Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Shosh85, and thereโ€™s green tea and black tea too! ๐Ÿง‹ A boba emoji exists ๐Ÿง‹ but no sheet mask one. ๐Ÿ˜” 

@itsfi  I love the black tea one! The green tea one seems to be the most different from the line - not as sweet of a scent as the others 

@Shosh85, interesting. I feel like that is similar to the boba as well - the green tea boba does taste less sweet too. It has been a long iwhile since Iโ€™ve had an actual boba drink; whenever I see one of these masks it makes me think I should grab one - a bubble tea mask and an actual boba drink. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Well now doesn't this just sound lovely all the way round @Shosh85 !  I need to use some of mine in the next month or so... Black Cherry sounds so nice. 

@missjeanie  So far I've really been liking this line! Love a good fruity scent! ๐Ÿ˜‹

@Shosh85 Ooh I can't wait to try mine!

@Samtian  It's such a good one! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I'm still working on week 1 of organizing my stash lol.  I went through and pulled all the Oozoo injection style masks to use up in the next day or two and then did a quick suitcase run through to pull out any super old expired masks.  I'm not personally bothered by the dates, but I do recognize that FIFO is a good system to avoid having dried out masks etc.  I have my masks in a bit of an odd ball system.  Masks I bought myself pre summer 2021 are all in a suitcase.  Those are the 'use first' ones for me.  I've now got them organized by expiry year for the most part... I'm sure I missed some.  Then I have MOTM and Unicorn Mail in separate chests and I feel like those are my special masks cause they all hold BIC love.  Those will be the ones I use once I've got the suitcase whittled down a bit more.  Then I have the 2021 summer mask purchases.  So I've pulled out any 2019 dated masks to use first with the injection masks.  

So this masking session... I used the 10-0-6 peach mask again... be prepared to see this until it's gone.  I've moved from "I like the scent even though it doesn't do much efficacy wise" to 'hate panning' it.  I do like the scent okay... but it does nothing.  Most of my wash off masks do something without dousing my face in perfume.  Worst part... I'm 110% sure I have a second tube of this. 

The Oozoo blue injection mask, Hydro Lift was actually totally good to go.  I like the material on these when they're saturated enough to hold to my face.  No cutting needed, it smooths out quite nicely.  Was my face hydrated and lifted post mask... well... no.  I mean.. sure there was some hydration, but I totally needed to do my skincare right afterwards, yet I'm not mad at the mask.  It IS cutesy and fun with the syringe and it did adhere fine.  Would I buy again... not likely, but never know. I'm a sucker. lol

I also did the #sephora collection cleansing scalp scrub that apparently doesn't' want to link after giving myself a mini haircut (not a normal thing for me... cases be high up here and I'm not willing to sit at a hairdressers).  I have to say, the lather was quite nice, dense and plentiful.  The scent wasn't exactly giving me a full on love, but I only noticed it when I stuck my nose to the jar.  My hair really did feel quite straw like as I rinsed it out, which I kind of expected based on @itsfi 's review and past experience with cleansing scrubs. There may have even been a slight tingle sensation.  I had some left over conditioner from when I dye my hair and used that as a mask afterwards and today my hair feels really nice.  I don't do cleansing scrubs often as I worry that they'll affect the dye I use and I don't pile on product most days.  My scalp and hair both feel super clean and almost have a bit of swing in my hair today.  Tonight will be figuring out how to do a dye job on myself using two different dyes and maybe a lightener?  lol We'll see how that goes, but at least my hair feels nice today. 

IMG_1807.jpg

@missjeanie, that 10.0.6 mask seems like so much work to get through - impressed you are keeping with it. Do you think you could repurpose it as a foot mask? Or something for your hands? Or elbows? Or something else where you don't have to feel like you're wearing perfume on your face? 

I had a good chuckle at "Would I buy again... not likely, but never know. I'm a sucker. lol๐Ÿ˜‚ That is so relatable. I have only been inside a TJ Maxx / Marshall 2 times since the pandemic - helps that the one in the city has permanently closed and the next closest ones require a good 30+ minute drive and I don't want or need to go that badly. But it is easy to get sucked in by the sheet masks that they have. 

Ahhhh, good ol' FIFO. Makes it easy to organize the mask stash and to get through them in a methodical way. You're doing great, missjeanie! Keep it up! ๐Ÿ‘Š

@itsfi I feel like at some point the 10-0-6 will be used elsewhere... problem is... I still have another body mask and actual foot masks to get through.  I'll keep going using this as is for now... it's about 1/3 full and I suspect that since I'm layering quite thick I'll get through it in a week or so.  

Ha... I'm kind of seeing the lack of TJ's in my life currently as a bit of a gift... I need to use more of what I have before I allow myself to go wild in the US again.  Look out Ulta and TJ's and TJ's next time I get state side though! 

@missjeanie  I'm always a little hesitant to use hair scrubs, because I've heard they can cause micro-tears on the scalp, but they also just dry my hair out too much if I don't follow up with deep conditioner or hair mask. I'll finish up the one from the gratis, but won't be using it very often and will be careful not to apply too much pressure against my scalp when I do.

I'll be interested to hear/see what you decide to do with your hair!

Very good point @Shosh85 .  The salt particles were quite large in the SC from the gratis.  I could see how they could be bad for micro tears.  I usually only do once a month or so before I dye my hair.  This one was okay with the mask afterwards, without the mask... forget it. I'd be trying to brush my hair for a good 48 hours after.  

@missjeanie lol I have been trimming my hair since it hit, so like two years now!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ But I'm really ready for something new, like inches cut,  we'll see! I think the mask looks pretty cool though

@lmaster This was my third go at it.  Lets just say I'm lucky my hair is long and I curl it in such a way that no one would notice the lack of professional help.  I'm still not sure how to tackle the new dye job I want... I feel the need for something new too.  Purple hair is in the works lol

@missjeanie that sounds so fun!!

B for Beauugreen and a winter mask routine

The masking portion of my overall skincare routine is fairly simple and basic these days, usually involving just a sheet mask after the essence or serum step and before the moisturizer step of my skincare routine.  Occasionally, I will incorporate another mask into my routine, be it a hair mask or a wash off clay based mask that I concentrate just on my T-zone.  I typically keep my sheet masks on for 30 minutes, but lately I've noticed that my wear time has hovered around the 20-25 minute mark, which I'm presuming is due to my skin being more dehydrated and dry as a result of both the weather being a lot more cold and the heater running all day. Now that I think about that, I may need to bring my mini humidifier with me to work to help combat the effects of the latter.

Last night, instead of my usual routine, I decided to use the Beauugreen K-Beauty Korea Mask Gung after applying a toner, which, I guess you can say is the more traditional way of using a mask, or, at least, it's the approach that is called for in the instructions of most sheet masks. 
B - Beaugreen + winter routine (lg).jpg
Sheet Mask:  
Spoiler
Material, Adherence & Fit:  
I confess that I only picked up this Beauugreen mask because I thought the packaging was pretty - the illustration is of Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul, the first and largest of the royal palaces built during the Joseon Dynasty. The sheet leans slightly thinner than your standard sheet mask and has this beautiful honeycomb-like pattern all over one side of it (the side facing out) that reminds me of the pattern on the Papa Recipe Bombee Rose Gold Honey Mask Pack. Like with nearly all sheet masks, adherence was good for me. Fit was about as perfect as they come for my face shape - the sheet was about 1" - 1-1/2" too long at the chin / jawline area and though the openings for the eyes could have been wider, there was enough pliability in the material that I was able to make it work without having to make any incisions to it. It's rare that a sheet mask fits my face shape and features this way so a special note has been made! lol. 

Beauugreen Gung sheetBeauugreen Gung sheetDesign pattern (close up)Design pattern (close up)

Serum, Performance & Results:  
The sheet is well coated in a clear, unscented, serum-like essence that has a medium viscosity. The mask wore very comfortably the entire time. There was a noticeable amount of tack after pressing and patting in the little essence that remained after removing the mask; I wouldn't describe it as sticky nor would I personally say it is an uncomfortable amount, but it's more than the tacky-to-the-touch feel I ordinarily experience with sheet masks. I planned on waiting until the tack subsided but ended up falling asleep before that happened - ack! I woke up a couple of hours later and finished up with my skincare routine but before doing so, did a visual and touch inspection of my face and was pleased with the results - I noticed some diminished redness and a fresh-faced radiance to my complexion, and, despite not having put on moisturizer after the mask, my skin felt hydrated and moisturized, lightly nourished and bouncy this morning. These results were still present this morning and I have no complaints with that. 

Overall Thoughts
This mask surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to fit so well as it did but am very pleased with that, and with the results. This will be a repurchase for me, if it's still around when I'm due for another sheet mask haul. 
Other Masks: I decided to reach for some goodies from my project pan items as part of my masking routine last night.
Spoiler
amika Triple Rx Mask is one of my favorite hair masks and I only know about it becuase of @Shosh85 and her review of it years ago. It conditions and nourishes my strands, leaving my hair feeling softer and smoother, and looking silky and healthy every time I use it. It's been discontinued for some time but when my nearby TJ Maxx finally started carry it, I stocked up. 

Innisfree Lip Sleeping Mask with Green Tea is a thicker-leaning, slightly heavy, gel balm that has enough slip to it to allow it apply fairly easily. I do feel a bit of a grainy texture to it whenever I apply it to my lips but it's not harsh. I like that my lips feel like they are being nourished when I have on this sleeping mask. It wears well through the night and when I get up in the morning, my lips feel moisturized.

Nail care is on the agenda for the year and I've been trying to use Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil every night. This week wasn't so great for that but I did get to it last night. I like that this oil absorbs quickly and has a nice, light fragrance to it. It's one that I can use daily and more than once per day as well.  
Thank you @missy94612 for this new theme! ๐Ÿ˜
Tags:

@itsfi 

Nice masking routine. The holo on that sheet mask is very pretty. 

@missy94612, thank you! It's been great to see how everyone incorporates mask into their winter routine. The holographic print on the sheet was a nice surprise. Wondering whether the other sheet mask from the brand that I picked up will also have a similar holo print.

@itsfi  

Thank YOU! I learn so much about masking and skincare in general from you. I've loved reading about everyone's routines. Gives me lots to think about as I work on my regimen.

@itsfi You're really making me want to try that sheet mask, the pattern is stunning on it and it sounds very worthwhile from your description. I love the amika Soulfood Nourishing Hair Mask (which is what I thought yours was at first), but I have not tried the triple rX. I think I have a full stock of the soulfood but I'll definitely want to try this one out too. My hair seems to really enjoy amika products most of the time.

@QueenMarceline, I was not expecting the pretty design on the sheet mask - I actually thought it was netting / backing at first. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I tried a sheet mask from this brand last year and was just 'meh' about it, but this one has now caused me to be  very curious about other masks from the brand. Here we go... ๐Ÿ˜‰

testing