Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missjeanie @Shosh85, I've tried the kure and soulfood mask. Triple Rx still has my heart. As between the other two, the kure one is nice, but it's not Triple Rx level nice. amika Triple Rx, Garnier papaya and the original Briogeo honey masks are my top 3. 

@itsfi Yup, those are my top 3 favorites as well!! I've tried Amika's Soulfood, The Kure and Flash mask. I think they're all fine, but to me, none are as good as Triple Rx. ๐Ÿ™ @missjeanie 

@Shosh85 @itsfi Okay... I'm going to have to re-try the Garnier Papaya... I don't remember falling for it, but the Triple Rx and original Briogio Bear were favourites.  The only other one that sticks out in my mind is the stupid little tube I get in with my hair dye.  Why doesn't Feria market this stuff???  I do love the Christophe Robin Prickly Pear mask... but not so much the price attached to it.  Have either of you tried Dae, Pureology, or Kerastase masks?  Those were the brands I was looking to try next... maybe?

@missjeanie @Shosh85, I tried Kerastase years ago. It was long ago that don't remember it well enough to say whether it was better than the amika, Garnier or Briogeo. The Dae piqued my curiosity when the line first launched at Sephora, but I reminded myself that I need to finish some that I have on hand first. Trying to be good - the focus is on the "trying". ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi @missjeanie I tried a Kerastase mask, but only used it once because it was heavily fragranced and gave me headache. ๐Ÿ˜•

That is an excellent reason for only using it once!! @Shosh85 @missjeanie Sorry it gave you a headache; so many hair products are heavily fragranced, and with added fragrance. I donโ€™t generally mind but occasionally there will be a hair product that is just too much!! ๐Ÿ˜ฃ Makes me wonder what these products smell like before the including fragrance. ๐Ÿคจ 

BTW, I thought I read somewhere on BIC (and of course now I cannot find it) that amika Kure is / was the 2.0 version of Triple Rx. I like Kure but I donโ€™t find it the same. I did look up the INCI list for both (Kure online and amika from the jar) and while they have similar ingredients, not the same and not in the same order (which I take to mean different concentrations). 

@itsfi @Shosh85 Good to know about the crazy fragrance.  I don't mind fragrance in haircare... if it's a scent I love.  But I need to now that I love it.  I picked up the Dae S&C but haven't cracked into them just yet.  Figure I'll do that before the next sale to see if I'm still into the mask idea.  

@itsfi the mask sheet is so pretty!! Glad it fit you so well. I've been noticing as well my skin is soaking the serum in rather quickly

@lmaster, itโ€™s definitely winter!! ๐Ÿฅถ I think the combination of the cold and having the heat running is making our skin more parched. Iโ€™ll need to do a better job of attending to that with the rest of my skincare routine. ๐Ÿ“ 

@itsfi That sheet mask sounds like a dream!  Love when they can just be smoothed into place with no surgery needed.  I'm another huge fan of that Amika hair mask.   It just does my hair right.  I think I've gone through at least 4 or 5 of them, the new soul food one just isn't the same. 

Super curious now about how everyone incorporates sheet masks into their routine.  I usually do a mask on clean skin, then go in right after with my skincare serums, and moisturizers.  I never thought to do a serum first (as much as I've tried... I'm not much of a toner gal).  Might give this a go this week to switch things up.  

@missjeanie, layering a hydrating serum under a sheet masks can make for a nice boost of hydration. When I first started getting into skincare, I learned about the whole idea of layering your products thinnest to thickest as it helps with absorption. One night I used a sheet mask with a thicker creamier serum (ahhhh! just saying that makes my skin happy ๐Ÿ˜Š) and found that my hydrating serum (which was less thick than the serum cream from the sheet mask) sat atop the cream and took a long time to absorb which wasn't typically the case when I just used the serum on its own; I also noticed that if I waited to apply it after the cream from the mask had fully absorbed, I'd be waiting for a while. So I tried applying it on before my sheet mask and have been doing that for the most part.

I will also say that it makes my general skincare and nighttime routine easier too - cleansing, serum and sheet mask steps in the bathroom, then I head to my bedroom and get myself all warm and cozy under the electric blanket while reading or journaling or catching up on news, then 30 minutes later, I can just take off my sheet mask, pat-pat-pat any excess from the mask into my skin and move onto the rest of my evening skincare routine which sits on top of my nightstand. No need to get back up and out of bed. There's a level of laziness there as it is really hard to get out from under the warm covers, especially these days, but I tell myself it's more efficient this way. Hahaha! 

@itsfi I'm going to try this layering tomorrow with a serum under the mask.  I'm all about hydration and more absorption!  Also... I'm a fan of your 'lazy' night time routine!  I usually do a routine in the washroom then another when I hit bed for some last minute product too!

@missjeanie, Iโ€™ll be interested in hearing what you think about it. Hope it works out for you. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ The lazy night routine has its perks, thatโ€™s for sure; it also has made it more likely that I donโ€™t fall asleep before finishing up my skincare routine and in the winter I need to finish it up - gotta have that moisturizer and face oil, and on some nights, the sleeping mask! 

Absolutely @itsfi .  I did a mini look through all my beauty stuff last night and I'm pretty set on hair masks until the next sale I think.  It might be the one area of my stash that I'm not set through the next century so I'll be picking up one or two to try out.  

I have a line up on my nightstand at the moment.  Facial spray, sleeping mask  (hydrating), sleeping mask (all in one you forgot to do all your skincare), Latisse, body retinol, body oil, body lotion, and two different lip masks/balms.   I'm actually finding having them all lined up there reminds me to put them on before bed and my skin has been thanking me this winter.  

Hahaha! I'm the opposite as you on the hair masks @missjeanie. I am set with those and non-tinted lip balms for a good while; for the latter, that's even after donating and gifting a handful of unopen backups last year - yeah, I'm not sure why I felt like I needed backups. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Last year, I put myself on a no-buy for most of the year for bath and body products and that was really helpful; this year, that honor goes to hair masks. Hoping that, and not opening any new ones for the time being, will help me get through at least a few of the partially used items. I have plenty to have on a healthy rotation so my hair isn't getting used to any half a dozen hair masks. ๐Ÿคฃ Yep, yep, yep, skincare at your nightstand is a great reminder. Love it! ๐Ÿ’— 

This Week: Share Your (Mask) Routine

The Focus: Broccoli, Vitamin C, Clay Masks & Cucumbers

I had quite the masking/mini-spa day experience yesterday morning. First, I started off with my Murad Vitamin C cleanser (which I'm looking to replace, any suggestions?) on my clarisonic. I continued by trying out my new-ish buy, The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion. I really enjoyed this product and will definitely continue using a few times per week. 

unnamed.jpeg

Then, I continued with my Tea Tree Clay Mask which is a part of my project pan and I'm still dealing with some blemishes from the breakout I've been complaining about which seems like forever. I only applied this to my problem areas and kept it on until fully and totally dry (~35-40 minutes). My full review of this mask has already been featured on this thread.

unnamed.jpeg

After washing off my mask, I decided to do one of my "steam potions". This time I added lemons, tea tree oil, a tea tree toner tab (that's the fizz you see) and cucumber. I thought the cucumbers would melt in the water but surprisingly they held up very well and I noticed a slight "tacky" hydration and refreshing effect in comparison to when I didn't throw in the cucumbers. It was a really good add, plus it gives the water a really nice natural cucumber-lemon scent instead of the tea tree. A more pleasant smell is always a plus when it comes to steaming.

unnamed.jpeg

Further on, I decided to throw on my Farmacy Brightening/Hydrating Purple Broccoli mask (appears to be discontinued). I had a couple of these laying around and thought they matched my "theme". After I took off the mask, I went in with my Drunk Elephant C-Tango. 

dss.jpeg

Purple Broccoli Mask Review:

Spoiler
This was a "juicy" mask and had lots of leftover serum in the packet while I used on my neck/check area. The fit was great other than being a bit off-shaped in my chin area. However, I did notice this sheet mask dried out a lot faster than the ones I am used to (which is odd because of how serum-soaked it was inititally). I noticed considerable drying out by minute 8-10 and the mask was completely dried out into a dried sheet in about 20 minutes. There was no noticeable scent (at least not to me). I enjoyed the effects it had on my face but honestly, I don't think it's anything out of this world. It's also discontinued, but you aren't missing out on anything too amazing. Still, I really enjoyed the masking experience.

Lastly, I finished off with my Vitamin C serums and boosters. My Drunk Elephant C-Firma, my Pacifica Drops (a new product from my December ULTA sale haul) and my Andalou Naturals Vit C + Turmeric serum. I really like this combo, the Andalou does add a touch of heat from the turmeric but the effect was actually quite nice on the winter and not uncomfortable whatsoever.

sfssa.jpeg

@QueenMarceline, before I read your post, I saw the pic of your steam potion and thought "ooooh, refreshing spa water!" Minus the tea tree items, of course. ๐Ÿ˜€ I've not combined my vitamin C serums before - do you mix all of them together, like a vitamin C serum cocktail, or do you layer them, one on top of the other? 

@itsfi Haha, that's funny. Definitely don't want to drink the tea tree ๐Ÿ˜‚I actually mixed the Drunk Elephant and Pacifica and then once that sunk in a bit i put on the Andalou Turmeric one. That one is more of a "cream" consistency in comparison to the other serums so it was a nice "ending" so-to-speak. 

@QueenMarceline  Your steam potion is making me thirsty! Haha! It looks and sounds so great! 
I can't remember if I tried that particular Farmacy mask but I do remember trying a few. Those have been discontinued for quite a while now, so I wonder if it dried quickly because it was expired..... I know that has happened with masks that I've used that were expired. 

Glad you had a nice little spa day! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 That very well could be it. It's definitely had some age on it.

@QueenMarceline your steam pot looks quite delicious!! ๐Ÿ˜† Great masking

2 Replies
testing