorry your skin had a reaction to the carrot mask

I have a bit of the theme!!  As I'm trying to use masks up that are older I won't be on theme much lol. 

Spoiler
The day started with the 10-0-6 and I noticed today I have a few little spots popping up... could it be all the masking?  Could it be hormones?  Who knows.  What I do know is that if anyone wants the unopened bottle of this I have waiting (look sometimes we forget what we already have in our stash and buy seconds... not the first time this has happened to me... won't be the last) they are more than welcome to it.  It's gotten to the point where I don't even notice ANY peach scent... just fragrance.  Luckily... only maybe three applications left in the tube?  I layer it on thick and sit doing some work with it on for about 20 minutes and most of it has sunk in.  I do look more awake after wearing it... but I'm putting this on as soon as I wake up, so I AM more awake after I take it off.  
I used the Tony Moly Pureness 100 sheet mask after removal of the 10-0-6.  The mask material is cotton that is unbleached.  I really did stop to think about how many fabrics we bleach unnecessarily.  Why do we have bleached face masks?  I mean, they're sealed in there and if people know they're unbleached isn't that just saving the company an extra step and us an added chemical next to our skin (I get that the bleached is washed out but you know what I mean).  Anyhow, the mask fit okay but it wasn't the most amazing fabric for feel or adhesion.  It was just.... run of the mill.  It actually did tingle for about 30 seconds or so, but when I was considering removing it it stopped.  I wore it for about 20 minutes then massaged in the extra serum left on my face and nowwwww I felt more awake.  I think masking in the morning is really helping plump up my skin with moisture/hydration that I loose at night in this stupid cold.  Why do I live where the air hurts my face?  
Pre shower last night I busted out the dreaded Sara Happ Lip Mask.  This is my theme!  This is a sample that DID NOT make me buy it.  Sara Happ was nice enough to reach out a few years ago to a few of us and sent this lip mask.  I am still just as confused about this now as I was then.  It's still the same consistency and every time I look at my open mask shelf I see this and just wonder 'why'?   I went into last night thinking I'll give one more go before I declutter.  Well.... I'm going to try and use it just like my 10-0-6 and hate pan it.  I'm super thankful for the brand reaching out and loved trying something new, but I just wasn't sure why I would want to put clay on lips?  I mean... what is it supposed to be drawing out of my lips?  I decided I needed to google this, just in case I was crazier than I think I am.  My google research says that it's meant to sooth dehydrated lips and plump them.  Well my lips aren't so bad that they're in need of big time soothing and I'm not normally a fan of plumping lip products, though this one does not hurt.  I won't buy this.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  It's not bad.... but... why?
Finished off my masking post shower with the good ol' Yaddah Snail Mask.  Solid filler mask.  Would purchase again should I ever come across on sale and my collection be ... less than it is now lol.  This could also be considered a mask that a sample made me buy... @itsfi first introduced me to snail masks via this thread and some lovely unicorn mail... She's totally to blame for my snail juice love!

IMG_1861.jpg

1 Reply
testing