Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missjeanie, you're masking, treating your skin with what it needs (hello winter, please stop sucking my skin dry!!! ๐Ÿ˜ซ), and working through your stash - that's awesome! 

Love โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ the sample made you buy it tie-in! ๐ŸŒ I remember finding those Yadah snail masks in TJ Maxx / Marshalls and going crazy! I picked up 5 boxes. FIVE!!! Yeah, it was then that I realized I had a problem with sheet masks. Yes, only then. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I will not  be doing that ever again! But, you gotta love an E for escargot mask! ๐Ÿ˜‰ You also have an A for anti-aging ingredients theme going with all the masks here! Just sayin'! 

It'll be interesting to see which masks are ones you'd repurchase after you make your way through your mask stash, and if there's another snail mask that you pick up before this one. I'll stay tuned to find out. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@itsfi I know there are a few more snails in there to be had over the year!  I'm curious to try and find my favourite masks in several areas, hydrating, glowing/brightening, snail, clearing and full on save me my face is flaking off.  Snail is the only (at least so far) ingredient that I know I love and want to find my favourite of. 

That will be a lot of fun @missjeanie! I'm interested in seeing what your picks will be for those mask categories at the end of the year!

I totally feel you on using up some older masks. Definitely the perfect time for that, @missjeanie

@quspork I think from my little frolic through my collection last week I'll be on the older mask train for the next month or so lol I proooooobably should have checked some dates before now lol

@missjeanie Same! I went through my mask stash this week to re-organize (by date) and have a handful of masks that probably should have been used before the end of 2021 so those are moved up to the front on the pack. 

@missjeanie you make me laugh!! I swear you never liked that lip mask ๐Ÿ˜† I didn't mind it, I kinda liked the pink shade, you have reminded me to see what condition mine is in

@lmaster @missjeanie, I tried so hard to make that lip mask work for me as it was intended - on my lips! But it was just not meant to be; I ended up repurposing it, but it was fun to have received it to try. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi repurpose?? Do tell ๐Ÿ™

lol @lmaster! I rotated it as a โ€œmaskโ€ for my elbows, my heels, sometimes even all over the soles of my feet. One time, I made a whole pedicure / foot care routine with it - soles of feet, rinse off and then do a foot soak, then moisturized my feet and put on a pair of socks, though you could substitute a foot mask like SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Foot Mask in Coconut + Lavender for that last step. I donโ€™t know if it performed any miracles but I did finish the jar and well, that felt like a miracle at the time. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It was a never ending jar!! @missjeanie 

@itsfi wow!! Great idea,,I would of never thought to repurpose it in that way!! 

@lmaster, I was having a heck of a time trying to work through it so I just started finding body parts to try it out on. ๐Ÿ˜‚ In hindsight, I should have just called it quits and de-stashed it. Lesson learned.

Lol I love the idea of a mask just for your elbows @itsfi !  I do feel like if I end up finishing it it will be a miracle!

@missjeanie- can't neglect our elbows! ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@lmaster I really never did! lol... I think the shade and the fun looks I gave myself in the mirror were my favourite part!  That and that a brand wanted little ol' me to try their product.  I actually had such hate for it in my mind, but it really wasn't as bad as I remembered. 

Take two! Note to self: always, always, always type up a post in Notes.

Going with C for Camellia and Citrus.

1DDBA971-9195-4FF2-BEE6-71D2471D7278.jpeg

Spoiler

Tonight I used the Chanel Hydra Beauty Camellia Repair Mask. This is the second time I have tried this, with some tweaks based on my first experience.

The scent of Chanel skincare is something I have enjoyed in the past, so I fully expected it in the mask. It would be safe to say this is highly fragranced. On my first use, I applied a thin layer to my entire face. The scent became nearly overwhelming. I would almost dare to say that it was too much of a good thing. The next time, I applied it only to my cheeks, the one area of my face that tends to be dry.

The texture of this mask is where it excels. It is a thick, matte, almost waxy cream that seems to almost disappear on the skin. If not for the scent, I would likely forget I am wearing it, and head off to sleep. Suggested wear time is 10 minutes, but I left it on around 20 each time. By that time, the mask was invisible to my eyes, although I could still catch the scent and feel it on my skin. Removing it was easier than I anticipated. Splashing with water and using my hands to rinse off was all that was needed.

02BF65E9-BD30-4ACB-B186-4EA5B8C06BCD.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Results were as expected. My skin felt soft and supple. The thing is, there are a plethora of hydrating/repairing masks that perform just as well, without the heavy-hitting fragrance. I suspected that might be the case going in, and I might need to work around it. Using it as a โ€˜spotโ€™ or โ€˜patchโ€™ treatment for dry areas, while detoxing the ready of my face with a clay mask, seemed to do the trick. I doubt I would reach for this as a repairing mask, but rather as a special occasion mask for times when I need a little mood boost.

Ingredients:

Spoiler

Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Glycol Stearate Se, Jojoba Esters, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylpropanediol, Polyglycerin-3, Panthenol, C10-18 Triglycerides, Isostearyl Isostearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Phytosteryl/Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Parfum (Fragrance), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Acacia Decurrens Flower Wax, Helianthus Annuus Cera Seed (Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax), Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenylpropanol, Phytic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol, Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid, IL40A.

The Lohas no:hj Milky Glow Shining Mask is a dry winter skinโ€™s dream: soft, cozy sheet drenched in a generous amount of opaque white serum. It fit beautifully, remained in place for close to 30 minutes, and left my skin amply hydrated with minimal tackiness. This might be my favorite of those I have tried from this brand! Oddly enough, this mask has a boatload of citrus and other fruit extracts. Although it did not irritate my skin, it is something to note for those who are prone to sensitivities.

Ingredients:

Spoiler
4923FB84-6B76-492F-9147-4DDEA5EEE520.jpeg

I have been using the Glow Recipe Avocado Fine Line Eye Cream with Retinol 0.5 oz/ 15 mL for a couple of months now, 3-4 times a week. I like the way it feels, and seems to fill in the skin around my eyes. I have not experienced any dry or irritated skin, which is another bonus considering it has retinol. I would consider repurchasing this at some point. The Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Original is an old favorite ๐Ÿ’—

@Kim888 @TraceyEB  

@eshoe  Good to know about the fragrance on the Chanel mask! The texture looks like something I'd love, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle the fragrance.
Glad you found a way to use it up ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 the texture is ideal for a hydrating mask, from application, how it absorbs, to how easily it rinses off. If the scent could just be dialed down a notch, or two, or threeโ€ฆit would be a pretty stellar mask! 

@eshoe, oh no! Sorry to hear the fragrance on the Chanel mask was so overwhelming for you. I tend to pass on Chanel skincare for that reason and stick to their color products, which though fragranced as well, are less so for me than their skincare.Nice that you've found a workaround for it and have a special occasions mask on hand! ๐Ÿ˜€

Itโ€™s funny, @itsfi - some of their color products (shadows) tend to run sheerer than they appear, which is kind of the opposite problem. I did not recall their skincare being so highly fragranced; selective memory, I suppose๐Ÿ˜„ 

Workarounds are necessary here, so true! 

@eshoe Thanks for the reminder about that eye mask! I have a jar of that somewhere that I haven't even opened yet. I think I got it as part of a holiday  set in late 2020 and I better try to use that soon. Also, love your leaf plate!

1 Reply
testing